LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi current students,

I have to get my new FL license and registration done and it's gonna be before 5pm so do we get out before 5pm anytime the first month?

According to the schedule that is posted on the server for you guys, during orientation week you'll be out at:

3:00PM Monday
4:00PM Tuesday and Wednesday
3:00PM or 5:00PM Thursday and Friday (depends on which lab group you're in).

For the next few weeks after that you'll get out at 3:00PM or 5:pM (depending on lab group) on all days except Tuesday. Tuesday may be earlier.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor :D

Yes, I think I find humor in more things than most... Many people are just way too serious and life is too short... :thumbdown:

Did I ever tell u guys how I got a laugh attack before taking the MCAT, because I was looking around and you would think my fellow test takers were walking into a concentration camp. The girl next to me kept filling her cheeks with air and blowing air puttering out threw her lips. I lost it...

Yes, I think I find humor in more things than most... Many people are just way too serious and life is too short... :thumbdown:

Well.. you do know the old adage: seriosity killed the cat.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a similar note, does LECOM offer discounts on Microsoft Office? Looking for a mac version :rolleyes:.

V-MAN! Dude. I totally forgot your name at Applebee's last night for a second.

Don't hate.

So...we start this class thing tomorrow...this is going to rock!

Yeah its too bad we have to start this class thing. I was kinda enjoying going to the beach and doing nothing all day.

Yeah its too bad we have to start this class thing. I was kinda enjoying going to the beach and doing nothing all day.

Wait...

Are you saying that we can't do that anymore? I never saw that in the fine print...

Bump... because we deserve to be at the top!

anyone have any histo notes i could see?? im really having trouble with it :-/

bc i checked the noteserver! are you still going to be using it??

anyone have any histo notes i could see?? im really having trouble with it :-/

bc i checked the noteserver! are you still going to be using it??

Hey! I just realized that I still don't know who you are...I think...

I think BC has been too busy to even attempt to update it...let me know if you need help...I can sit down with you and go over it a little. I'm ok on epi and getting better at connective...

Btw...this school is amazing.

Here are a couple of online sites/references I have used off and on:

-http://mycanes.miami.edu/~r.aycock/medschoollinks.html Just a bunch of links to other sites all grouped into categories. One of my jumping off points when I know what subject I want to search around in.

And for histo specifically I would read through the notes on this one after going through our notes and book. Has fairly decent overviews of the histo of each major "system" along with pictures/slides. I'm definitely someone who kind of needs to see the "big picture" before I go filling in the details so this helped me kind of form a base structure for histo --> http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/

Hey you! I know who you are ThisisYourLife, but we've not met in person (yet). Come say "hi" to me. I'm the only Stephen in the class, so you've got to know who I am, I'm sure.

As for the note server, I will be updating it sometime this week, hopefully Thursday or Wednesday. I have a PLETHORA of things to upload, so if you get stuff from your bigsib that you think would rock on the site, please let me know. I am usually at school from 730AM until 1000PM every night, so finding time to upload between sleep and fasting (money is running low) is tough.

On the upside, this school is AMAZING. People are awesome.. everything. I even got to meet nlax in person for lunch the other day. How could life be anymore great?! And, no, that was not sarcastic. I love LECOM-B in every way.

Sorry for the vomit of love, but I have never been so happy/eager to learn until I came here... what a weird sensation.

Off to bed. I have PBL at 8AM. We'll see how my group goes...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I am just having a lot of trouble because this book is SO DENSE!! I was and am not good at this stuff.. I am thinking of focusing mainly on the lectures and then looking up some info on other sources.. maybe geting some sort of "made ridiculously easy" book.. any suggestions on one of those kinds of books??

digitl.. I know who you are! I have seen you a few times.. not from near though.. I actually haven't "formally" met anybody on here yet.. I talked to BC a few times in lab (I dont even know if he knows who I was) to ask questions and stuff.. but I am pretty shy.. which is a major problem of mine, so I haven't gone around introducing myself!

also, does anyone know what format the exams are in?? multiple choice, fill in (with or without choices).. etc.??

Thanks guys! I am just having a lot of trouble because this book is SO DENSE!! I was and am not good at this stuff.. I am thinking of focusing mainly on the lectures and then looking up some info on other sources.. maybe geting some sort of "made ridiculously easy" book.. any suggestions on one of those kinds of books??

digitl.. I know who you are! I have seen you a few times.. not from near though.. I actually haven't "formally" met anybody on here yet.. I talked to BC a few times in lab (I dont even know if he knows who I was) to ask questions and stuff.. but I am pretty shy.. which is a major problem of mine, so I haven't gone around introducing myself!

Well come say hi! BC (I guess it's ok to call him Stephen now, since he outed himself...but not THAT way...lol) tried to point you out across the lounge the other day, but there were waaay too many people...

Yeah, the lounge has way to many people.. I dont know what was going on in there today, but there was a line out the door! I don't go in there (except for that advisor lunch thing) so I dont know if that is how it always is?? And THANK GOD for multiple choice.. that will help so much!!

although I don't really understand how labeling for anatomy can be done with multiple choice.. unless there is none? I figured they would be like the lab practice slides we got.

You've talked to me in lab?! Hrm.. now I'm gonna find you today and formally introduce myself!

Yeah, the lounge has way to many people.. I dont know what was going on in there today, but there was a line out the door! I don't go in there (except for that advisor lunch thing) so I dont know if that is how it always is?? And THANK GOD for multiple choice.. that will help so much!!

although I don't really understand how labeling for anatomy can be done with multiple choice.. unless there is none? I figured they would be like the lab practice slides we got.

Dude...the cafeteria people are so nice and most of their food is pretty good. The other day they had this red pepper and gouda soup that was AMAZING.

For the practical portion of anatomy: All you do is show a slide, and have the questions already written on the test...Like question 131: identify this muscle. Then they put up a slide and say this is #131. The slide stays up for a minute.

We're tracking you down today.

I actually haven't "formally" met anybody on here yet.. I talked to BC a few times in lab (I dont even know if he knows who I was) to ask questions and stuff.. but I am pretty shy.. which is a major problem of mine, so I haven't gone around introducing myself!

You met me! Even if it was sort of in passing by our lockers. No need to be shy, we're all in the same boat here. I'm feeling the same as you with the histo. I'm fine with the anatomy, but if you were to throw up a slide and ask me to identify where it came from I'd be pretty lost. I'd just prefer to stick with the gross stuff. The reading was putting me to sleep, I've decided (after talking to a few of the 2nd years and such) to stick to the power points mostly and elaborate on the material with the book. There's just no way that I can read that much material and retain any of it. If I focus on the outcomes on the syllabus, at least I'll get those down.

^^haha yeah I met you.. but I knew you before we started going here too :) .. I met you at our lecom E interview!!

yeah. I started doing powerpoints only last night.. and its WAY better!!

OK...since the big question is histo, here's my take on it. Know the slides in the book and in your lab ppt like the back of your hand. Know all the words in bold in the text and the general concepts as well. The histo book actually goes a lot into the physiology of things sometimes, and that stuff is fair game on the tests. Keep in mind that the questions will often be second order for your practical test as well. IOW, they don't always just ask what the arrow is pointing to. You'll have to know what it is and sometimes answer a question about what it does, or what it's attached to, or what it's function is, etc., as well.

On thought: The trend is often to try to rush through the lab slides and get finished as quickly as possible. Don't do that. Work at your own pace and find some others in your group who like to work at your speed. Those people who fly through it often get things wrong. Some groups try to divide up the work and share answers. Try not to do that. Not only because you'll get yelled at for doing it that way (and you WILL) but because searching for the answers helps ypu learn it better. Then, get a group together and go over the answers for your labs before test day....because some of them are kind of deceiving.

Try to do reallly well on that first test. It only counts 10%, but it's the easiest one you'll have. You should have a pretty good idea of what tests will be like after that. They'll have the same kind of questions, just a little harder and there'll be a lot more of them. IMO, they're also very similar to what you'll see on COMLEX too.

OK...since the big question is histo, here's my take on it. Know the slides in the book and in your lab ppt like the back of your hand. Know all the words in bold in the text and the general concepts as well. The histo book actually goes a lot into the physiology of things sometimes, and that stuff is fair game on the tests. Keep in mind that the questions will often be second order for your practical test as well. IOW, they don't always just ask what the arrow is pointing to. You'll have to know what it is and sometimes answer a question about what it does, or what it's attached to, or what it's function is, etc., as well.

On thought: The trend is often to try to rush through the lab slides and get finished as quickly as possible. Don't do that. Work at your own pace and find some others in your group who like to work at your speed. Those people who fly through it often get things wrong. Some groups try to divide up the work and share answers. Try not to do that. Not only because you'll get yelled at for doing it that way (and you WILL) but because searching for the answers helps ypu learn it better. Then, get a group together and go over the answers for your labs before test day....because some of them are kind of deceiving.

Try to do reallly well on that first test. It only counts 10%, but it's the easiest one you'll have. You should have a pretty good idea of what tests will be like after that. They'll have the same kind of questions, just a little harder and there'll be a lot more of them. IMO, they're also very similar to what you'll see on COMLEX too.

You always have great advice. Thanks so much. Scpod -- how are your rotations going so far?

.... how are your rotations going so far?

I love it. Throughout the next two years you will wake up some mornings and wonder if you did the right thing. You may even dread waking up at all some mornings. That "greeter" job at Walmart will even start looking good :eek:. But, trust me on this, you will know that it was all worth it when you finally begin rotations and are working with patients all the time. You'll still be doing tons of reading and learning an awful lot....but it's so much better.

You always have great advice. Thanks so much. Scpod -- how are your rotations going so far?

Punchap, totally agree with you! scpod, as always thank you. I may have some time before getting to medical school, but no matter where I go to school (Lecom-B is choice #1), you'll advice is great!

Thanks!

I love it. Throughout the next two years you will wake up some mornings and wonder if you did the right thing. You may even dread waking up at all some mornings. That "greeter" job at Walmart will even start looking good :eek:. But, trust me on this, you will know that it was all worth it when you finally begin rotations and are working with patients all the time. You'll still be doing tons of reading and learning an awful lot....but it's so much better.

I am going to print this out and hang it on my refridgerator!

*as she sighs and throws the walmart application away*

Well come say hi! BC (I guess it's ok to call him Stephen now, since he outed himself...but not THAT way...lol) tried to point you out across the lounge the other day, but there were waaay too many people...

Are you sure he didnt out himself THAT way?!?!?!:D

^^haha yeah I met you.. but I knew you before we started going here too :) .. I met you at our lecom E interview!!

yeah. I started doing powerpoints only last night.. and its WAY better!!

I forgot about that, I knew that you looked familiar! How are things going for you out here?

A number of folks have pm'd me for advice about histo. I'm pretty slammed by inpatient IM right now, so my SDN time is limited, but here's some info I pm'd to someone previously.

As far as histo goes, what worked for me was to go through each lecture and convert any points that seemed testable into a two column format. For example, I would make a table in Word and on one side I would write: "3 layers which make up all cardiovascular organs" - and on the other side: "Tunica adventitia, tunica media, tunica intima".

"Tissue which secretes elastic fibers in tunica media? : Smooth muscle"

"Prominent layer in arteries? : Tunica media"

"Type of collagen in reticular fibers? : Type III"

More examples here.

By doing this, I could distill an 80 slide power point into one or two pages of hi-yield, "one-liner" notes. By the time the test rolled around, I had "digested" all the lectures into a 20-30 page packet of bullet points that I would then run through as many times as I could, eventually highlighting those pieces I kept missing and focusing on them more. The real challenge with this system was finding the time to get through all the lectures and type up the notes. Each lecture took me a couple hours, so it was always a challenge to get through them all...

The histo book has lots of extra info and tables, etc that at least two years ago were very infrequently tested - maybe a random question or two per test - very low yield for the time investment. I was able to score an A in anatomy and do well on COMLEX/USMLE w/o reading a word of the histo text. Keep in mind that although histo is being emphasized now, in the big picture, most people agree it is the lowest yield subject for boards, and after this 10 weeks, it will basically just serve as a foundation for path.

The pictures in the histo book and from the labs will regularly appear on the test, however, and should be studied.

These 10 weeks of anatomy and histo will really test your ability to process and regurgitate a lot of material. Since repetition is important to memorize info, my advice is to try to condense the important stuff so that you can make as many passes through it as possible. Doing questions is also helpful for training yourself to recall the info.

This 10 weeks will also begin to train you to "triage" the information that's being thrown at you. There's just no way you will be able to read and remember everything over the next two years, but the good news is that you don't need to. With some practice you will learn how to read a large amount quickly for conceptual understanding, while simultaneously identifying the hi-yield details you do need to remember. Getting bogged down in low-yield material because you're not sure what's important is a very common mistake early in med school, as well as during board study. Again, practice questions are helpful in guiding your energy to hi-yield material.

Hope that helps a bit. As always, your results may vary. The first three weeks and the first test are pretty rough for everybody, but after that you will start to figure out what works and get in a groove.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can be of any help.

Last edited:
Frankly, no, I think the consensus is that if you do not really LOVE LECOM and the program set up, you shouldn't go. Based on reading your past posts, it is obvious that you are pretty negative about the whole LECOM thing. My advice to you is don't go. If you are so unhappy you won't do as well as you can, plus you will be a burden to you PBL classmates.

Med school is suppose to be an exciting experience, it is worth waiting a year to try to get into Nova or a school you like better. You will be happier and so will those around you

Frankly I think my PBL group loves me, and I'm not failing any classes.

WOW, Laura's comment must have really affected you for you to dig up this old thread and reply to an old comment she made. :laugh::laugh:

Edit: Don't you both go to the same school??? **cough**Man**cough**UP**cough** LOL

Let me stop before I get into trouble.:smuggrin:

Great! Glad to hear you are doing well...please introduce yourself to me sometime! Good luck with finals:D

You must be the easy one in the group.

Awesome. And so true...

Hahahahhaha, dude I'm sorry for ragging on you but I just needed to release some frustrations that have built up in the last... oh... 4 days since I've been laid.

[edited by mod staff]

Last edited by a moderator:
im kidding guys i didn't get in, i'm reapplying this year tho, got interviewed and waitlisted