LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow. lecom wont allow the use of their name in a facebook group?? that is some ridiculous rules right there.. i wonder what their reasoning is..

We're ok for the time being to use the name...just not the logo. I guess they just don't want to look like it's officially affiliated with them or something, in case something weird happens...

It keeps them safe legally. Sigh. I mean, YAY...US LEGAL SYSTEM ROCKS!

Anyways, they said it's cool, just no logos for now.

Members don't see this ad.

good, Im glad about that then.. :) btw, now that I know who you are, I confirmed you as a facebook friend.. yeah.. I dont confirm people unless I know who they are... despite the fact that I know you were from lecom!

good, Im glad about that then.. :) btw, now that I know who you are, I confirmed you as a facebook friend.. yeah.. I dont confirm people unless I know who they are... despite the fact that I know you were from lecom!

Thanks! I turn people down sometimes too...it's ok :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to let everyone know that, after much heartache, headache, and eyeache, I have figured out how to upload files onto the site for people to download! I will have to purchase the software (only have a 21-day trial), but it is really user-friendly for me to work with. I will be the only one able to upload files, and I will work on making it password protected for download use once I get down to Florida. Also, I will do my best to make it look a lot better, but there really isn't anything I have to work with. I will try to make it look nicer later on.

I will post up how to upload your personal files to the website at a later date (basically through email to me) and try to get all of the webpages up and running.

Be excited! I seriously started cheering and dancing when I got this to work (lame).

If you would like to test it out, please go to www.lecomnotes.vndv.com/home.html and click on the "Histology" link. The titles are broken (grrrr), but you SHOULD see a table with a file called "Chapter 1" under the file column. I can only upload in 97-2003 format, so if you have Microsoft Office you should be able to download it.

Woohoo!

Do I need to invest in a printer or is there on campus printing?

There are printers available to use on campus of course, but at a price. I believe you use your ID badge as a debit card of some sorts and it costs somewhere ~10 cents a sheet, but the current students should be able to be more specific.

When I was interviewing at the Erie campus a current student told me it costed ~12 cents a sheet (not sure of the exact charge), but that there was a local copy shop that charged 7 cents a sheet and most students went there if they needed to print stuff. Maybe there is a similar deal in the Bradenton area?

I started playing a few years ago, and I really don't feel like giving up golf for the sake of studying! We're also talking Florida...year-round golf.

I started playing a few years ago, and I really don't feel like giving up golf for the sake of studying! We're also talking Florida...year-round golf.

We live on a golfcourse, and my husband golfs so I'm hoping to get some time to learn. For myself and because I know that it will be a good networking tool for the future (I've had several docs tell me to take up golf when they hear that I'm going to med school).

If you watch out for good deals, you can find a decent laser printer for around $50. It will be much much cheaper than paying $0.1 per page.

On a different note - I am not sure if anyone heard about T-mobile's new VoIP service. You have to buy an adapter for $50 and then it's just $10/month for nationwide unlimited long distance phones. I am thinking about getting it since I will have roadrunner internet. And then there is MagicJack .. cheap but it needs a computer.

If you watch out for good deals, you can find a decent laser printer for around $50. It will be much much cheaper than paying $0.1 per page.

I picked up a cheap B/W laser printer when I started school and it was a great investment. It's very easy to refill the toner cartridge multiple times, so the cost per page ends up below $.01. :thumbup:

Everyone here have a good week. I'm heading down to Florida in 2 hours and will be spending time with my family until Thursday.

DO NOT FORGET: The Dark Knight on Saturday (1 week from tomorrow). I'll post times the Friday prior.

Bye all!

Anyone else think its pretty ridiculous they charge students to use the printer?

But on the subject of golf I used to golf but haven't touched a club in at least 3 years. I'm going to try to take it up again though, so as long as your not great I'm definately down for playing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else think its pretty ridiculous they charge students to use the printer?

But on the subject of golf I used to golf but haven't touched a club in at least 3 years. I'm going to try to take it up again though, so as long as your not great I'm definately down for playing.

It's ok. I suck at golf too. I've played about 10-20 times...I still suck, but at least I can hit it sometimes...I have good holes and bad ones. Shoot in the low 100's-ish...If we're not counting too carefully.

I'm going to look for a cheap laser printer...I've thought about that before, but...might be a good idea...

Does anyone like board games?? I know we wont have much time.. but I really really love board games, so I will bring some down if anyone would ever want to hang out and play! Currently I have Risk and Apples to Apples... I have more.. but Im not quite sure I can fit them all.. so I may have to purchase some there!

Does anyone like board games?? I know we wont have much time.. but I really really love board games, so I will bring some down if anyone would ever want to hang out and play! Currently I have Risk and Apples to Apples... I have more.. but Im not quite sure I can fit them all.. so I may have to purchase some there!

Big Trivial Pursuit fan myself. We should plan some board game nights once school starts.

Terrible...no worries!

Apples to Apples is a lot of fun! And Risk is fun for the first two hours, then two hours later and four less friends, victory is meaningless! But I still love it! Another game that is entertaining is Balderdash and i'll be sure to bring that one up.

Also, I've been purchasing some books lately and want to bump up this link that 2DEG created and posted a while back for those who missed it...very helpful in comparing prices for the entire book list. http://www.luminousweb.com/lecom_books.html

Big Trivial Pursuit fan myself. We should plan some board game nights once school starts.

I am so there. Trivial Pursuit is fun. I like Life and Monopoly too. Also can't go wrong with good old chess...

I have Cranium! You gotta love that game! :D

I have Cranium! You gotta love that game! :D

Holy crap! I can't believe I forgot Cranium. The #1 best game ever! They should make "Cranium: Medical Edition".

I know I'd wind up having to try to sculpt the brachial plexus or something...:D

You might find it a boring night out, but there's a place called Gecko's near school that has trivia nights. I like going on Saturday night, having a couple of beers and watching sports (lots of TVs too) while the trivia game is running. They even have team trivia competitions with prize money, etc. now and then. The food's pretty good too, but I usually just have the wings. There are several locations, but the one on SR 70 is was really convenient, just west of I-75.

http://www.geckosgrill.com/

Ummmmm....for the guys: It's a great place to watch college football on Saturdays...and the waitresses are pretty hot too :).

Inspired by the "I just got my scrubs for anatomy" thread.. what do WE wear for anatomy?? I suspect we are still dressing up as usual.. making me insanely jealous for some scrubs..

Inspired by the "I just got my scrubs for anatomy" thread.. what do WE wear for anatomy?? I suspect we are still dressing up as usual.. making me insanely jealous for some scrubs..

Regular dress + lab coat. If you are excited you can get a lab coat! There was contact info in the last email on where to get it.

You might find it a boring night out, but there's a place called Gecko's near school that has trivia nights. I like going on Saturday night, having a couple of beers and watching sports (lots of TVs too) while the trivia game is running. They even have team trivia competitions with prize money, etc. now and then. The food's pretty good too, but I usually just have the wings. There are several locations, but the one on SR 70 is was really convenient, just west of I-75.

http://www.geckosgrill.com/

Ummmmm....for the guys: It's a great place to watch college football on Saturdays...and the waitresses are pretty hot too :).

I always have a good time with bar trivia, so I'm down.

Gecko's is pretty fun. I've been there twice to play pool and eat. They have good club sandwiches and decent drink specials. ;)

But I'm back guys! How's everyone! I just got all four of my wisdom teeth pulled out last Thursday! Still got chipmunk chins but I'm feeling a lot better now. Still on a soup/slushy food diet though! My boyfriend and I are moving this Thur! Wish us luck! Internet's getting cut off this Tuesday, how am I gonna live? :confused: I will get Brighthouse next Tuesday once we're down there.
Can't wait to see everyone at Applebee's!

Gecko's is supposed to be fun. And everyone's gotta love trivia nights. Nothing like challenging the mind over a few beers.

So I'm leaving tomorrow to move to and my computer hasn't arrived yet. I'm getting kinda nervous that its not gonna show up today. Wish me luck everyone so I'm not stranded in Florida with no internet.

Ok, well the mail came today and lucky me no computer. Does anyone know if I can use the school library and/or any other places I can go to get the internet between now and whenever I get my computer (probably looking like not until the 25th or so since no one will be at my house to resend it back to my new address. Any ideas?

Hello fellow Internet Addict..

If it is coming by U.S postal service, did you change your address with them. In that case they would automatically forward your mails to your new location. Also, if it is coming via UPS or FedEx and if you have your tracking number..you might be able to call them and re-route it to your current address.

Local public library should have Internet access. And in the worst case situation you could go to Kinko's and use their computer. They charge per minute I think.

Hope you get your computer soon.

Ok, well the mail came today and lucky me no computer. Does anyone know if I can use the school library and/or any other places I can go to get the internet between now and whenever I get my computer (probably looking like not until the 25th or so since no one will be at my house to resend it back to my new address. Any ideas?

Hello fellow Internet Addict..

If it is coming by U.S postal service, did you change your address with them. In that case they would automatically forward your mails to your new location. Also, if it is coming via UPS or FedEx and if you have your tracking number..you might be able to call them and re-route it to your current address.

Local public library should have Internet access. And in the worst case situation you could go to Kinko's and use their computer. They charge per minute I think.

Hope you get your computer soon.

^^ Im just going to bump 2DEG's post.. because I moved last January and was still getting stuff from schools, stuff shipped, etc.. for all USPS things I went to their website and changed my address https://moversguide.usps.com/?referral=USPS and it cost me a dollar or two to do cause they needed a credit/debit to verify my identity.. I think you can do this at your local post office, as well.. otherwise for all other things UPS/FedEX/DHL... if you have the tracking number you can call and have your package rerouted.. it will take a few more days to get your item (especially if you are moving far) and they will do it at no cost to you (usually).. OR you can call the company if you don't have the tracking number, and have them alert the delivery service to reroute your package.. I have done each of these things and they have all worked for me.. :D

Also, is anyone living at CG there yet??? What color are the walls and floor?? I want to buy some stuff.. but I dont know what color the place is?? Because all the pictures online are different.. one has a white kitchen, another is orange! Is there a standard color? Or is it random?

Ok problem solved, well kinda. I called Sony to see what was up with my computer and they told me that it had not yet been shipped. First off this pissed me off because I ordered it over a week ago and the expected ship date was 7-7-08. Anyways, I thought that was a blessing in disguise, so I figured I could just change the ship address since it had no yet been shipped. They then informed me that they cannot change the shipping address once an order is placed. Ok, I said, I'll just call FedEX and have them re-route it. The lady at Sony then informed me that FedEX is under contract with Sony and will refuse all requests to change shipping address. So then I just said I would cancel my order and re-order it to the new shipping address. The lady informed me that orders (even ones that have not been process or shipped) were not allowed to be cancelled. After all this I started getting very pissed off, tried to stay calm and asked for a supervisor. I was put on hold for at least 10 min then the same lady came back on and said my order was cancelled. This was all quite a pain in my ass, but it turned out ok because as I was looking around on the internet while being on hold I stumbled across the exact same computer on Best Buy.com for $120 less.

Sorry for boring you all with that story I just wanted to vent and to warn anyone who is ordering from Sony to be prepared for some inconveniences.

^^yeah sony pissed me off to work with as well... I wanted my package dropped off at my house because I worked during the time they came.. but they wouldn't do it.. they also wouldn't hold it at the fed ex facility for me to personally pick it up.. luckily on the day the finally came I had worked nights the day before.. so I was home!!

anyway, Im glad you got it worked out!

pending ticket prices and such.. would anybody be up for going??

Zoofari (zoo in Tampa) --hopefully this includes looking at the animals too..

Saturday, November 8 from 7-11 p.m.

Known as one of the largest and "wildest" all-inclusive food festivals in the Tampa Bay Area, Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo invites food lovers to its 22nd annual Zoofari feeding frenzy. The event features great food sampling from dozens of restaurants, open bars, live music and the "Art Safari" wildlife art auction. Admission tickets are all-inclusive and the event is rain or shine. VIP/group packages are available in the exclusive "Rhino Club." Advance ticket sales will start in September online and October by phone. Check website for updates or call (813) 935-8552, ext. 235.

and this on any day
o
Giraffe-Feeding
Stand on the feeding plateau of Safari Africa and get eye-to-eye with the tallest animals in the world. You can also feed the giraffe special crackers, on sale at the feeding station.

oh my god!!!!

OK. I love animals.. and zoo's.. :-o

pending ticket prices and such.. would anybody be up for going??

Zoofari (zoo in Tampa) --hopefully this includes looking at the animals too..

Saturday, November 8 from 7-11 p.m.

Known as one of the largest and “wildest” all-inclusive food festivals in the Tampa Bay Area, Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo invites food lovers to its 22nd annual Zoofari feeding frenzy. The event features great food sampling from dozens of restaurants, open bars, live music and the “Art Safari” wildlife art auction. Admission tickets are all-inclusive and the event is rain or shine. VIP/group packages are available in the exclusive “Rhino Club.” Advance ticket sales will start in September online and October by phone. Check website for updates or call (813) 935-8552, ext. 235.

and this on any day
o
Giraffe-Feeding
Stand on the feeding plateau of Safari Africa and get eye-to-eye with the tallest animals in the world. You can also feed the giraffe special crackers, on sale at the feeding station.

oh my god!!!!

OK. I love animals.. and zoo's.. :-o

My wife and I recently went to the Tampa Zoo for the first time and it was REALLY nice. We spent pretty much the entire day there. There was alot to see! Just FYI

I finally moved into my apartment at the Yacht Club, very nice and very exciting. If anyone else is staying here and would like to organize a get-together or something I am all for it. Good luck to those who still have to move down it's all pretty awesome!

WHOA. I just want to verify something.. for Thanksgiving.. in email number 2 June says we need to be on campus through 5pm MONDAY afternoon (the 24th)... however in the academic calendar it states thanksgiving break as being Weds the 26th. can anyone tell me which is correct?? I am trying to start purchasing tickets!!

also... what time should I schedule my flights at out or either SRQ or TPA if I am in class until 5pm. I am not sure how traffic is around 5/5:30pm to get to these places.. would an 8:30 flight be OK our of TPA or SRQ? Earlier, later??

WHOA. I just want to verify something.. for Thanksgiving.. in email number 2 June says we need to be on campus through 5pm MONDAY afternoon (the 24th)... however in the academic calendar it states thanksgiving break as being Weds the 26th. can anyone tell me which is correct?? I am trying to start purchasing tickets!!

also... what time should I schedule my flights at out or either SRQ or TPA if I am in class until 5pm. I am not sure how traffic is around 5/5:30pm to get to these places.. would an 8:30 flight be OK our of TPA or SRQ? Earlier, later??

SRQ is tiny; you will be OK there for sure. Barring any traffic craziness, TPA should be fine, but there are definitely more traffic variables in the mix, esp if you're talking around a holiday. Normally TPA is just a bit over an hour from Bradenton for me.

^^Thanks.. how early of a flight would you say I can take out of SRQ if I left immediately after leaving school for the airport?

sorry. flight times suck.. the weekend i need to go the latest they have out of TPA is 8:47; and 7:04 for SRQ

oh well I booked it.. 8:40pm out of TPA.. I just better pray for good traffic.. *please God!!* everytime I kept looking the later and later flights started disappearing, assumably because people are buying them.. so I just did it.. and hope that if I miss my flight there ARE other later flights, that are booked at this time.. but may have an opening for me! Oh yeah, and its Labor Day weekend that I booked the flight.. not the others yet.. since Im awaiting a response from June about the actual Thanksgiving break date :D

OK. yes, I am spamming this thread today.

FINALLY! I'm moving to Bradenton TODAY!!! Moving into Colonial Grand @ Lakewood Ranch. :D

Last year classes were scheduled for Tuesday, but the two we had were cancelled by the professors later on for us. Will it happen again....who knows?

oh well I booked it.. 8:40pm out of TPA.. I just better pray for good traffic.. *please God!!* everytime I kept looking the later and later flights started disappearing, assumably because people are buying them.. so I just did it.. and hope that if I miss my flight there ARE other later flights, that are booked at this time.. but may have an opening for me! Oh yeah, and its Labor Day weekend that I booked the flight.. not the others yet.. since Im awaiting a response from June about the actual Thanksgiving break date :D

OK. yes, I am spamming this thread today.

If you are flying back to O'Hare, you should check out USA3000 next time. They fly out of St Pete's and to O'hare it's usually less than 200 r/t and there are always discount codes out there to get it cheaper.

^^Thanks, I actually originally did check out usa3000 and they had a good flight but as i kept looking flights kept disappearing (assumably from becoming sold out? and unfortunately this was one of them) so i really just ended up quickly booking with the latest one (well there was a 7minute later flight.. but each way had a stop.. and was a little cheaper.. but i just decided nonstop would be the way to go).. and it was 319$ total

actually im on their website now.. and they are only coming up with flights on August 17th! wth?? are they extremely limited?

well I just found the reason for this and its pretty bumming.. service to and from st. petes ends August 18th... now I remember the flight I had found was out of Ft. Meyers..

well I just found the reason for this and its pretty bumming.. service to and from st. petes ends August 18th... now I remember the flight I had found was out of Ft. Meyers..

Oh man, I knew that they were ending their service to Ohare from Sarasota, but I didn't know they were cancelling their service from St. Pete's. Things are just really down in the airline industry. Hopefully they'll add more flights back when the economy picks up.