LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has any information about the flexibility of the required "sportsbra/shorts" dress code for girls during OMT lab at LECOM-Bradenton. While I understand what is required of a physician, and the benefit of palpating with no barriers, I still feel uneasy about this as a practicing Muslim, and as a modest person in general. For those of you who attend the school, is there flexibility here? Is is appropriate to ask about this during the interview?

I will probably receive much criticism with this kind of question, but please be sensitive, as it is an issue of some concern for me. Thanks everyone!

this is definately something you should call and talk to the school about directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is definately something you should call and talk to the school about directly.

I agree but hopefully a student there might also be able to shed some light. I understand how you feel when it comes to modesty although I'm not muslim. Some of us have birthed two children and not escaped stretch marks. I would think they could make some kind of exception.

Nobody just stands around all day with a sports bra showing. Women wear them under their t-shirt or sweatshirt. Occassionally they take them off. You are requested to remove your t-shirts for some manuevers, but I've never seen someone "required" to remove them. A lot of people are self conscious about it at first, but after a while it's not really a big deal for most people. Note that you also come in OMM attire for some clinical exam labs.

thanks for your replies!

scpod, are there some people that choose not to remove their t-shirts? just curious... I dunno if this is an issue of concern to the point that I wouldn't attend school, but I would certainly prefer a school with some leniency in this area....

:oops:...thanks

Though not specifically in reference to LECOM-B, this issue has actually been discussed at some point on SDN. The gist of what I remember from the previous post is that after some soul searching and consultation with spiritual leaders, since the exposure was "in the line of duty" - necessary to learn skills which would be used for the benefit of future patients - it was deemed to be acceptable, at least based on their interpretation. (Obviously, you may feel completely differently)

I think contacting the school is a good idea, but upon acceptance, you will probably still have to sign a form which says you will dress appropriately to learn OMM. I'm sure all schools have some kind of similar form. That said, though, like scpod says, I can't really think of too many times when one had to remove their shirt.

We also have a Muslim Student Alliance here at school. You might see if someone in student services can hook you up with a member so you can ask them directly. If they can't, pm me and I'll try to find a member to contact you.

At Lecom-Erie we definitely have to remove our shirts. For example, a teacher will be telling us about a certain procedure, (and this just happened a few weeks ago), and once shes's done she said "Ok everyone, shirts off, start practicing!". Or they have come around and told people to remove their shirts. You can put it back on when you are palpating your partner, however. And I also did have to sign a form that said I would wear the required clothing.

And like everyone says, and like everyone said to me when I was questioning this, you really do get used to it. Its not a big deal, and everyone is professional...and I really do think it would have been hard/impossible to learn some of the techniques or identify landmarks with a shirt on.

I have an interview at LECOM in three weeks and I was wondering if there are any current students who can answer a couple of questions I have about the school. Thank you so much for your help! :)

I have an interview at LECOM in three weeks and I was wondering if there are any current students who can answer a couple of questions I have about the school. Thank you so much for your help! :)

I believe there are a few on this board. I just went to my Bradenton interview today, so if you have any questions about the interview or want an opinion from a fellow prospective student ask away!

I believe there are a few on this board. I just went to my Bradenton interview today, so if you have any questions about the interview or want an opinion from a fellow prospective student ask away!

Did you get to sit in on a PBL session?

Do you mind if I ask what your stats are? Oh and scpod is a great person to ask questions. You could always PM him and see if he could help you.

Did you get to sit in on a PBL session?

Yes we all sat in on a different session for the whole 2 hour session. Some others commented that it was long and there were long gaps where noone was talking and just looking through their notes. The group I observed was very excited the whole time and there were no such pauses. They all had a positive view of LECOM-B which I saw as refreshing. I also was afforded the luxury of taking 5 minutes at the end of the session to speak with the whole group and pick their brains about the process. I am a big fan of PBL I think it is a great way to learn. The deans preach to you that you have to have "faith" and "trust" in the system and that it isn't for everyone. Some of my other interviewees were also concerned that PBL can cause huge wholes in their knowledge but we all seemed to agree that PBL students would have a huge advantage come 3rd and 4th years. Overall I had a positive experience and I know I would do well in a PBL curriculum. Let's just hope for an acceptance now!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind if I ask what your stats are? Oh and scpod is a great person to ask questions. You could always PM him and see if he could help you.

I actually was in scpod's PBL group!

I also had my interview at Bradenton today.

My impression is that it's a really nice school. It's a bit smaller than what I was use to in my undergrad (bradenton is made up of a single 3-story building). The faculty and students were extremely nice and happy to answer any questions about PBL. We did get to sit through a PBL session, and while some of the other students may have had dif experiences, the PBL group I observed were very interesting and worked very well together. I was a bit skeptical at first of the PBL curriculum since it was so new to me, but the students did appear to really know their stuff and were having fun interacting as well.

The interview itself is very laid back (the questions are standardized in that everyone is asked the same list of questions, you can look on the interview feedback session to see the questions).

Overall, while the PBL thing isn't for everyone, I think it's a great opportunity for those who really think that it's something they can benefit from. LECOM, Eerie Campus showed that their PBL students on average performed better than their lecture discussion pathway students, which supports the fact that PBL is a very effective curriculum and does get results. Bradenton's first class took the COMLEX I last year I believe and had a 97 percent pass rate.

Thanks for sharing! That sounds like a lot of fun. It seems like it would be strange almost to meet these anonymous people on here and finally put a face with a name. I'm not complete anywhere yet so right now it's just a waiting game. Please, please let me get an interview there!!

I freaking love PBL. I will thrive if I end up at a school that does it.

...Some of my other interviewees were also concerned that PBL can cause huge wholes in their knowledge...

A lot of people think that way at first. It really turns out to be the opposite sometimes because the majority of medical students never read their books. They memorize the slides and listen over and over to their streamed lectures, so what they really learn is what their professor thinks is important. They learn what they are going to be tested on in medical school...and that's it. That leaves gaps in your learning too.

...but we all seemed to agree that PBL students would have a huge advantage come 3rd and 4th years...

It takes a little while to going in PBL, but once you learn the basics it's wonderful. During your first case you'll feel totally lost because you won't even understand most of the words you're reading. Pretty soon, though, you'll know what tests to order, how to intrepret them, and the physiological and biochemical reasons for them. Your facilitator will start asking you what you expect to see on the labs and you'll be right. Do you remember the case you saw today? The patient's mucosa was pale so we were thinking that she would be anemic. But when we got the CBC back we realized she was REALLY anemic. Plus, with RBCs at 1.35 and Hgb at 5.2 it explained why she was tachycardic. Her poor heart was pumping like crazy to get enough oxygen into her tissues. By the time you get to 3rd year you'll have seen so many CBCs, ABGs and Chem 7s that you'll run circles around the competition...at least at first. One of the scariest things about 3rd year is presenting patients to your attending, but with PBL you've been practicing that for two years. You didn't see that today since we started a brand new case, but we do it by memory now (at least my group does). It's surprisingy easy once you've done it a bunch of times.

But...it's not for everybody. You have to be motivated enough to study on your own because most of your learning doesn't take place during a PBL session-- that's where the ideas come together. The two hours I was in that PBL session today were the only two hours I was on campus today. I think it's great; it's just not for everybody. Good Luck. I enjoyed meeting you. :luck::luck::luck:

Thanks for the information about PBL! I'm interviewing at the PA campus in a few weeks, and I have been considering choosing that pathway if I get in there or at Bradenton :)

Yes we all sat in on a different session for the whole 2 hour session. Some others commented that it was long and there were long gaps where noone was talking and just looking through their notes. The group I observed was very excited the whole time and there were no such pauses. They all had a positive view of LECOM-B which I saw as refreshing. I also was afforded the luxury of taking 5 minutes at the end of the session to speak with the whole group and pick their brains about the process. I am a big fan of PBL I think it is a great way to learn. The deans preach to you that you have to have "faith" and "trust" in the system and that it isn't for everyone. Some of my other interviewees were also concerned that PBL can cause huge wholes in their knowledge but we all seemed to agree that PBL students would have a huge advantage come 3rd and 4th years. Overall I had a positive experience and I know I would do well in a PBL curriculum. Let's just hope for an acceptance now!!

I also had my interview at Bradenton today.

My impression is that it's a really nice school. It's a bit smaller than what I was use to in my undergrad (bradenton is made up of a single 3-story building). The faculty and students were extremely nice and happy to answer any questions about PBL. We did get to sit through a PBL session, and while some of the other students may have had dif experiences, the PBL group I observed were very interesting and worked very well together. I was a bit skeptical at first of the PBL curriculum since it was so new to me, but the students did appear to really know their stuff and were having fun interacting as well.

The interview itself is very laid back (the questions are standardized in that everyone is asked the same list of questions, you can look on the interview feedback session to see the questions).

Overall, while the PBL thing isn't for everyone, I think it's a great opportunity for those who really think that it's something they can benefit from. LECOM, Eerie Campus showed that their PBL students on average performed better than their lecture discussion pathway students, which supports the fact that PBL is a very effective curriculum and does get results. Bradenton's first class took the COMLEX I last year I believe and had a 97 percent pass rate.

Gary and I had the same interviewers (very nice/laid back people). It was nice meeting all of you today! -- including you scpod. Good luck!

Thanks for the offer! Did they grill you about why you like PBL? For me the question is like asking why I want to be a doctor. I know why and there are a million reasons behind it but trying to convey it doesn't seem so elegant. :/

Thanks for the offer! Did they grill you about why you like PBL? For me the question is like asking why I want to be a doctor. I know why and there are a million reasons behind it but trying to convey it doesn't seem so elegant. :/

No they never asked me why PBL, they were more interested in "selling" us on PBL.

Interviewing here later this month. I am already sold on the PBL from an interview I had at another school (drexel) two years ago.

Good luck on your interview! I'm just a first year but if you have any questions about first year "issues" feel free to ask.

I think it's nice that they're having you sit in on a PBL session. That's new for this year as a lot of us made comments to the admin that it would have been nice to actually see it in action. By the time we got to the interview we had pretty much already researched/read a lot about the PBL "style". Also keep in mind each PBL group and facilitator is going to be different. Some groups might be more quiet, some facilitators made be more involved than others, etc... But they do constantly switch up which group you are in and which facilitator you have so you'll get experience interacting with different students and professors.

The first 10 weeks all you're going to care about is anatomy. We have PBL one day a week right now and at this point it's mainly about learning the mechanics of how to go through a case and identify "learning issues" as well as becoming familiar with some of the general tests you'll be doing and learning lots of terminology. I think during our first case we were looking up like every 3rd word, but you'll quickly start building that medical vocabulary and then apply it to the next case.

I believe they said that we would have till Dec 15 and it was something like 1500.. But I could be mistaken.. It was on Monday lol.. someone correct me if I'm wrong

What kind of housing is available for Bradenton students? How much does it cost? What's the tuition?

What kind of housing is available for Bradenton students? How much does it cost? What's the tuition?

They provided some housing information during the interview day at LECOM-B. A couple housing options they pointed out were the apartments: The Yacht Club at Heritage Harbour and Carlton Arms http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1009624.php

These were the apartments that were popular with students. Obviously, there are other choices.

The tuition costs approx. $26,000....

They provided some housing information during the interview day at LECOM-B. A couple housing options they pointed out were the apartments: The Yacht Club at Heritage Harbour and Carlton Arms http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1009624.php

These were the apartments that were popular with students. Obviously, there are other choices.

The tuition costs approx. $26,000....

Those are amazingly awesome apartments. And it would be cheaper and more fun for me to live there than to live at home in my home state and pay the tuition there.

Then by all means, pack your bags and move 'em out! :)

Er, that's jumping the gun a bit. I don't apply to med school until next June and I need a job first so i can afford anything. :( I never expected that to be so difficult. :eek:

Er, that's jumping the gun a bit. I don't apply to med school until next June and I need a job first so i can afford anything. :( I never expected that to be so difficult. :eek:

Finding a job is difficult? I hear that...I've been searching for a month+. No :luck:

Finding a job is difficult? I hear that...I've been searching for a month+. No :luck:

Ouch, yea it's been almost two months for me. I'm not sure what to do, take a job in Starbucks? I need some money soon.

Ouch, yea it's been almost two months for me. I'm not sure what to do, take a job in Starbucks? I need some money soon.

OMG! I had the same epiphany the other day regarding Starbucks/and or a Barnes and Noble. I don't mean to sound like a complete snob, but shouldn't a degree be worth something? I've held my share of menial jobs and all I want now is an entry-level something or another. Yeah, application/interview costs sure do add up. Good luck to you in your job search! :luck:

OMG! I had the same epiphany the other day regarding Starbucks/and or a Barnes and Noble. I don't mean to sound like a complete snob, but shouldn't a degree be worth something? I've held my share of menial jobs and all I want now is an entry-level something or another. Yeah, application/interview costs sure do add up. Good luck to you in your job search! :luck:

I totally agree; but now I'm getting desperate so i may have to take a job I'd normally take over the summer. The thing is, for the first time I need a job that offers medical and dental benefits.

Did anyone who interviewed get a list of the clinical sites for 3rd/4th? or is that somewhere on their website?

Yes...they give you a list. It's really, really long though so I'm not gonna type it up.

Lots of hospitals in the general vicinity of the school. many in PA, OH as well.

Yes...they give you a list...many in PA, OH as well.

Keep in mind that the "northern" sites like PA, OH, and MI are shared with the Erie school. You get first choice of all the FL and southeastern spots, but Erie chooses the "northern" spots first. So....if you really want to go up north for rotations then you may not get your first choice.

So I've heard. I think given the choice, I'd stay in Florida...but who knows...

Keep in mind that the "northern" sites like PA, OH, and MI are shared with the Erie school. You get first choice of all the FL and southeastern spots, but Erie chooses the "northern" spots first. So....if you really want to go up north for rotations then you may not get your first choice.

SCPOD: You are a third year- right? can you comment on your clinical experiences so far.

Me too. For what it's worth, I heard from a friend that Starbucks offers great benefits. :thumbup:

Are you being serious? Do they pay medical and dental benefits?

Also how bad does it look to work in a non-medical facility? I have an average amount of volunteer work and shadowing.

I worked in construction during audio/video type stuff during my last year while I was finishing up college and applying to med school before I got in. I did some brief work in an assisted living center, but the schedule and pay just didn't cut it. The construction stuff paid a lot more since I had previously had experience there. Don't worry about it, they understand that you have to support yourself somehow, and especially in the medical field, it's hard to work without having some sort of official certificate or license.....unless you are just doing basic duties at minimum wage. So just continue to get some good clinical experience by volunteering and shadowing.

Does anyone have Bradenton's address? I can't seem to find it anywhere. My last LOR is finally in to Interfolio and I'm trying to have them all sent now.

Okay, here's what I thought about the school and my interview...

The day was pretty efficient. Not a lot of sitting around. Started out with a little intro, and talking about the school. Then we pretty much went right into the interviews. Two profs interviewed me, and it was a pretty nice discussion. I don't know how much they liked my answers, but I just tried to be honest.

The PBL session was kickass. I would punch my mom in the face if she stood between me and a PBL curriculum. Then again, we sat in on 2nd-year students who already knew what they were talking about. But they all seemed extremely smart and well-prepared. I'm sure it starts off a little rough, but once it gets rolling, I think you can learn a ton.

After that was over, we took a little tour of the building. It was nice. Looks brand new. Nothing eye-popping, but the facility is more than adequate, and very well-maintained. Everyone who complains that "its only one building" knows absolutely nothing about medical schools. The building is way bigger than what Drexel has at the Queen Lane campus (and I believe that facility is also more than adequate). How many buildings do you really need for a medical school? You have students there for two years, about 150 in each class, and everyone in each class is taking the exact same things. So its not like you need a million classrooms, labs, etc..

I thought the dress code would bother me, but it really didn't at all. Everyone looked nice and professional. I'm a pretty casual dresser, but I can live with that.

The students who came down to eat with us, Marta and Megan were great. Very informative. Marta is a great talker, and very much a no-BS-type. I felt like I was getting the straight scoop from her.

After lunch, we wrapped up with a couple of the profs coming in to talk a little more about PBL with us. I didn't really feel like they were trying to sell me on it. They flat out said that it might not be for everyone, but that if you can get into it and motivate yourself, then you can really benefit from it.

There isn't much to Bradenton. Don't care. In fact, it might even be better that way. At this point in my life, I don't think I'll be distracted too much, regardless of where I end up. Bike lanes on all the main roads is a huge plus.

Absolutely the only concern I have... rotations. I am really thinking hard about trauma surgery, and I want to go to a school where I can be reasonably sure that I can do my ER and surgery rotations at a busy trauma center. I will research this more later, and if any current students could shed some light on that here, that would be great.

Overall, I really like what they are doing there. I would go to school there in a second. I'm going to take my other interviews and make an informed decision, but I think that these guys are definitely the early frontrunners. I am more impressed with them than either of the two allopathic schools that I have interviewed at.

I am on hold at DMU and KCUMB, and I will be visiting both schools in a few weeks. I am interviewing at KCOM and PCOM-GA too.

We'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

Okay, here's what I thought about the school and my interview...

The day was pretty efficient. Not a lot of sitting around. Started out with a little intro, and talking about the school. Then we pretty much went right into the interviews. Two profs interviewed me, and it was a pretty nice discussion. I don't know how much they liked my answers, but I just tried to be honest.

The PBL session was kickass. I would punch my mom in the face if she stood between me and a PBL curriculum. Then again, we sat in on 2nd-year students who already knew what they were talking about. But they all seemed extremely smart and well-prepared. I'm sure it starts off a little rough, but once it gets rolling, I think you can learn a ton.

LOL....I think at this point I'm just reading your posts on here for comic relief during the day.

It does start off a little rough but it does get better fairly quickly, especially once anatomy ends. I'd actually like to sit in on a 2nd year session.....hmmmm......will have to ask.
After that was over, we took a little tour of the building. It was nice. Looks brand new. Nothing eye-popping, but the facility is more than adequate, and very well-maintained. Everyone who complains that "its only one building" knows absolutely nothing about medical schools. The building is way bigger than what Drexel has at the Queen Lane campus (and I believe that facility is also more than adequate). How many buildings do you really need for a medical school? You have students there for two years, about 150 in each class, and everyone in each class is taking the exact same things. So its not like you need a million classrooms, labs, etc..

I came from a large state university so I did have some withdrawals from a big campus "feel"..... but being able to park next to the building EVERY DAY and not drive around for like 30 minutes and then walk 15 minutes is worth it to me. And just like you said, what really is needed for a medical school? After two years you're out in rotations anyway. Did they show you any of the labs being worked on? Don't think they're up and running yet but we've got a few faculty that are getting some research projects going, I think they're still getting the labs finished up though.

I thought the dress code would bother me, but it really didn't at all. Everyone looked nice and professional. I'm a pretty casual dresser, but I can live with that.

Everyone seemed to get used to it pretty quickly. I don't mind, it makes getting dressed easier as I go and pick out whatever clean dress shirt and matching tie I have for that day.

The students who came down to eat with us, Marta and Megan were great. Very informative. Marta is a great talker, and very much a no-BS-type. I felt like I was getting the straight scoop from her.

After lunch, we wrapped up with a couple of the profs coming in to talk a little more about PBL with us. I didn't really feel like they were trying to sell me on it. They flat out said that it might not be for everyone, but that if you can get into it and motivate yourself, then you can really benefit from it.

There isn't much to Bradenton. Don't care. In fact, it might even be better that way. At this point in my life, I don't think I'll be distracted too much, regardless of where I end up. Bike lanes on all the main roads is a huge plus.

Yea, if you're coming from a large city then Bradenton could be a shock. But, I haven't really had time for much else so far, and there's nothing really that I have missed that I can't live without. The nice thing is that the area on this side of the interstate is all fairly new so there are some nice restaurants and the small town "town-center" types of areas down in the Lakewood Ranch and Sarasota areas.

Absolutely the only concern I have... rotations. I am really thinking hard about trauma surgery, and I want to go to a school where I can be reasonably sure that I can do my ER and surgery rotations at a busy trauma center. I will research this more later, and if any current students could shed some light on that here, that would be great.

I think that's probably one of biggest questions that they'll get in the next couple years just being the new kid on the block. The good thing is that we're only 45 minutes or so outside of Tampa/St. Pete area where there are lots of large/busy hospitals...... Tampa General (Level1), St. Joseph's(Level2 and Peds), Bayfront/All Children's (Level2 and peds), Northside.

Hopefully one of the 2nd years can elaborate more on where the core rotations will be at as they're starting to prepare for that, but you'll be able to do your electives anywhere and as of right now I'm interested in EM and will probably try and do at least an elective at Tampa General since they have a relatively new EM program (allopathic). Suncoast and Northside hospitals both have some DO residencies, and even heard rumors of the local Manatee Memorial hospital down the street looking at starting some residencies in the next few years. I've talked with some of the admin/faculty and I know they're continuing to work on building the relationships with these area hospitals and it's only going to get better. And really, unless you're shooting for more academic positions, I'm looking forward to doing some of these rotations at some of the area's smaller non-academic/teaching hospitals where you may get some more one-on-one time with the attending and not wait in line behind several residents and interns.

Overall, I really like what they are doing there. I would go to school there in a second. I'm going to take my other interviews and make an informed decision, but I think that these guys are definitely the early frontrunners. I am more impressed with them than either of the two allopathic schools that I have interviewed at.

I am on hold at DMU and KCUMB, and I will be visiting both schools in a few weeks. I am interviewing at KCOM and PCOM-GA too.

We'll just have to see how it all shakes out.

Anyway, good luck! Let us know what you hear.

I would punch my mom in the face if she stood between me and a PBL curriculum.

You really should see somebody...:laugh:

Seriously though, I'm considering sending an application to Bradenton for this cycle. If things don't workout at TCOM this year, I will definitely make Bradenton one of my first choice schools for next year. At this point, I'm not even sure if it's too late to apply for this cycle.

The tuition and PBL still makes me nervous but any OOS school will be the same. Honestly, living in south FL for a few years sounds great.

They are one of the cheaper ones out there. Also, if you saw one of their PBL sessions in action, you might change your mind on it. Watching the 2nd-year students get after it is pretty inspiring.