LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well....what happened is that my AACOMAS app finally processed and LECOM was the first to send me a secondary. I must have missed their statement about the required letter from a DO.....so I e-mailed each campus to tell them this and ask that my app be withdrawn. LECOM-Erie withdrew it and Annette from LECOM-B e-mailed me to say that they could help me out with that aspect of the app....so I said I was still interested in pursuing the app and she said I'll be scheduled to meet with one of their DOs when I go in for my interview on Jan 28.

I see.. I will probably begin shadowing someone within 2 weeks.. I just hope I can wow them within a day (HAH) and have them write me a letter before the deadlines... but getting in touch with the schools sounds like a good idea maybe they would be understanding if I said i was in the process of shadowing and wanted the person to get to know me a little better.. who knows. stress like whoa. thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

I missed a call today and didn't listen to the voicemail until the evening (after 6 pm). It was LECOM-B calling to say that the admissions committee had reviewed my application and that they would like to speak to me about my new status. I *was* on the alternate list and was under the impression that they would not be looking at the alternates till mid-January. So what does this mean? They don't pull people off the alternate list to reject them, do they? It must mean I'm in, right? :idea:

Anyway, I'll know tomorrow after I call them. :rolleyes:

Hopefully. I do not know. They might be calling to tell you your place on the alternate list. For your sake, I hope that you're right. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
"Your file will be re-reviewed in late January".....Total bummer. Is there anything good to come out of this?

I missed a call today and didn't listen to the voicemail until the evening (after 6 pm). It was LECOM-B calling to say that the admissions committee had reviewed my application and that they would like to speak to me about my new status. I *was* on the alternate list and was under the impression that they would not be looking at the alternates till mid-January. So what does this mean? They don't pull people off the alternate list to reject them, do they? It must mean I'm in, right? :idea:

They tell all applicants placed on the alternate list they review it around the middle of January and encourage you to keep them updated with new grades, extracurriculars and anything else to strengthen your application throughout the year. They are also offering interviews throughout the year and constantly review everyone's application on the alternate list all the way up until the new class starts up in July.

To say they want to speak to you about your new status probably means one of two things, they won't remove you from the alternate list, the people they don't accept just remain on that list indefinitely. There appears to be 2 types of alternate lists, though I'm not completely sure how it works. On one list you are just "on the alternate list" with no additional information. The other list is ranked, and they tell you, for example, you are 17th in line to join the upcoming class and as more people withdraw their name from the acceptance pool you progress up the list. One girl in my class was ranked in the 30s in January and eventually was placed in the class of 2012 by July.

The fact that they want to speak with you about your status can only mean something good. I expect they will let you know how you rank on the alternate list or better yet offer you an acceptance. I was notified via phone and e-mail of my invitation for an interview and shortly after that they told me by phone I was accepted.

I'm not 100% confident it works this way but that is what I have gathered after going through the process myself. I know for a fact every persons application is under constant review as this was the case at other schools I was placed on an alternate list for. My advice would be to call Heather at the admissions office and see exactly what is being done. If you still are on the alternate list I encourage you to send any new information to LECOM-B as you receive it and don't be afraid to remind them the school is your number one choice assuming it is. Good luck!

"Your file will be re-reviewed in late January".....Total bummer. Is there anything good to come out of this?

My previous post applies somewhat to you as well. Keep in mind the admissions staff is responsible for many other things going on at the school besides admitting people into the class of 2013. They also help organize the graduation ceremonies each year, the white coat ceremony for first years, and many other events.

That said they will probably wait to review your application at the end of January as they indicated. There is something good to come out of this because as I mentioned in my previous post, many accepted students withdraw their applications all they way up to July as they get into other schools or end up somewhere else better suited for them. I wouldn't be too pushy with them but if you do any additional volunteer work, have any more letters of recommendation, or have another semester of solid grades don't be afraid to send the school that additional information. It can only help.

They will definitely keep you updated as time goes on but the best thing to do at this point would be to keep them updated and wait until a couple weeks into February to ask them for an update if you haven't heard anything at that point. Again, Heather is an amazing admissions counselor and can address any concerns you may have. Hopefully with a little patience and luck you'll get some good news, until then don't give up hope just yet.

PBLDO- Thanks for the info, I was getting a bit worried since LECOM-B would be a awesome school to attend. I did pretty well last quarter so I'll send in my new grades. Thanks again.

so I said I was still interested in pursuing the app and she said I'll be scheduled to meet with one of their DOs when I go in for my interview on Jan 28.

I got an interview invite soon after my secondary was in, and before my DO letter was submitted. They offered this option for anyone whose DO rec wasn't in yet--there were a few of us that day. I was impressed that they were so accommodating, and if I'd known my recommender would take another 10 days, I'd have taken them up on it. I'd have known the outcome the day after my interview.

Here are my major application points and my cirumstances. I was a Micro-Molecular Biology at UCF. I had a 3.37 cum GPA, science of 3.2 but my upper division electives was 3.6 (no idea why I got better grades in my harder sciences classes). I got a 27Q V10 P8 B9. I only have decent numbers so I am counting on my ECs to get me in.

I was on the Men's Varisty Crew team at UCF for 3 1/2 years 28+/week. I was an anatomy TA for 1.5 years at 20+/week. I shadowed a neurosurgeon for a semester internship 4hrs/week. I got in with a neurologist partner of his for 1 month. Both were MDs. I have been shadowing a D.O. at Suncoast Medical now since 2006 on holidays and weekends. Now that I graduated (Aug) I pull a shift of 12 hours with him every week. I volunteered at the ICU at Orlando Regional during a summer.

Now heres the problem. I just recieved a rejection form Midwestern CCOM and was put on hold at DMU (they wont look at it till april and then only if there are some spots left). Fortunately those are not my main choices..LECOM and NSU are.I am really worried that there is something majorly wrong with my application for 2 schools to rejected me so soon. I thought I had a very strong app.

I would appreciate any feedback if anyone notices any weaknesses. What else can I do right now to strengthen my app? Also, in my supp app for LECOM I didnt mention why I got to be an Anatomy TA. I studied my ass off and was lucky enough to be the only person to get a 100 on the first lab test. The head TA at the time pointed me out in class as "the one" Every time I walked into the library I had kids asking for help. As the semester went on my study group got bigger and bigger until I was holding my own reviews at the library with 30+ kids. As I was one of the top ten in the class they offered me a TA position. This is all in my primary but I didn't mention it specifically in my supp app and is the major reason LECOM is my 1st choice. Should I go back and make a major mention of this in a supp update. I really loved the group studying and being able to teach and I think PBL would make a great fit for me.

Last edited:
Here are my major application points and my cirumstances. I was a Micro-Molecular Biology at UCF. I had a 3.37 cum GPA, science of 3.2 but my upper division electives was 3.6 (no idea why I got better grades in my harder sciences classes). I got a 25Q V9 P8 B8. I only have decent numbers so I am counting on my ECs to get me in.

Your app sounds pretty good to me...far better than mine in some respects.

If you have a weakness there, I would say it's your low-ish MCAT score. A 25 used to be a decent DO school score, but times have changed. Especially, I believe, at LECOM-B.

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's alot of talk about LECOM-B, and everyone and their mother wants to go here now because it's so awesome...

Our entering class stats get better every year, and although I don't know the data for sure, I can tell you that I have many friends with scores in the 30's and only a couple <27.

When did you apply? That can make some difference in how soon you hear back.

For comparison's sake, here's me:

Cumulative GPA ~3.4, Science GPA 3.8, MCAT 28R (8,10,10). Organic Chemistry TA. ER Scribe paid 20 hrs/wk for 1 year prior to applying. Non-trad, 29yo, 1 kid, married. Musician in past life. Little volunteering to speak of, but my band organized benefit concerts to raise money for various charities. I used to manage a music store, before I realized how much that sucked, and decided to go to med school instead.

As you can see, my science GPA is higher than yours, but overall is about the same.

At this point, I would say that you should contact the admissions office and just check the status of your application. Make sure you're complete...remind them you exist...maybe they'll take a look at you.

NOTE: Keep in mind that we start school on Monday and have a White Coat Ceremony coming up in a couple weeks. The office people may be a little busy, so there might be slightly decreased activity in January.

BCL, PBLDO, and I all got at least a 3.0 last semester, so hopefully we'll get picked at ambassadors to answer your questions and what-not at interviews.

Any idea why Lecom-B does their white coat ceremony in Jan? I could be mistaken, but I thought most schools did them in the beginning of the year.

Any idea why Lecom-B does their white coat ceremony in Jan? I could be mistaken, but I thought most schools did them in the beginning of the year.

No clue.

One theory is that they wait to see if anyone fails out after the first semester...

Most schools do have it in the fall, but it varies...

I'm in !!!!! :D:D:D

I will see you all next Fall!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats alot! I know you really wanted this one. Go join your friendly neighborhood facebook group and let us know if you have any questions.

Here are my major application points and my cirumstances. I was a Micro-Molecular Biology at UCF. I had a 3.37 cum GPA, science of 3.2 but my upper division electives was 3.6 (no idea why I got better grades in my harder sciences classes). I got a 25Q V9 P8 B8. I only have decent numbers so I am counting on my ECs to get me in.

I was on the Men's Varisty Crew team at UCF for 3 1/2 years 28+/week. I was an anatomy TA for 1.5 years at 20+/week. I shadowed a neurosurgeon for a semester internship 4hrs/week. I got in with a neurologist partner of his for 1 month. Both were MDs. I have been shadowing a D.O. at Suncoast Medical now since 2006 on holidays and weekends. Now that I graduated (Aug) I pull a shift of 12 hours with him every week. I volunteered at the ICU at Orlando Regional during a summer.

Now heres the problem. I just recieved a rejection form Midwestern CCOM and was put on hold at DMU (they wont look at it till april and then only if there are some spots left). Fortunately those are not my main choices..LECOM and NSU are.I am really worried that there is something majorly wrong with my application for 2 schools to rejected me so soon. I thought I had a very strong app.

I would appreciate any feedback if anyone notices any weaknesses. What else can I do right now to strengthen my app? Also, in my supp app for LECOM I didnt mention why I got to be an Anatomy TA. I studied my ass off and was lucky enough to be the only person to get a 100 on the first lab test. The head TA at the time pointed me out in class as "the one" Every time I walked into the library I had kids asking for help. As the semester went on my study group got bigger and bigger until I was holding my own reviews at the library with 30+ kids. As I was one of the top ten in the class they offered me a TA position. This is all in my primary but I didn't mention it specifically in my supp app and is the major reason LECOM is my 1st choice. Should I go back and make a major mention of this in a supp update. I really loved the group studying and being able to teach and I think PBL would make a great fit for me.

As Digit indicated your MCAT score could be stronger, but usually everyone's can. He did bring up an important point about when you actually applied, with a rolling admissions process at nearly every medical school in the nation I always advise students to submit applications as soon as possible even if incomplete. The earlier you get your information in the sooner the school can consider you for interview and admission, it really makes a difference.

Well, you can't do much about either of those things for this year, right? I'm assuming you haven't received an invitation for interview yet. The whole anatomy TA position and "introduction" to PBL if you will is something of pinnacle importance to mention to LECOM-B. I wouldn't necessarily worry about mentioning it in any supplemental applications assuming you have already turned those in. If all of your information is sent in to LECOM-B and you are just waiting for a chance at an interview, I would mention that during the interview. One specific question I got during my interview was if I had any previous exposure to a PBL-style learning environment and why I would excell in this specific type of curriculum. If and when you get that question you will be prepared and I think adcoms like to see you expound upon information stated in your application during the actual interview. That would be the perfect opportunity. Of course, if you still have to send in any supplemental information for your application to be considered complete, do so immediately.

3.37CGPA and 3.2 BSGPA. That's decent, but something to work on. Unfortunately what Digit said in his previous post also applies to GPAs as well, the competition at all D.O. schools and LECOM-B in particular is rising incredibly. The same stats in 2007 that got student A in will not be good enough for student B in 2009. It's not going to be something that makes or breaks you, but if you don't get into the class of 2013 I would consider re-taking some classes or a one-year science graduate program. A lot of the students in my class came out of biochemistry or histology etc. masters programs.

Now that the whole GPA/MCAT thing has been addressed, and believe me anything you can do to up those numbers is always a HUGE help in terms of strengthening your application, lets talk about the ECs. You have extensive shadowing of a few different physicans and that's great. It is particularly nice that you are working with the D.O. for 12 hours a week now. Another gaurenteed question during your interview even if it was addressed in your essays is why osteopathic medicine? Check out my blog entries about LECOM-B and osteopathic medicine in general there is a lot of great information there for the interview. Besides that check out the interview section of SDN for LECOM-B and any other school you get to interview at, extremely helpful.

Is there anything the schools that rejected you mentioned as to why they came up with that decision? I know I interviewed at one school I was waitlisted at and they said my application lacked community service. I had the grades, LORs, my ECs were good but not enough volunteer work. I see you don't have much of that, could be something easy to look into to strengthen the application.

If you are being rejected without the chance to interview it usually means your academic numbers aren't quite up to the school's expectations. The number one way to fix that is to retake and do better on the MCAT and retake some classes or look into a graduate studies program as mentioned above. The bad news is it may require sitting a year out. Once you get the interview the grades don't really matter that much. You are more or less on an even playing field in that respect to your fellow interviewees. At that point you have a lot going for you with the TA thing, D.O. shadowing, and everything else. Look into doing some volunteer work if it is merited and seriously consider doing something to raise your academic numbers. Probably not exactly the news you wanted to hear but after going through the process myself and listening to others experiences in your position this is my opinion but I think many will agree.

Lastly, as Digit said, keep in mind we are just beginning the new semester. The white coat ceremony is probably the priority for the admissions staff at the moment. They are probably being flooded with e-mails from students waiting for interviews, wanting to know about their waitlisted status, etc. etc. They are even answering questions from accepted students about financial aid, immunizations and God knows what else. The point is, right now is a very busy time for the school. The class is not filled up just yet and we see prospective students interviewing every other day for several more months now into the new semester so don't give up hope. Good luck and let us know if you need any additional advice or support.

Congrats!!!!!! Being that we have the same avatar and love the same school I had to wish you congrats:D:D

you start clinical exam courses and going out into the community and see patients. "doctor on day 1 program". my friend at a MD school didn't even see a patient or get his coat until the end of his 2nd yr but I think this old school trend is changing

you start clinical exam courses and going out into the community and see patients. "doctor on day 1 program". my friend at a MD school didn't even see a patient or get his coat until the end of his 2nd yr but I think this old school trend is changing

With the intensity of anatomy and general grind of medical school starting day one I wouldn't even want the white coat ceremony until the start of semester two. Besides that, I feel like I earned it more just by coming back, heh. Different schools do it different ways. If I could take any wild guess as to why LECOM-B waits to do it in January two reasons come to mind. First off not everyone makes it after the first semester of medical school. My class for example unfortunately lost 14 students. Besides that a second reason comes to mind as I type this post in my Ohio home. It's like 72 degrees and sunny down there and a mere 27 degrees and snowy here. With such a diversity of states representative of a typical class, with many students coming from the midwest in particular, it's a great opportunity for friends and family to celebrate an honorable event and enjoy some nice weather for a weekend in the middle of winter. Just a guess though.

As for the clinical exam courses and exposure to patients, that is immediate at LECOM-B. It seems like some of us barely knew what words like BP, HR, and popliteal meant before we were checking vitals on standardized patients. At the end of the first semester we took the OSCE (Objective Strutuctured Clinical Examination) covering the history, physical, vitals, and a skin & lymph exam. This was an assessment of what we had been practicing on standardized patients throughout the semester. None of the first years were required to go out into the community per se, but I know of several volunteer opportunities to get that exposure if you are so ambitious. And for the record, we wore our "long" white coats as we haven't received the others yet, obviously.

Last edited:
Heather just sent the email inviting me to interview! I'm so excited I think I just did a lap around the inside of my house. Talk about a couple reversal of my outlook. Looking forward to seeing LECOM next friday.

P.S. Any advice and tips for the LECOM interview much appreciated.

Just thought of something. I have long curly hair and a neat trimmed beard + mustache. Should I cut everything off and go super clean? I do not want to take any chances becuase this is my first interview. Any ideas?

Just thought of something. I have long curly hair and a neat trimmed beard + mustache. Should I cut everything off and go super clean? I do not want to take any chances becuase this is my first interview. Any ideas?

Not sure if you read my previous post but I'll reiterate some things. First off, congratulations. The number one thing you can do to help prepare yourself for the interview is read plenty of reviews of how other people went through LECOM-Bs interview process here. You can find actual interview questions and overall experiences from people who already did exactly what you will on Friday, highly recommended.

Besides that realize now that you have the interview you are more or less on an even playing field academically. Be prepared to answer questions about your science courses and MCAT if they come up, and focus on the upward trend you had in the upper level sciences. During the interview you should incorperate the anatomy TA story in terms of how it is like PBL and why you would excel in a PBL curriculum. Be sure to figure out as much about PBL at LECOM-B before you interview as well because they will ask you how you feel about not getting any lectures for the bulk of your education.

Review your personal statement and essays and try and anticipate questions, most of them are in the interview feedback section of SDN anyway. Most importantly however is to relax and have fun. The school is great, the faculty are extremely easy to get along with and they want to see you do well. It is a very low pressure environment. Just be honest and you'll do fine. It is important to dress well (suit) and be well groomed. If you are, don't worry about cutting your hair or anything you don't want to do it's unnecssary unless you really think you look unclean or something.

Other things to be prepared for on Friday is the opportunity to sit through an actually PBL session, which is awesome. Also you may be asked to read around a 2 page paper on something random and be asked to summarize what you learned at the end of your interview. Mine was on the difference between HDL and LDL cholesterol. Nothing hard or very serious, just read it over get the jist and tell them what you learned. You may find you have to do this at many medical schools you interview at and its just for them to see you can pick up the material and get an idea of what its saying. Also realize we have a dress code to follow, shirt and tie everyday except Thursdays you wear OMM attire. Some of the more important things IMO are to let them know truthfully why you want to be an *osteopathic* physician and why you think PBL is the best way to achieve that goal. Good luck and don't stress they make it very relaxing and fun, remember you got the interview because they think you have what it takes!

Oh and one more thing. During my interview the 2 faculty members chose not to review my file. They did not know any of my grades, EC activities, didn't read any of my essays, just went into it blind. They may or may not do the same for you. It doesn't make a huge difference for you either way just be yourself and it'll hopefully all work out for you.

None of the first years were required to go out into the community per se, but I know of several volunteer opportunities to get that exposure if you are so ambitious. And for the record, we wore our "long" white coats as we haven't received the others yet, obviously.

that's true...anatomy was definitely the weed out course. we did the osce without the white coat the 1st semester, then it was required for the rest of clinicals. my long coat never left the anatomy lab, sleeves get a little grimy after a while. went to senior friendship center 1st yr 2nd semester for a day...and somewhere else...hospice house maybe? things are still growing so who knows where 2013 class will go but either way you'll get clinical exp here

interview questions- straight out of sdn interview feedback section. it's a checklist during the interview. they read my grades, background and asked the usual stuff, why DO? why career change? things for stress relief? how to deal with conflict? study habits? its very relaxed, friendly, definitely the easiest interview I've had, actually enjoyable just chatting with them. by the time it was over, we ran late, it didn't feel like an interview. good luck and be yourself!!

Last edited:
Heather just sent the email inviting me to interview! I'm so excited I think I just did a lap around the inside of my house. Talk about a couple reversal of my outlook. Looking forward to seeing LECOM next friday.

P.S. Any advice and tips for the LECOM interview much appreciated.

Congrats! I received my call from Heather on Friday and did laps around my apartment. I'm really looking forward to it because Bradenton is my first choice. Anyone else interviewing Friday, Feb. 6?

I got the call from Heather last week, too! It definitely made for a happy new year! My interview is on January 30. Anyone else?

This is my first interview, too and LECOM-B is my first choice! :D:D:D

The same this happened to me. I interviewed on Dec. 8 and was put on the alternate list as well. They called me at home on Dec. 29 to tell me that I had been accepted into the class of 2013. Its not always a rejection...the admissions people told me that last year about 65 people (of the 100) on the wait-list were eventually accepted into the class of 1012.

PBLDO- Thanks for the info, I was getting a bit worried since LECOM-B would be a awesome school to attend. I did pretty well last quarter so I'll send in my new grades. Thanks again.

Hey, I also got that email. I just recently sent a letter to the Admissions Office updating them on what I've been up to and letting them know I am still interested in their school. I've been lucky enough to have 4 acceptances, but more and more I am realizing the importance of attending a medical school that you truly like and can see yourself being very happy at. Hopefully we both get invited for an interview soon! GOOD LUCK :luck:

I have several friends that have been told they were history. If you fail anything, you will have to go before the student progress committee. If you fail several things it's likely that you will be told you are out. However, you have the right to appeal any decision at all. I have known several folks who have appealed and all were given another chance. Typically, from what I've seen, the outcome of the appeals process is that they will allow you to take a comprehensive exam in that subject (or subjects). If you pass you are re-instated. If you fail, you are usually given the option to repeat the year. I have seen this happen quite a few times in my three years at Lecom-B. I know of one student who "failed out" twice and was still given the chance to take a remediation exam. Had she passed that, she would be on rotations with me now. Alas, that did not happen.

I have also known people who just gave up, didn't appeal, and aren't in medical school anymore. You need to know your rights as written in the handbook before you meet with the committe because they won't baby sit you on this. However, if you are willing to put in the effort, they have a history of working to help keep you in school. There are some people that started a year ahead of me, who are now in my class or a year behind me.

Thanks for the reply. I suspected there were other aspects to the story that were not released to me. It was kind of a person through a person story to begin with.

Congrats! I received my call from Heather on Friday and did laps around my apartment. I'm really looking forward to it because Bradenton is my first choice. Anyone else interviewing Friday, Feb. 6?

Submitted my secondary 12/24/08...status complete 1/02/09...Heather called 1/05/09 13:47 for Feb 6 interview.

Are you local Falling Gator?

I am sooooooooo excited about starting at LECOM in the fall.

But... it has been close to three years since I took the MCAT and longer since I finished my undergraduate studies. I've seen lots of advice to just enjoy the time before medical school by relaxing. But I was wondering if there was anything I could or should do to make sure I'm not starting out behind because I've forgotten material that is fresher in other students' minds. Chemistry, especially, worries me.

I am sooooooooo excited about starting at LECOM in the fall.

But... it has been close to three years since I took the MCAT and longer since I finished my undergraduate studies. I've seen lots of advice to just enjoy the time before medical school by relaxing. But I was wondering if there was anything I could or should do to make sure I'm not starting out behind because I've forgotten material that is fresher in other students' minds. Chemistry, especially, worries me.

Le Chatlier's (sp?) Principle is about all we've needed to know from chemistry so far. I would definitely know that concept inside and out. It came in handy conceptually during respiration studies...but nothing too complicated.

I'd probably look over buffers and acid base real quick. Orgo acid base might be a better review...at least judging from my undergrad books...

Also, maybe diffusion of gases and barely gas mixture concentrations...

Mostly the closest we've come to chemistry is some phys concepts, which you don't really need the chemistry for, and maybe, some pharm, but that is more like orgo. Definitely make sure you understand the concept of receptors, lock and key, steric hinderance (remember that from orgo...just means stuff on a molecule getting in the way of binding), etc.

It's a hard choice...whether to study ahead or relax. Part of me wishes I had studied ahead more, but part of me is glad I didn't. Here's how it works.

Right now, if I told you to study the anatomy of the back, you might spend the next month or two studying that 200 page chapter of the anatomy book, and still not know it very well.

Once you hit medical school, you cover it in, say, 1.5 weeks and know it MUCH better than if you had spent months on it now. You adapt your study habits to the volume of information being thrown at you. It also helps to have absurdly smart people around you...you rise to each others' levels and help each other out.

Now, looking back at anatomy, I can't believe that we spent that much time on the Back. Now, starting from nothing, I could probably do that entire chapter in 2 days. That's how much I've improved. I used to think that the 30 or so muscles in the back and all their origins, insertions, actions, and innervations was alot to memorize. HAHAHAHA!!!

So, your study time now will be wildly inefficient compared to your med school study time. Probably. This has been true of everyone I know, so...

That being said, I think you could learn alot by watching the Akland Anatomy DVD's (~$100 on Amazon, or you can maybe "find" them on google), or taking a really good/hard physiology class, etc. It's not a complete waste of time.

Submitted my secondary 12/24/08...status complete 1/02/09...Heather called 1/05/09 13:47 for Feb 6 interview.

Are you local Falling Gator?

I live in Gainesville. I'm going to drive down to Bradenton the night before.

If anyone is interviewing tomorrow, I look forward to seeing you there.

If anyone is around the area and needing or wanting a sleeper sofa I am selling mine. 400$. it is 5mons old.. I am selling it because I am withdrawing from LECOM. Let me know asap because it will need to be picked up by Thursday at the latest as im leaving Florida for good after that.

THANKS!

100_2020.jpg

100_2022.jpg

Le Chatlier's (sp?) Principle is about all we've needed to know from chemistry so far. I would definitely know that concept inside and out. It came in handy conceptually during respiration studies...but nothing too complicated.

I'd probably look over buffers and acid base real quick. Orgo acid base might be a better review...at least judging from my undergrad books...

Also, maybe diffusion of gases and barely gas mixture concentrations...

Mostly the closest we've come to chemistry is some phys concepts, which you don't really need the chemistry for, and maybe, some pharm, but that is more like orgo. Definitely make sure you understand the concept of receptors, lock and key, steric hinderance (remember that from orgo...just means stuff on a molecule getting in the way of binding), etc.

It's a hard choice...whether to study ahead or relax. Part of me wishes I had studied ahead more, but part of me is glad I didn't. Here's how it works.

Right now, if I told you to study the anatomy of the back, you might spend the next month or two studying that 200 page chapter of the anatomy book, and still not know it very well.

Once you hit medical school, you cover it in, say, 1.5 weeks and know it MUCH better than if you had spent months on it now. You adapt your study habits to the volume of information being thrown at you. It also helps to have absurdly smart people around you...you rise to each others' levels and help each other out.

Now, looking back at anatomy, I can't believe that we spent that much time on the Back. Now, starting from nothing, I could probably do that entire chapter in 2 days. That's how much I've improved. I used to think that the 30 or so muscles in the back and all their origins, insertions, actions, and innervations was alot to memorize. HAHAHAHA!!!

So, your study time now will be wildly inefficient compared to your med school study time. Probably. This has been true of everyone I know, so...

That being said, I think you could learn alot by watching the Akland Anatomy DVD's (~$100 on Amazon, or you can maybe "find" them on google), or taking a really good/hard physiology class, etc. It's not a complete waste of time.

Wow, thanks! That is incredibly helpful. I will definitely review the chemistry you mentioned. And my brother gave me a cool anatomy coloring book (more in-depth anatomy than my college anatomy class, but probably not med-school level) which seems like a fun way to get a head-start on that subject. It may not actually be that useful in the end but I figure it can't hurt and it will make me feel better in the mean time.

Wow, thanks! That is incredibly helpful. I will definitely review the chemistry you mentioned. And my brother gave me a cool anatomy coloring book (more in-depth anatomy than my college anatomy class, but probably not med-school level) which seems like a fun way to get a head-start on that subject. It may not actually be that useful in the end but I figure it can't hurt and it will make me feel better in the mean time.

The anatomy coloring books aren't bad. I didn't use one during anatomy, but I thought about it...

While your coloring all the muscles, try to memorize the nerve that innervates it as well. You don't really need to know most origins and insertions (attachments). If you know those, then you know the function. If you know the function you know the O/I's.

Google the University of Michigan Anatomy website. They have some good tables of this kind of stuff as well as some VERY good practice quizzes.

I have been preparing for my interview this friday by reading the AOA and Lecom website, pouring over my aacomas app and reading the interview feedback here on SDN? Am I missing anything that could help me prepare?

Lecom B is my top choice. If heather called me sat and told I was accepted I would have my deposit in that same day. Is there anyway to communicate this to the school and the interviewers without sounding desperate?

I have been preparing for my interview this friday by reading the AOA and Lecom website, pouring over my aacomas app and reading the interview feedback here on SDN? Am I missing anything that could help me prepare?

Lecom B is my top choice. If heather called me sat and told I was accepted I would have my deposit in that same day. Is there anyway to communicate this to the school and the interviewers without sounding desperate?

Well, I'll see you on Friday. I'll be meeting with you guys at lunch to answer any questions you may have. Probably be some 2nd years or something with me...

Really, don't sweat the interview. If you've gone over the SDN interview feedback, you're probably golden. Most of our faculty are nice, so just have fun and be yourself...unless you're a douche. :cool:

If it really is your 1st choice by a mile, I would definitely tell your interviewers that...and explain why. It was also my 1st choice, and I talked alot in the interview about how much I liked their PBL program, and had done PBL in organic chem in undergrad and loved it, etc etc.

Good luck and hope to see you there!

Hello of LECOM-B students who have been accepted or will be attending...w.e.

I wanted to share some good new I heard about the school. I had an interview at NSUCOM on tuesday. I am from New York. I didn't know much about LECOM at all but checked off LECOM-E when i was applying to schools and not the B campus. Anyways, the Interviewer asked me why I didn't apply to LECOM-B, after I told him i was accepted to Erie. He didn't know i was in the PBL in Erie, but the one thing i said to dodge the question was I didn't know if PBL would be the correct learning style for me.

He then said that he wasn't a believer in the PBL and actually was offered a position there and decided not to teach there. He went on to say it was a shame because they had really good board scores, and he is now a believer that it really is a great way to learn!!!!!

Just wanted to throw this out there, I figured it was a nice thing to hear coming from and interviewer at another school having been turning into a believer of the PBL method of learning.

GLUCK ALL

Hello of LECOM-B students who have been accepted or will be attending...w.e.

I wanted to share some good new I heard about the school. I had an interview at NSUCOM on tuesday. I am from New York. I didn't know much about LECOM at all but checked off LECOM-E when i was applying to schools and not the B campus. Anyways, the Interviewer asked me why I didn't apply to LECOM-B, after I told him i was accepted to Erie. He didn't know i was in the PBL in Erie, but the one thing i said to dodge the question was I didn't know if PBL would be the correct learning style for me.

He then said that he wasn't a believer in the PBL and actually was offered a position there and decided not to teach there. He went on to say it was a shame because they had really good board scores, and he is now a believer that it really is a great way to learn!!!!!

Just wanted to throw this out there, I figured it was a nice thing to hear coming from and interviewer at another school having been turning into a believer of the PBL method of learning.

GLUCK ALL

Filed under: Reasons why I declined my NSUCOM interview after being accepted to LECOM-B.

Tuition, Location (ugh with the urban crap), Lectures, and Rotations were all factors...to be fair.

just got an interview invite for feb 2... anyone else interviewing that day? my friend who interviewed in november mentioned its pretty low key and low stress, minus that paper they have you read and discuss... if anyone wants to go in on a car rental maybe? still haven't worked out any details but super excited.....

Hello,

Anybody else interviewing on Monday? I get into town Saturday evening from California and will be checking out Bradenton and the surrounding area on Sunday.

Let me know if you're interested in hanging out!

just got an interview invite for feb 2... anyone else interviewing that day? my friend who interviewed in november mentioned its pretty low key and low stress, minus that paper they have you read and discuss... if anyone wants to go in on a car rental maybe? still haven't worked out any details but super excited.....

I also just got an interview invite for Feb 2....I'm impressed with their response, considering my file wasn't complete until this past Sunday.

I also just got an interview invite for Feb 2....I'm impressed with their response, considering my file wasn't complete until this past Sunday.

Congrats! I was pretty impressed as well. Heather was super friendly and put up with about five solid minutes of babbling while it sunk in that I was getting an interview offer. If you're out of state, have you heard of a good (read: wallet-friendly) place to stay the night before..? I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to get a rental car etc....

Congrats! I was pretty impressed as well. Heather was super friendly and put up with about five solid minutes of babbling while it sunk in that I was getting an interview offer. If you're out of state, have you heard of a good (read: wallet-friendly) place to stay the night before..? I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to get a rental car etc....

I would get a rental care...then you can go to the fun places like the beach...

The Econo Lodge on 64 is probably the best "cheap" place to stay. I stayed there once, but not for my interview, and it was nice enough...

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ellenton for my interview, but it's a little more.

Use www.kayak.com to find cheap deals, and avoid Motel 6 like the plague.

Yes, I'm coming down from Georgia and looking to stay overnight. I have family in Tampa, but I'd rather be as close as possible for a 7:45 AM interview. I'll look around for a good deal and post it here if I find one.

I would get a rental care...then you can go to the fun places like the beach...

The Econo Lodge on 64 is probably the best "cheap" place to stay. I stayed there once, but not for my interview, and it was nice enough...

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ellenton for my interview, but it's a little more.

Use www.kayak.com to find cheap deals, and avoid Motel 6 like the plague.

Thanks for the tip guys! Gonna go look into rentals now..

Hello everyone!! I am super happy because I have an interview on LECOM-B this upcomming wednesday. Is anybody else going to be there that day?? Which of the LECOM-B students are going to be there?? I would like to know, so maybe I can meet some of you. Also, I am getting very anxious, so please if someone has interviewed at LECOM on 2009, can you post the interview questions on the interview thread? The ones there are from December 08.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your support!!!! :love:

Hello everyone!! I am super happy because I have an interview on LECOM-B this upcomming wednesday. Is anybody else going to be there that day?? Which of the LECOM-B students are going to be there?? I would like to know, so maybe I can meet some of you. Also, I am getting very anxious, so please if someone has interviewed at LECOM on 2009, can you post the interview questions on the interview thread? The ones there are from December 08.

The questions won't have changed from the December interviews. Honestly, I don't think they change them very much from year to year.

This is not the interview to stress about. It's the one to be relaxed and friendly at, and to show them how personable you are, so your PBL group members won't want to murder you...

To the other Feb 2nd interviewees: good luck finding a hotel room. The Super Bowl is in Tampa the day before our interview and there's hardly anything available. If you do find one, it isn't cheap.

Congrats! I think I'll be one of the 2nd years having lunch with your group and giving a tour that day so feel free to bring any questions you may have.

Like digitl said the questions should be the same. It's really nothing to stress over. At this point they've already decided you are "qualified" enough to get in, now it's really just a chance for you to see if the school/PBL is what you want and to help them decide if you'd be a good fit for the curriculum.