LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ohio, I'm from Columbus as well... but I'm currently on the waitlist... maybe, just maybe, you'll have a Buckeye friend next year.

Butterfly, we've got a group of 2013 Columbus people going out tomorrow night. Wanna come? PM me for the details.

Members don't see this ad.

My home state is in the same league as Korea? Wow! :D

(Incidentally, the only way you'd get deployed here in North Dakota for a full deployment is in the air force. We've had a few guard units from Michigan in the area thanks to the flooding in Fargo, but I believe they're pretty much done now.)

Sorry Altruist!! Forgive me! I wasn't trying to knock your home state. I just was remembering back to basic training with the Air Force when all the active duty folks were finding out where they were going to be stationed for the next few years and everyone was crossing their fingers hoping not to get Minot, ND (because rumor was there is nothing to do there or anywhere within driving distance) or Korea because it was so far away. All of the Air Guard people were just glad to be going back to their home state to start college and drill.

And just a slight technical correction on the use of 'deployments'... The Air Force stations Active Duty personnel at various bases at home (Minot, ND) and abroad (Korea). It also can send you from your home station on a temporary mission (deployment) somewhere else (usually overseas-Turkey, Iraq, etc) with the idea that you'll return to the home station to finish out your tour. It can also change your home station to meet its needs during your contract.
EX. Airman completes basic training (boot camp) is stationed in Minot, ND. Works there for a year, is deployed to Iraq for 9 months, returns to Minot, ND for a year and then is PCSed (permenant change of station) to Korea for the rest of his contract.

The difference between the Army and Air National Guard and the active duty military is that in the Guard you pick where you live and the military cannot change your duty station. You report to the base once a month instead of every day. The Guard can, and very likely will use you for deployments when necessary. But if they don't need you overseas or in a national emergency (read 9/11, Katrina, etc) then you have a lot more control over your life and live pretty much like a normal civilian. As a self-proclaimed control freak, control for me is priceless.

Last edited:
....My fiance is from Dillon....QUOTE]

I've got to say there's not much about Dillon that I like. When my highschool would travel to Dillon to play football there was sure to be at least one knife fight amongst the crowd....hahahah! :D

True true, She says that was about par for the course. She's a vicious knife fighter in a corner. Keep the pointy objects away from her is your best bet for survival.

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY GUYS (okay this is is caps cuz i need people to read this instead of glancing over it. lol)

SO I'M MOVING FROM PHILADELPHIA TO BRADENTON SOMETIME IN JULY OBV TO START CLASSES. AND I'M LOOKING TO LIVE AT THE YACHT CLUB, BUT I NEED A ROOMATE....SOOOO IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR ME...MAYBE WE CAN TALK??? OR MAYBE ANYONE CAN HELP ME FIND ONE???

I REALLY NEED HELP. THIS IS SOOO FRUSTRATINGGGG

HEY GUYS (okay this is is caps cuz i need people to read this instead of glancing over it. lol)

SO I'M MOVING FROM PHILADELPHIA TO BRADENTON SOMETIME IN JULY OBV TO START CLASSES. AND I'M LOOKING TO LIVE AT THE YACHT CLUB, BUT I NEED A ROOMATE....SOOOO IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR ME...MAYBE WE CAN TALK??? OR MAYBE ANYONE CAN HELP ME FIND ONE???

I REALLY NEED HELP. THIS IS SOOO FRUSTRATINGGGG

Breathe. You're about to start medical school. It'll be ok.

Have you tried: Facebook class of 2013 group? Facebook listings? Lecom B sga website? Craigslist (scary for roommates good for houses)?

Just go friend everyone in the 2013 group and make some friends...

Breathe. You're about to start medical school. It'll be ok.

Have you tried: Facebook class of 2013 group? Facebook listings? Lecom B sga website? Craigslist (scary for roommates good for houses)?

Just go friend everyone in the 2013 group and make some friends...

Good idea man, I had forgotten to do that.

FYI waitlisters you'll also need to get a background check and send all your official transcripts to the school. You may be able to get a jump start on these tasks.

When I talked to heather on the phone about accepting a position on the waitlist, she did not mention transcripts, background checks or immunization shots.

Does anyone know for sure what a waitlister is responsible for at LECOM Bradenton. There is a clear list for those who are accepted however, I have yet to find this list for waitlisters.

also, I just joined yesterday so please forgive me if this information is outlined some where else on this website.

When I talked to heather on the phone about accepting a position on the waitlist, she did not mention transcripts, background checks or immunization shots.

Does anyone know for sure what a waitlister is responsible for at LECOM Bradenton. There is a clear list for those who are accepted however, I have yet to find this list for waitlisters.

also, I just joined yesterday so please forgive me if this information is outlined some where else on this website.

Officially, I think waitlisters are just responsible for...waiting.

All I'm saying is that if you're on the waitlist, it probably can't hurt (except your wallet) to go ahead and have all your stuff ready.

As far as I know about the waitlist, which is very little, you don't have to do anything until you are accepted. I only made the suggestion about transcripts, background check and shots for those who like to get a head start.

Hey guys...just an update to clear up some of the Board Score confusion:

Last year LECOM-B was #2 in both "COMLEX Pass Rate" and "Average COMLEX Score".

COMLEX Pass Rate is just the number of students that passed the COMLEX. We had 4 failures total, which is pretty good.

The official results for this year won't be finalized until May or June, but we know that the school which was #1 last year (TCOM) had far more failures this year than we did...we think we're #1 this year, but won't know for another month or two...

My school rocks. :)

...we think we're #1 this year, but won't know for another month or two...

Note- you don't have to thank me for my personal contribution..... but you can if you feel like it :D

Also, the four of my classmates who failed on the first attempt this year did very well and all passed the second time. That means the overall pass rate was 100%-- just like last year. Of course, I never did like those "overall" stats-- too confusing :laugh:.

Last edited:
Just sent in the matriculation fee and forms today! I'm pumped. Can't wait to get there. Now I just have to find somewhere to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if LECOM-B has a simulator patient? I had an interview last week but I don't remember them mentioning it or seeing it.

No. (I'm assuming you mean those computer controlled dummies).

For physical exam skills real standardized patients are brought in. Those simulators are cool and all, I just don't know how useful they'd be during the 1st two years of med school.

Does anyone know if LECOM-B has a simulator patient? I had an interview last week but I don't remember them mentioning it or seeing it.

Yeah, real patients are better. The dummies are neat and all, but this is one case where I don't think technology has the upper hand yet...

There are some fake body parts laying around. I know the Emergency Med club has held teaching sessions on how to do different procedures and for those we had some fake arms to practice needle sticks on, etc. There was also an intubation dummy, and some other random stuff. I'm not 100% sure these belonged to the school or if they were borrowed, but I think they were ours.

Honestly for most procedures, you'd be suprised what you can do with some food items:

Chest Tubes: 1 order of Ribs please.
Sub Q Injections: Orange
Sutures: Stitch a peeled Banana back together (or oranges, doesn't matter)

Honestly, I think that 99% of our SP's are pretty good. They're real people, and are very good and giving feedback about how you're doing. Also, many of them are old (being Florida and all) so they tend to have some pathology going on somewhere...

Hey guys...just an update to clear up some of the Board Score confusion:

Last year LECOM-B was #2 in both "COMLEX Pass Rate" and "Average COMLEX Score".

COMLEX Pass Rate is just the number of students that passed the COMLEX. We had 4 failures total, which is pretty good.

The official results for this year won't be finalized until May or June, but we know that the school which was #1 last year (TCOM) had far more failures this year than we did...we think we're #1 this year, but won't know for another month or two...

Nice numbers to be able to show my family and other people who were wondering why I wasn't going MD.

Thanks for the assist guys ;)

On another note Im getting very anxious I interviewed on April 6th and haven't heard anything yet. I know things are probably taking longer since its near the end of the cycle but I really liked LECOM-B and as each day passes I become more nervous!

Did they mention at your interview when the board would next be meeting? When I interviewed, they said that we could call the day after the next meeting if we "really needed to know". I called and got my answer over the phone.

Good luck.

Well it's official...... I am now DONE with 2nd year!!! (except for boards)

:soexcited: Now for a couple days of brain healing.

Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear back!!

Well it's official...... I am now DONE with 2nd year!!! (except for boards)

:soexcited: Now for a couple days of brain healing.

Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear back!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!:D

Hi guys!!! It has been such a long time since i have posted here!! Last time, i was getting ready for my interview in January. I found out the following week that I got in!!!

I just wanted to ask for advice from some of the "veteran" students at Lecom-B on what I should do to prepare for what is about to come. I want to know as much as possible on how to prepare for the classes, the stress, and also i want to get to know all of you!!!!

If anyone has any advice, please post it here. I'll be anxiously waiting for your posts!!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL GUYS!!!!:love:

I just wanted to ask for advice from some of the "veteran" students at Lecom-B on what I should do to prepare for what is about to come. I want to know as much as possible on how to prepare for the classes, the stress, and also i want to get to know all of you!!!!

If anyone has any advice, please post it here. I'll be anxiously waiting for your posts!!!!

Besides the obvious of getting your background check and required blood work stuff done....... just relax, do nothing.

Visit family, hang out with friends, travel, etc.... I'm not really sure there is much you can do to prepare, besides being ready to jump in with the attitude that it's a marathon and as long as you can keep chugging along at a decent pace you'll do fine. Stress can do some strange things to people so just be prepared for that, hopefully at this point you are emotionally "intact" and have some ways of dealing with stress in a health manner. :thumbup:

Congrats on the acceptance! For now just enjoy being accepted to medical school!!

Hi guys!!! It has been such a long time since i have posted here!! Last time, i was getting ready for my interview in January. I found out the following week that I got in!!!

Congrats! As nlax said, there's not alot for you to do besides your paperwork. Get that done ASAP though. Some of those tests can take longer than expected...it's very common for the doctor and/or lab to screw up the drug screen by ordering the wrong panel of drugs. TCA's usually get left off.

Other than that, I spent the time before school graduating, finding a place to live, packing, and moving.

There really isn't alot you can do to prepare for class. Get the books you need. There's a good post in last years' LECOM-B Class of 2012 thread from nlax about what books to get/not get...although your book list is hopefully changed a little.

Anatomy: Your book should be Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy, I think. Great book. Much better than the "Grey's Anatomy For Students" that we used. I would recommend getting the "Grey's For Students" Flashcards though. The pictures in grey's are colorful and good, and the flashcards use those, as well as have clinical stuff on them too.

Anatomy Lab: Get Rohen's Atlas. You'll also get Netter's for free from the SOMA club early next year. You shouldn't need any other atlas regardless of what they tell you to get.

PBL doesn't start for a couple of weeks, so you have a little extra time to get most of the rest of your books. Price shop. I used www.bigwords.com.

I wouldn't bother much with "pre-reading". It's hard and doesn't really help. If you insist, then I'd watch the Acland Anatomy DVD's, which you can buy on Amazon, or "download" online somewhere, if you're so inclined...

Handling stress: Get a house with a hot tub. Have some type of outlet. Fun things you like to do. If you like music, you can join our newly formed (and awesome!) choir. Lots of sports going on too. I like to go to the beach once or twice a month and study there on the weekend. Study consistently and don't try to cram everything in at the last minute. There's a massage school nearby that gives cheap massages. Have a good support system (family, SO, etc). Try to have someone (parents, friends, etc) come visit you during the year...best times are after PBL tests.

That's about all I've got...you'll be fine. Go join the facebook class of 2013 group!

Thanks a lot nlax30 and digitlnoize!!! I just want to be prepared for what is about to come. So far nobody has sent me the book list for 2013, and I don't see it in my portal either; Maybe I should e-mail them to ask, because I don't want to wait until the first day of class, when I am going to end up paying a lot of $$ :eek:

I also was wondering if I can get a bird's eye view of the next 4 years (especially rotations/clinics). I have heard that I have to pretty much schedule my own rotations with little help from the university. How do/did you guys do it? Where do I start? ...How about specializations?

Again, thanks a lot for all your help. I am very excited because I am about to start the career of my dreams!! :highfive::soexcited:
P.S.: I have already joined the facebook class of 2013!!!:banana:

Thanks a lot nlax30 and digitlnoize!!! I just want to be prepared for what is about to come. So far nobody has sent me the book list for 2013, and I don't see it in my portal either; Maybe I should e-mail them to ask, because I don't want to wait until the first day of class, when I am going to end up paying a lot of $$ :eek:

I also was wondering if I can get a bird's eye view of the next 4 years (especially rotations/clinics). I have heard that I have to pretty much schedule my own rotations with little help from the university. How do/did you guys do it? Where do I start? ...How about specializations?

Again, thanks a lot for all your help. I am very excited because I am about to start the career of my dreams!! :highfive::soexcited:
P.S.: I have already joined the facebook class of 2013!!!:banana:

I'll let nlax handle the rotation questions since he's already gone through it. I do think there is a fair amount of leg work you have to do on your own, but you have alot of freedom, so to me, it seems like a fair trade...

Hi guys.. thanks a lot for your replies, since i am trying to learn as much about the whole process as i can. I wanted to know if there is a specific type of laptop that i should buy, or if I can just buy any. Which one would you think would be the best buy for what I will need? Are there any other items (e.g. recorder, etc..) that would make my life easier? Is there anything else that you can recommend me to do/buy/read?

Hope to meet you some day!!! :zip:

Hi guys.. thanks a lot for your replies, since i am trying to learn as much about the whole process as i can. I wanted to know if there is a specific type of laptop that i should buy, or if I can just buy any. Which one would you think would be the best buy for what I will need? Are there any other items (e.g. recorder, etc..) that would make my life easier? Is there anything else that you can recommend me to do/buy/read?

Hope to meet you some day!!! :zip:

Pretty much any laptop will work. I would check out HP's. I love mine and haven't had a single problem in 4 years...it even has Vista...makes me wonder why everyone complains so much about it...

Macs work fine too. Lots of classmates have them. Bit pricey IMO, but good.

I wouldn't bother with a lecture recorder. We only have lectures for 10 weeks and you won't have time to listen to it anyways. Besides, you could always use the "Sound Recorder" built into Windows if you really have to.

Right now, I'd be more worried about finding an awesome place to live, getting moved in, getting your books, and getting organized. It's a pretty simple formula here:

1. Read Books.
2. Read Books More.
3. Read Books More.
4. Pass Test.

You kinda just need books, eyes, and a pencil. :D

Does anyone know about the time that majority of the wait-listers are offered positions? I keep hearing that May 15th is when most medical schools require a commitment and there are a lot of positions that come available at that time.

I read that LECOM Bradenton took 60% from the wait list last year. Did most of this occur at a particular time?

Does anyone know about the time that majority of the wait-listers are offered positions? I keep hearing that May 15th is when most medical schools require a commitment and there are a lot of positions that come available at that time.

I read that LECOM Bradenton took 60% from the wait list last year. Did most of this occur at a particular time?

After May 15th is when things really start moving. I think June is probably the busiest month, but no promises...

Really? I have Moore's 4th edition, which I stop reading in favor of Gray's. Sure, Gray's is twice as long, very dry and dense, and cost 3x as much, but for quality of information...Grey's seemed a much better text.

To each his own, I guess, but my class (and the profs) unanimously hated Gray's. You are talking about "Gray's Anatomy For Students" right?

This one: http://vkb.110mb.com/cdrom/textbooks/Gray's Anatomy for Students, 2004.jpg

It does contain many errors, so watch out. Overall, Moore's is more accurate, easier to read (at least for me), and has good clinical correlations. But really, use whatever you're comfortable with...

My mom just gave me her "Moore Clinically Oriented anatomy 2nd edition" she used in her class twenty years ago!! She was surprised that Moore has only reached a 4th edition. She said she spent $225.00 back then so $199 for 4th edition is a steal.

I am going to look over the 2nd edition this summer but I will buy the 4th edition later if I get offered a position. I am still on the "alternate list". LECOM Bradenton is my dream school so wish me luck getting accepted. :xf:

My mom just gave me her "Moore Clinically Oriented anatomy 2nd edition" she used in her class twenty years ago!! She was surprised that Moore has only reached a 4th edition. She said she spent $225.00 back then so $199 for 4th edition is a steal.

$199??!! :eek:

May want to check that again, where are you seeing it for $199?

$199??!! :eek:

May want to check that again, where are you seeing it for $199?

Sorry, It was Gray's Anatomy, 40th Edition - The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice, Expert Consult that was $199 (according to the link provided by ChiroDC)

Yea i just bought one for like $63ish. hopefully they want us to have the sixth ed cause I'm not switching now :p

You can find the 6th ed in paperback for <$70 on Amazon.

I live about 65 miles south of Lakewood ranch. I am hoping to go to school at LECOM in about 3 years. But when you come house hunt you may be able to find something in Sarasota. Wonderful school system to my knowledge and I would think with traffic same distant south than north to tampa.

Hey, me too! I live in W. Bradenton, and plan to apply in 2 years for Class of 2016! I'm doing the remainder of my prereqs (ochem/physics) in 2009/2010, and finishing up my bachelors at Florida Gulf Coast University. I'm currently working in a NICU as a health unit coordinator, and one of the neonatologists is a DO who I am hoping will be my DO letter writer.

After May 15th is when things really start moving. I think June is probably the busiest month, but no promises...

I'm wondering if LECOM-B conducted more interviews than the previous years since there was an increase in applications...

If they did...I wouldn't count too much on the 60% acceptance from the WL....:thumbdown:

I'm wondering if LECOM-B conducted more interviews than the previous years since there was an increase in applications...

If they did...I wouldn't count too much on the 60% acceptance from the WL....:thumbdown:

I wouldn't guess that there were too many more. The interview groups I saw were about the same number as the group I was in, and they lasted about as many weeks.

I mean, there may have been some small variation, but I certainly don't think they interviewed THAT many more applicants...

Also, remember that waitlists are very fickle creatures. I know of at least 2 people on the waitlist here that are likely going elsewhere. This type of thing also adds to the high acceptance figure. It's not JUST people dropping their LECOM-B acceptances, it's also people leaving the waitlist.

Right now, many people are on waitlists for their 1st choice schools. This is what happened to me last year. I was holding out for my state MD schools (not b/c I care about MD vs. DO...having worked in a hospital with both, I can tell you that it's really not a big deal SDN...:rolleyes:) but because we preferred to be closer to home and family, since we have a kid and all...

Fortunately, I didn't get into either of those places. Their waitlists (which normally move ALOT) didn't move at all because another state school overaccepted their class, so THEY didn't offer waitlists spots and there was a trickle-down effect.

So, our final decision to come here wasn't made until mid-late June, when it became: "holy crap, we need to find a house and schedule movers NOW". But, it could have easily gone the other way too, and there would have been an extra open slot here in June.

Luckily that didn't happen. Once we were here and in class, we realized that we LOVE the area, that our family can come visit often enough, and that the school is spectacular (which I knew already, of course!).

The Bottom Line is this: Be patient and persistent. You'll wind up in the place that is right for you when the time is right. If you don't get in this year, fix your apps and reapply. It'll happen. Just want it bad enough.

I wouldn't guess that there were too many more. The interview groups I saw were about the same number as the group I was in, and they lasted about as many weeks.

I mean, there may have been some small variation, but I certainly don't think they interviewed THAT many more applicants...

Also, remember that waitlists are very fickle creatures. I know of at least 2 people on the waitlist here that are likely going elsewhere. This type of thing also adds to the high acceptance figure. It's not JUST people dropping their LECOM-B acceptances, it's also people leaving the waitlist.

Right now, many people are on waitlists for their 1st choice schools. This is what happened to me last year. I was holding out for my state MD schools (not b/c I care about MD vs. DO...having worked in a hospital with both, I can tell you that it's really not a big deal SDN...:rolleyes:) but because we preferred to be closer to home and family, since we have a kid and all...

Fortunately, I didn't get into either of those places. Their waitlists (which normally move ALOT) didn't move at all because another state school overaccepted their class, so THEY didn't offer waitlists spots and there was a trickle-down effect.

So, our final decision to come here wasn't made until mid-late June, when it became: "holy crap, we need to find a house and schedule movers NOW". But, it could have easily gone the other way too, and there would have been an extra open slot here in June.

Luckily that didn't happen. Once we were here and in class, we realized that we LOVE the area, that our family can come visit often enough, and that the school is spectacular (which I knew already, of course!).

The Bottom Line is this: Be patient and persistent. You'll wind up in the place that is right for you when the time is right. If you don't get in this year, fix your apps and reapply. It'll happen. Just want it bad enough.

:xf::xf::xf:

I initially had trouble with the "60% acceptance from the waitlist" statistic but now that I take in consideration those who leave the waitlist before being denied, the high percentage seems plausible.

I have heard that my state MD school gives 20% of the accepted positions a letter stating that they are only considered as alternates however will be accepted if they sign up for the rural program. I have yet to see one of these letters however I have heard this story from more than one source.

If all medical schools followed in this practice, the 60% acceptance from the waitlist statistic would also make sense.

All I know for sure is that I am on the waitlist and I like that number. :rolleyes:

Also, for those who fell through the cracks last year and have to apply again this year; AACOMAS has a great feature that allows you to transfer your 2009 application to the 2010 application. I discovered this yesterday. Of course you have to overhaul what you wrote in the personal statement and add new experiences. It is nice to save time on entering in all your classes and family history!!!:banana:

Hey guys,

A question for all you starting first years,

Have we received a list yet of books for us to purchase? I'm still scrambling to get all my paperwork in, but soon I'll have to find an apartment for the wife and I. After that I figure I'll need to snag the books for next year but I haven't gotten any lists or anything of the like yet.

Am I missing something? I see people discussing this edition or that, and I haven't even gotten all my test results in.

Hey guys,

Have we received a list yet of books for us to purchase? I'm still scrambling to get all my paperwork in, but soon I'll have to find an apartment for the wife and I. After that I figure I'll need to snag the books for next year but I haven't gotten any lists or anything of the like yet.

Am I missing something? I see people discussing this edition or that, and I haven't even gotten all my test results in.

I don't think you've gotten a book list yet. Earlier in the thread, some of us current students said what some of the books are likely to be, and I think some people are getting stuff based on that, or maybe last years' list...

As far as I know, the only things changing from last year are: Pathology (Rubin's to Robbin's), Anatomy (Gray's for Students to Moore's), Micro (adding a 2nd book, but you won't need it 1st year anyways most likely.)

Again, I'm PRETTY sure these are the changes, but they always reserve the right to surprise us, so don't kill me if I wind up being wrong. Not that it matters that much. These are certainly superior books, and it doesn't really matter that much.

Hey guys,

No book list yet as far as I know.

On a different note, I just got my financial aid award letter yesterday, so that stuff is starting to roll out. They'll send you an email when yours is ready.

Yay for my first $58k in debt! :eek:

On a different note, I just got my financial aid award letter yesterday, so that stuff is starting to roll out. They'll send you an email when yours is ready.

I second that, same here. Now it's time to put my $$ where my mouth is.

yay for crap tax status, I'm supposed to live on 9k a year!

(Lucky I've got a Sugarmama to take care of me ;)

I know a lot of people get rolling bags to carry the massive number of books required for PBL. I was just wondering if there was a favorite style or brand that people liked, or any advide on the best place to buy them. Plus, I was wondering how necessary you think the wheels are. Would you be okay carrying a sturdy canvas bag? And, roughly speaking, how many books do you bring to class with you?