LECOM Bradenton MMS Program 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My AIS score is 117 and it says that I am eligible for admission into the program. My cGPA and sGPA was on the higher side its 3.8 and 3.65, but I'm still worried about the interview.
I am in the same boat so I get it. I am studying to re-take it, but I am only going to retake it if I am sure I can score higher; meaning if my practice exams are showing me scoring significantly higher. My plan is to re-take it and try to score as high as I can as well as kicking butt in this program!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the same boat so I get it. I am studying to re-take it, but I am only going to retake it if I am sure I can score higher; meaning if my practice exams are showing me scoring significantly higher. My plan is to re-take it and try to score as high as I can as well as kicking butt in this program!
Literally same!!

Members don't see this ad :)
My AIS score is 117 and it says that I am eligible for admission into the program. My cGPA and sGPA was on the higher side its 3.8 and 3.65, but I'm still worried about the interview.
If your AIS score or MCAT qualify no matter how borderline, I would suggest just focusing on your performance in the program. From what I gathered during our interviews, it didn't matter so much about how high your scores were after you hit the minimum required. The most important parts seemed to be the program GPA and the extra stuff like shadowing and if you don't have shadowing, then working on projects on campus. I had a 500 MCAT and a very poor AIS. They asked more about shadowing and my opinion on my performance in the program rather than my test scores.

Order of importance: (after getting qualifying test scores) Program GPA>> Shadowing/relevant experience>> test scores.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If your AIS score or MCAT qualify no matter how borderline, I would suggest just focusing on your performance in the program. From what I gathered during our interviews, it didn't matter so much about how high your scores were after you hit the minimum required. The most important parts seemed to be the program GPA and the extra stuff like shadowing and if you don't have shadowing, then working on projects on campus. I had a 500 MCAT and a very poor AIS. They asked more about shadowing and my opinion on my performance in the program rather than my test scores.

Order of importance: (after getting qualifying test scores) Program GPA>> Shadowing/relevant experience>> test scores.
Thank you so much for that! :) I believe I do have sufficient shadowing experiances. Do you recommend doing any extracurriculars while we are in the program?

Thank you so much for that! :) I believe I do have sufficient shadowing experiances. Do you recommend doing any extracurriculars while we are in the program?
That depends on you personally. I know that it will be suggested that you do take part in some EC’s but I didn’t and just focused on getting good grades, watching football on sunday, and making sure my dogs were being taken care of. Develop a good study habit and schedule and work in what you want after you get the grades you want.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
The acceptance letter states that a 3.0 is needed for an interview. What’s the mms gpa cutoff for guaranteed acceptance assuming mcat, gpa, and shadowing experiences meet minimum requirements? I remember someone mentioning a 3.4 or is it much higher?

I saw in the acceptance letter packet that a drug test is required. Does this apply to MMS students? If so, is it a breathalyzer, urine, or a blood test?

I saw in the acceptance letter packet that a drug test is required. Does this apply to MMS students? If so, is it a breathalyzer, urine, or a blood test?
Urine test for everything.

Are there shadowing opportunities at LECOM or their staff? I would like to add some shadowing to my application but I don't know anybody in that area who can provide shadowing.

The acceptance letter states that a 3.0 is needed for an interview. What’s the mms gpa cutoff for guaranteed acceptance assuming mcat, gpa, and shadowing experiences meet minimum requirements? I remember someone mentioning a 3.4 or is it much higher?
They will not tell you what the gpa cutoff for acceptance is. I can tell you if you have below a 3.3 you will not be offered an acceptance. During the original interview, the sixteen that were accepted right away were 3.5+ eventually most people that interviewed well and were 3.3+ at the end of the program were offered a spot. It was something like 33 of 36 that interviewed eventually were accepted.
Are there shadowing opportunities at LECOM or their staff? I would like to add some shadowing to my application but I don't know anybody in that area who can provide shadowing.
There are plenty of doctors around the area that know what LECOM is. When you get here just start asking around to local clinics or the ER somebody will eventually say yes.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the class size? Are the grading scales for the exams preset or are you graded against the performance of your classmates?

What is the class size? Are the grading scales for the exams preset or are you graded against the performance of your classmates?
Our class when it started was at ~88 dropped down to 75 at the time of the fall semester. Some professors will curve the exams based on who was the closest to a 100. So like if the highest grade was a 92 everyone gets an 8 point curve. Most professors will just drop questions that the majority got wrong and the ones that got it correct get extra points. Standard 100-90 89-80 79-60 grading scale. Points are awarded fairly. There is no limit as to how many people can get an A on a test.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does it say anything about when you have to undergo the test? Like do you think they do it at their preferred lab provider near the school around orientation?

Does anyone have this year's or last year's class schedule for the summer?

Our class when it started was at ~88 dropped down to 75 at the time of the fall semester. Some professors will curve the exams based on who was the closest to a 100. So like if the highest grade was a 92 everyone gets an 8 point curve. Most professors will just drop questions that the majority got wrong and the ones that got it correct get extra points. Standard 100-90 89-80 79-60 grading scale. Points are awarded fairly. There is no limit as to how many people can get an A on a test.

Thx for the detailed info. Do professors hold office hours? And are they generally responsive to student questions?

A bit off topic but does anyone have any reviews or tips on renting in either Lost Creek or Creekside Ranch? Do they negotiate their prices? I’m getting quotes in the high $1400s for a 1/1.

Also if anyone is looking for a roommate please lmk, preferably male.

Thx for the detailed info. Do professors hold office hours? And are they generally responsive to student questions?
The professors do have scheduled office hours but they also have an open door policy meaning they encourage you just to go see if they are in their office and stop by. Most of the professors in the MMS program are genuinely great people. They are more than happy to help you succeed and they do realize the program is hard but a thing to keep in mind is that all of these professors are also teaching the medical, pharmacy, and dental students. MMS students are pretty low on the totem pole so don't take it to heart if they are short and to the point when classes start to get more hectic.

A bit off topic but does anyone have any reviews or tips on renting in either Lost Creek or Creekside Ranch? Do they negotiate their prices? I’m getting quotes in the high $1400s for a 1/1.

1/1's are crazy expensive everywhere. I think 3rd floor at Ranch Lake for a 1/1 was somewhere around 1100 last time I checked. Highly recommend getting a roommate rent and fees stack up quickly especially if you are relying completely on loans.

Apartments in the area are so expensive. I am doing a 1/1 and am paying over $1400 a month at EchoLake. They are all around that price though due to demand at our time of move in :(

Does anyone else received a contigency acceptance? I took MCAT last year and got 497. My acceptance letter said that I will get an interview only if I retake MCAT by January 2020 and score on the 40th percentile. My score was on the 40th percentile last year (2017-2018). This year it moved to 37th percentile.

Does anyone else received a contigency acceptance? I took MCAT last year and got 497. My acceptance letter said that I will get an interview only if I retake MCAT by January 2020 and score on the 40th percentile. My score was on the 40th percentile last year (2017-2018). This year it moved to 37th percentile.
I have the same contingency. I am looking for the study buddy ;)

After you send in the $500 deposit, do you get the matriculation forms by email or mail?

I got it through email.

Do you remember how long it took you to receive the email with the matriculation forms after you sent in your deposit? I sent mine a week ago and the portal says they got my deposit but I didn't receive the email.

Do you remember how long it took you to receive the email with the matriculation forms after you sent in your deposit? I sent mine a week ago and the portal says they got my deposit but I didn't receive the email.
I still havent gotten the email either. I called the office and they said everybody is busy with commencement. So i'd give it some time.

Did you guys join the facebook page? You can get more help directly from people who got admitted. I received email within 2 days after dropping the check.

I still havent gotten the email either. I called the office and they said everybody is busy with commencement. So i'd give it some time.

Did you call Ms. Taylor? I called her but she never picks up.

Did you call Ms. Taylor? I called her but she never picks up.
Oh yeah good luck with that, it took me forever to get a hold of her. You basically have to keep calling until you get lucky enough for her to pick up.

Oh yeah good luck with that, it took me forever to get a hold of her. You basically have to keep calling until you get lucky enough for her to pick up.
I've literally been trying to get ahold of her since May 5th! Left so many messages, emails, and written notes with the receptionist. Hope you luck out and she picks up =)

I've literally been trying to get ahold of her since May 5th! Left so many messages, emails, and written notes with the receptionist. Hope you luck out and she picks up =)

Are you waiting on the matriculation forms too?

Has anyone heard back about financial aid or book lists? I am thinking maybe now that commencement is finished, we might be hearing back about these things soon!

Has anyone heard back about financial aid or book lists? I am thinking maybe now that commencement is finished, we might be hearing back about these things soon!
I got an email about insurance but that’s about it

Does anyone know where we can find an updated cost of attendance for the program? Apparently the health insurance went up to $3525 per year? So I guess the breakdown I attached below is no longer applicable?

Attachments

• LECOM.PNG
    LECOM.PNG
    36.7 KB · Views: 109
Yeah I got them months ago back when I was accepted in like January but I guess since then they haven’t been sending them?

I sent my $500 matriculation check and the portal says that they got it but I haven’t received any information about the matriculation forms. Ms. Taylor doesn’t respond to calls or emails and I emailed the registrar too but no response. I’m unsure about what to do now :(

Just got them today

Last edited:
Dr. Gnarra said that he would be sending information such as a booklist and other items to accepted students via email by the end of this week!

Dr. Gnarra said that he would be sending information such as a booklist and other items to accepted students via email by the end of this week!
Thank you for letting us know!!! :)

Apartments in the area are so expensive. I am doing a 1/1 and am paying over $1400 a month at EchoLake. They are all around that price though due to demand at our time of move in :(

Yep, me too. 1/1 as well at Echo. It is expensive for FL, but what can you do? At least we are super close to LECOM and the area is new. :) Yay for someone else being at Echo. :giggle:

• Love
Yep, me too. 1/1 as well at Echo. It is expensive for FL, but what can you do? At least we are super close to LECOM and the area is new. :) Yay for someone else being at Echo. :giggle:

Awwwhh awesome! We'll be neighbors :giggle:

All of the apartments right near the school are around the same price, plus or minus ~$100. Echolake had the best layout and look to it so I chose that one!

Make sure to ask about LECOM discounts too!

Awwwhh awesome! We'll be neighbors :giggle:

All of the apartments right near the school are around the same price, plus or minus ~$100. Echolake had the best layout and look to it so I chose that one!

Make sure to ask about LECOM discounts too!

Yes I did! I did this a few months back. The rates were a little less then but not that much. Glad to have another Echo LECOM classmates!

• Love
For those who've bought health insurance individually through the Marketplace, have you been able to opt out of the school's health insurance?

For those who've bought health insurance individually through the Marketplace, have you been able to opt out of the school's health insurance?

The pamphlet said only if you are on your parents or if you get it from your spouse I think?

I am wondering this too though because I wonder if it is cheaper through the Marketplace?

The pamphlet said only if you are on your parents or if you get it from your spouse I think?

I am wondering this too though because I wonder if it is cheaper through the Marketplace?

Yup, it doesn’t allow exceptions for individuals plans bought on the exchange. I worked part time and because of the federal subsidy , I pay almost nothing for a plan that’s much better than the one offered at the school. I’m gonna try to call and ask someone at the office, hopefully they pick up.

@TarpolianDynamite Can you share some info on your MMS study schedule and the amount of hours needed to succeed in the program? Are there any tips you could share? Which courses require the most effort?

Yup, it doesn’t allow exceptions for individuals plans bought on the exchange. I worked part time and because of the federal subsidy , I pay almost nothing for a plan that’s much better than the one offered at the school. I’m gonna try to call and ask someone at the office, hopefully they pick up.
I am going to private message you! I have a question about this!

Status
Not open for further replies.