LECOM Bradenton MMS Program 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@TarpolianDynamite Can you share some info on your MMS study schedule and the amount of hours needed to succeed in the program? Are there any tips you could share? Which courses require the most effort?
Sorry for the delayed response, summertime, Florida, margaritas, and stuff. I was looking at the responses a few of my classmates posted on the facebook page and they all gave some pretty solid advice. I'm going to give my take on what I think you need to do overall. I am assuming some classes are changing but I will hit on the big ones that won't change.

A lot of the things that you asked for are subjective and dependant on you as a student so I am going to give some background about me:
I had a sub 3.0 cGPA and around a 3.0 sGPA. I took the MCAT twice, once for a 492 (day after my 21st was a horrible experience 0/10) and the second time for a 500. I worked full time to support my family and myself through undergrad. Graduated in December 2016 and worked as an MA for a year where I met a doc that really helped me get into the MMS program. Originally I was rejected but a few emails and phone calls later I ended up getting in. I came into the program thinking that I didn't deserve to be there and I was ready to work to prove to everyone that I did belong and to myself that I am more than what my undergrad GPA said I was. I fought for my grades in every class and put a lot of time into making sure I studied efficiently and not just for long hours. I finished with a 3.58 in the entire program.

My biggest and most important point I want to make is that there are 2 things that will determine how you do in this program:
1) Your ability to develop good study habits fast. Summer is hard but is the most rewarding the classes are manageable and you can dedicate copious hours to each course without falling behind in one or the other. Set yourself up here and continue to use the habits you form in the fall.
2) Your attitude. I might sound mean here and I am sorry if I piss anyone off but the fact of the matter is, none of you got into medical/dental school and you are here to prove that you deserve the spot. You cannot see this program as a quick ten months of busy work with a nice way into school, you MUST approach it like you have to prove to everyone that you can thrive and make this environment a cake walk. The people that didn't get in are the people who talked about how they could get into another school so easily and would say things like "I didn't study that part but I doubt we even have to worry about it. Do you really think they will turn us away after all this that we have had to do?" (yes, yes they will).

I'm going to break things up by semester now. Background knowledge in any of the classes is nice but not necessary. All information provided to you will be sufficient for the class and probably recommended that you only use class information.

Summer: Study habits: 3-5 hours of review on weekdays. Re-reading and typing outlines 7am-1pm on weekends.

CMB: Dr. G is super cool. I loved his lecture style and the way that he breaks down his lectures. Powerpoints are all you will need. Study for mechanisms and understanding the big picture. He likes to ask questions that will challenge how well you know the material and the purpose and function of the cell performs.
Biochem 1: Powerpoints, used the book to clarify, and flashcards. Dr. B is super nice and very approachable. His questions are straight from his powerpoints and review slides that he posts. Questions are standard memory recall with a little bit of applied reasoning.
PHPM: Group essays due every week and take home tests. If you struggle here idk what to tell you.

Fall: The class load here increases and you will find it hard to dedicate the same amount of studying every day. My S/O works full time so I tried to finish studying before they got home so I could relax with them. This is why for me, being efficient when studying helped me make the most of my shortened time spent studying.

Pharm: This was my worst class. Straight memory recall and flashcards. I tried to spend too much time looking at signs and symptoms and not enough of understanding the class of drug and why this one is important in that class. The rotating professors kinda sucks but they are all super nice and you can always email them.
Phys: This is a heavy class. Rotating professors with lots of different teaching and question styles. If you are medical, these are the people that will interview you for medical school. Don't be a jerk, show up to class, and put a face to a name politely. Most of the teachers are pretty cool with some of them having a very dry sense of humor. Study the powerpoints and clarify with the book.
Biochem 2: Dr. Brown is Dr. G's wife and she is the nicest person you will ever meet. She seems a little lost when lecturing but all of her power points are correct. I hate to say I never paid attention in lecture but I would study her lecture slides and I did well on the tests. Her material is very important and will be the subject of many PBL cases. Get used to reading the biochem book.
PBL 1: Every group has a different facilitator but we all take the same tests and learn the same cases. Tests were usually on Fridays if I remember correctly. I would spend M-W reading on my own and coming up with my own notes and then meeting up with 2-3 friends to quickly work through the cases on Wednesday night. Different facilitators will touch on different important points so it helps to see your friends perspectives. Then I would review on my own all day Thursday.
Histology: Can be hard. I enjoyed it though. Spend some extra time on weekends looking at the website and the slides that they recommend. Email your professors with questions they always helped me out. Review powerpoints are a GOD SEND.

Interview: Very lax, just be happy and pleasant. The group interview is set up like PBL. I recommend having a different opinion than your peers once or twice. They want to see if you get offended or defensive when challenged or someone thinks you're wrong.

Spring: Literally flew by. My worst semester but I was already accepted so I think I got pretty comfortable.

Micro: Tables and charts probably would work best. I tried to type out my own lectures on the material and that got to be too much and I had to stop and just review and flash card myself. Made a B by the skin on my teeth.
PBL 2: Now the class is 4 credits and they expect you to pick up the pace. Totally manageable same advice from PBL 1 applies here. Made an A.
Immunology: I relied on the book for this class. Powerpoints were nice but the book saved my life. The class is fast with a couple of quizzes and 2 exams everything is weighted really heavy. Made a B here.
Genetics: Dr. G teaches this class. Whatever you did for CMB will work here. Made an A in this class.
Anatomy: No more physiology just straight structure and function. Flashcards and memorization work here. Skip the book, for the most part, it will help sometimes but I barely used it. Maybe that's why I made a B?

All in all the program is on you to find the time to dedicate the appropriate amount of studying in your preferred style. I can't recommend one way to study over another but I can tell you that the people that made it are the ones that didn't stop when they thought they were done. Most of my time was spent studying they next test ahead. After summer I found it hard to dedicate more time to any class that wasn't being tested on that week. If you can manage to study multiple subjects every week you will do great.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Sorry for the delayed response, summertime, Florida, margaritas, and stuff. I was looking at the responses a few of my classmates posted on the facebook page and they all gave some pretty solid advice. I'm going to give my take on what I think you need to do overall. I am assuming some classes are changing but I will hit on the big ones that won't change.

A lot of the things that you asked for are subjective and dependant on you as a student so I am going to give some background about me:
I had a sub 3.0 cGPA and around a 3.0 sGPA. I took the MCAT twice, once for a 492 (day after my 21st was a horrible experience 0/10) and the second time for a 500. I worked full time to support my family and myself through undergrad. Graduated in December 2016 and worked as an MA for a year where I met a doc that really helped me get into the MMS program. Originally I was rejected but a few emails and phone calls later I ended up getting in. I came into the program thinking that I didn't deserve to be there and I was ready to work to prove to everyone that I did belong and to myself that I am more than what my undergrad GPA said I was. I fought for my grades in every class and put a lot of time into making sure I studied efficiently and not just for long hours. I finished with a 3.58 in the entire program.

My biggest and most important point I want to make is that there are 2 things that will determine how you do in this program:
1) Your ability to develop good study habits fast. Summer is hard but is the most rewarding the classes are manageable and you can dedicate copious hours to each course without falling behind in one or the other. Set yourself up here and continue to use the habits you form in the fall.
2) Your attitude. I might sound mean here and I am sorry if I piss anyone off but the fact of the matter is, none of you got into medical/dental school and you are here to prove that you deserve the spot. You cannot see this program as a quick ten months of busy work with a nice way into school, you MUST approach it like you have to prove to everyone that you can thrive and make this environment a cake walk. The people that didn't get in are the people who talked about how they could get into another school so easily and would say things like "I didn't study that part but I doubt we even have to worry about it. Do you really think they will turn us away after all this that we have had to do?" (yes, yes they will).

I'm going to break things up by semester now. Background knowledge in any of the classes is nice but not necessary. All information provided to you will be sufficient for the class and probably recommended that you only use class information.

Summer: Study habits: 3-5 hours of review on weekdays. Re-reading and typing outlines 7am-1pm on weekends.

CMB: Dr. G is super cool. I loved his lecture style and the way that he breaks down his lectures. Powerpoints are all you will need. Study for mechanisms and understanding the big picture. He likes to ask questions that will challenge how well you know the material and the purpose and function of the cell performs.
Biochem 1: Powerpoints, used the book to clarify, and flashcards. Dr. B is super nice and very approachable. His questions are straight from his powerpoints and review slides that he posts. Questions are standard memory recall with a little bit of applied reasoning.
PHPM: Group essays due every week and take home tests. If you struggle here idk what to tell you.

Fall: The class load here increases and you will find it hard to dedicate the same amount of studying every day. My S/O works full time so I tried to finish studying before they got home so I could relax with them. This is why for me, being efficient when studying helped me make the most of my shortened time spent studying.

Pharm: This was my worst class. Straight memory recall and flashcards. I tried to spend too much time looking at signs and symptoms and not enough of understanding the class of drug and why this one is important in that class. The rotating professors kinda sucks but they are all super nice and you can always email them.
Phys: This is a heavy class. Rotating professors with lots of different teaching and question styles. If you are medical, these are the people that will interview you for medical school. Don't be a jerk, show up to class, and put a face to a name politely. Most of the teachers are pretty cool with some of them having a very dry sense of humor. Study the powerpoints and clarify with the book.
Biochem 2: Dr. Brown is Dr. G's wife and she is the nicest person you will ever meet. She seems a little lost when lecturing but all of her power points are correct. I hate to say I never paid attention in lecture but I would study her lecture slides and I did well on the tests. Her material is very important and will be the subject of many PBL cases. Get used to reading the biochem book.
PBL 1: Every group has a different facilitator but we all take the same tests and learn the same cases. Tests were usually on Fridays if I remember correctly. I would spend M-W reading on my own and coming up with my own notes and then meeting up with 2-3 friends to quickly work through the cases on Wednesday night. Different facilitators will touch on different important points so it helps to see your friends perspectives. Then I would review on my own all day Thursday.
Histology: Can be hard. I enjoyed it though. Spend some extra time on weekends looking at the website and the slides that they recommend. Email your professors with questions they always helped me out. Review powerpoints are a GOD SEND.

Interview: Very lax, just be happy and pleasant. The group interview is set up like PBL. I recommend having a different opinion than your peers once or twice. They want to see if you get offended or defensive when challenged or someone thinks you're wrong.

Spring: Literally flew by. My worst semester but I was already accepted so I think I got pretty comfortable.

Micro: Tables and charts probably would work best. I tried to type out my own lectures on the material and that got to be too much and I had to stop and just review and flash card myself. Made a B by the skin on my teeth.
PBL 2: Now the class is 4 credits and they expect you to pick up the pace. Totally manageable same advice from PBL 1 applies here. Made an A.
Immunology: I relied on the book for this class. Powerpoints were nice but the book saved my life. The class is fast with a couple of quizzes and 2 exams everything is weighted really heavy. Made a B here.
Genetics: Dr. G teaches this class. Whatever you did for CMB will work here. Made an A in this class.
Anatomy: No more physiology just straight structure and function. Flashcards and memorization work here. Skip the book, for the most part, it will help sometimes but I barely used it. Maybe that's why I made a B?

All in all the program is on you to find the time to dedicate the appropriate amount of studying in your preferred style. I can't recommend one way to study over another but I can tell you that the people that made it are the ones that didn't stop when they thought they were done. Most of my time was spent studying they next test ahead. After summer I found it hard to dedicate more time to any class that wasn't being tested on that week. If you can manage to study multiple subjects every week you will do great.

Hope this helps!

WOW... Thank you so very much. This is so helpful! You are wonderful!!! Congratulations to you!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much!! And congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Hope this helps!

Wow, thank you so much! You mentioned that you've graduated with a 3.58. Was you fall and summer gpa much higher? Were there people who got waitlisted or rejected with a 3.5 or higher combined fall and summer gpa?

Wow, thank you so much! You mentioned that you've graduated with a 3.58. Was you fall and summer gpa much higher? Were there people who got waitlisted or rejected with a 3.5 or higher combined fall and summer gpa?

Hi! I’m not @TarpolianDynamite but was in the MMS program with them. I doubt anyone got waitlisted for med with a 3.5.... I can think of someone who had a very high gpa (3.8ish) and were flat out rejected but they never came to class and had issues with faculty. Pretty much anyone with a gpa greater than 3.3 got into med and anyone with a 3.0 or better got into dental (they ended up accepting all but 2 prospective dental and they just didn’t meet the gpa requirement).

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I’m not @TarpolianDynamite but was in the MMS program with them. I doubt anyone got waitlisted for med with a 3.5.... I can think of someone who had a very high gpa (3.8ish) and were flat out rejected but they never came to class and had issues with faculty. Pretty much anyone with a gpa greater than 3.3 got into med and anyone with a 3.0 or better got into dental (they ended up accepting all but 2 prospective dental and they just didn’t meet the gpa requirement).

Thats good to hear, I'm super nervous because this is my only option and i want sure im making the right choice by committing to this program.

Reactions: 2 users
@molar_express I would love to hear your inputs too on the program, if you dont mind. Like your study schedule, tip, tricks, and any advice, specific or general, you could give to future students.

• Love
I had a 3.7 going into my interview. My two B’s in the fall were in pharm and physio. Most people who had at or above 3.5 at the interview were accepted and those that were waitlisted and brought it up were accepted later. If your gpa fell below a 3.3 after being accepted, you failed to meet the condition of your acceptance and it was taken away.

@molar_express I would love to hear your inputs too on the program, if you dont mind. Like your study schedule, tip, tricks, and any advice, specific or general, you could give to future students.

Sure! @TarpolianDynamite pretty much said it all but I’ll give my 2 cents.

I had a 2.9 undergrad gpa and an 18 DAT. I knew that this program was my only opportunity to prove that I could handle professional/dental school. I didn’t have the study skills established coming from undergrad so I had to work REALLY hard to develop them.

I’m the type of person that needs to put in a LOT of time into a subject to really get it. My summer schedule was 7am-6pm on campus every day. If I wasn’t in class, I was in the cafeteria or library rewriting my notes and reading the textbooks. I also hand-wrote my notes during lecture but eventually had to switch to typing in fall and spring because I didn’t always have time to completely rewrite my notes (my handwriting is trash anyway). Everyone will develop their own study habits and what works best for them, but I knew I had to put in hella time to make an A. And I did... I didn’t make anything lower than an A on anything until maybe the 2nd month of fall semester when I made my first B on a Pharmacology exam. I’ll be the first to tell you, I’m not one of the smart kids and never have been - but I worked my butt off and the test scores generally reflected that.

With that being said, get A’s in the summer. You will have a lot more time to put into both subjects compared to fall and spring. It will be so much easier and a lot less stressful going into fall understanding that yes, you can make a B and it won’t hurt your chances of getting accepted. My friends that only made B’s in summer or B’s and C’s were so much more stressed in the fall when the pace really picked up. That being said, those friends were ultimately pulled their grades up and were accepted into their respective programs (one was waitlisted until a week after classes ended). It is possible to still get an acceptance if you don’t make straight As over summer, but it’s super important that you try to do so.

Fall and spring were each difficult in their own way. Some professors are easier than others. You’ll have to get used to changing your study habits based on who is lecturing for a certain exam. Sometimes you can get away with memorizing the slides and regurgitating the info on the exam and others you’ll really need to have a solid grasp on the processes and mechanisms to do well (looking at you Dr. Gnarra). The pace is insane sometimes and can be difficult to keep up. Try to make time to at least review your notes for every class by the end of the week. There will be times when you have an exam every week and don’t have time, but *try* to not fall behind if you can help it. There were definitely times where I could only think about the exam coming up and nothing else, and that happens. If we made it through, so will you.

Get a good support group early on. Do self study but find a friend or 2 or 3 that you can get together with the weekend before the exam to review with and ask each other questions. This might sound cheesy but my friends and I would get a PBL room the weekend before and go through the powerpoints slide by slide, reading them to each other out loud. Then one of us would close our laptop and get quizzed by the others. We would make ourselves rewrite reactions or pathways on the whiteboards from memory and talk through each step and how it works ad nauseum. It was tedious af but was often the difference between a A or B for me. Don’t rely on a group to teach you, make sure you have self studied and are prepared to contribute to the group. The group is meant to reinforce what you’ve already studied.

The professors are generally approachable and helpful. Ask questions during the breaks (lectures were 3 hours over summer, 1.5-2 in fall/spring) or after class. Some professors like Dr. Gnarra are excellent about answering questions during lecture and he has emailed me back at all hours of the night. Truly an amazing guy. He’ll be the best professor (and program director) you have in the MMS program. Dr. Brown is is wife. Super nice lady but I couldn’t stand to listen to her lecture. I just sat in the back and read the biochem textbook pdf on my computer or studied the slides on my own. I made A’s in both biochem classes, mostly by reading the textbook. It’s a good one. You’ll need it so get it and read it like crazy.

Grades breakdown:

Summer - 4.0 —> Biochem, CMB and Public Health - all 3 credits
Fall - 3.7 —> A’s Physiology (4credits) & Biochem 2 (3credits), B’s Histology (2 credits), Pharmacology (3 credits), PBL (2credits)
Spring - 3.5 —> A’s Genetics (2 credits) & Microbiology (4 credits), B’s Anatomy (3 credits), Immunology (2 credits) and PBL (3 credits)

I made a lot of Bs but still more than met the conditional for dental (and med). If I can do it, I 100% believe any of you can as well. My last piece of advice: be friendly, supportive and respectful of your classmates. You’re all in the same boat and are NOT competing against each other. They have a seat for everyone, theoretically. GPA is by far the largest determining factor in you being accepted. If you go into the interview with a good gpa, you will be accepted as long as you’re not a jerk during the interview. This program is a 10month long interview so come to class every day and on time, dressed appropriately. Be courteous and respectful to your professors and you’ll have nothing to worry about.

Good luck to all of you! I hope each and every one of you get into your professional program of choice. You’re on the right path.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

I had a 2.9 undergrad gpa and an 18 DAT. I knew that this program was my only opportunity to prove that I could handle professional/dental school. I didn’t have the study skills established coming from undergrad so I had to work REALLY hard to develop them.

I’m the type of person that needs to put in a LOT of time into a subject to really get it. My summer schedule was 7am-6pm on campus every day. If I wasn’t in class, I was in the cafeteria or library rewriting my notes and reading the textbooks. I also hand-wrote my notes during lecture but eventually had to switch to typing in fall and spring because I didn’t always have time to completely rewrite my notes (my handwriting is trash anyway). Everyone will develop their own study habits and what works best for them, but I knew I had to put in hella time to make an A. And I did... I didn’t make anything lower than an A on anything until maybe the 2nd month of fall semester when I made my first B on a Pharmacology exam. I’ll be the first to tell you, I’m not one of the smart kids and never have been - but I worked my butt off and the test scores generally reflected that.

With that being said, get A’s in the summer. You will have a lot more time to put into both subjects compared to fall and spring. It will be so much easier and a lot less stressful going into fall understanding that yes, you can make a B and it won’t hurt your chances of getting accepted. My friends that only made B’s in summer or B’s and C’s were so much more stressed in the fall when the pace really picked up. That being said, those friends were ultimately pulled their grades up and were accepted into their respective programs (one was waitlisted until a week after classes ended). It is possible to still get an acceptance if you don’t make straight As over summer, but it’s super important that you try to do so.

Fall and spring were each difficult in their own way. Some professors are easier than others. You’ll have to get used to changing your study habits based on who is lecturing for a certain exam. Sometimes you can get away with memorizing the slides and regurgitating the info on the exam and others you’ll really need to have a solid grasp on the processes and mechanisms to do well (looking at you Dr. Gnarra). The pace is insane sometimes and can be difficult to keep up. Try to make time to at least review your notes for every class by the end of the week. There will be times when you have an exam every week and don’t have time, but *try* to not fall behind if you can help it. There were definitely times where I could only think about the exam coming up and nothing else, and that happens. If we made it through, so will you.

Get a good support group early on. Do self study but find a friend or 2 or 3 that you can get together with the weekend before the exam to review with and ask each other questions. This might sound cheesy but my friends and I would get a PBL room the weekend before and go through the powerpoints slide by slide, reading them to each other out loud. Then one of us would close our laptop and get quizzed by the others. We would make ourselves rewrite reactions or pathways on the whiteboards from memory and talk through each step and how it works ad nauseum. It was tedious af but was often the difference between a A or B for me. Don’t rely on a group to teach you, make sure you have self studied and are prepared to contribute to the group. The group is meant to reinforce what you’ve already studied.

The professors are generally approachable and helpful. Ask questions during the breaks (lectures were 3 hours over summer, 1.5-2 in fall/spring) or after class. Some professors like Dr. Gnarra are excellent about answering questions during lecture and he has emailed me back at all hours of the night. Truly an amazing guy. He’ll be the best professor (and program director) you have in the MMS program. Dr. Brown is is wife. Super nice lady but I couldn’t stand to listen to her lecture. I just sat in the back and read the biochem textbook pdf on my computer or studied the slides on my own. I made A’s in both biochem classes, mostly by reading the textbook. It’s a good one. You’ll need it so get it and read it like crazy.

Grades breakdown:

Fall - 3.7 —> A’s Physiology (4credits) & Biochem 2 (3credits), B’s Histology (2 credits), Pharmacology (3 credits), PBL (2credits)
Spring - 3.5 —> A’s Genetics (2 credits) & Microbiology (4 credits), B’s Anatomy (3 credits), Immunology (2 credits) and PBL (3 credits)

I made a lot of Bs but still more than met the conditional for dental (and med). If I can do it, I 100% believe any of you can as well. My last piece of advice: be friendly, supportive and respectful of your classmates. You’re all in the same boat and are NOT competing against each other. They have a seat for everyone, theoretically. GPA is by far the largest determining factor in you being accepted. If you go into the interview with a good gpa, you will be accepted as long as you’re not a jerk during the interview. This program is a 10month long interview so come to class every day and on time, dressed appropriately. Be courteous and respectful to your professors and you’ll have nothing to worry about.

Good luck to all of you! I hope each and every one of you get into your professional program of choice. You’re on the right path.

Thank you so so much. You guys are awesome for giving us all of this advice! I wish you the best of luck :)

Grades breakdown:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out! Congratulations and best of luck for everything! :)

Does anyone know the chapters that are going to be covered in the summer term for Biochemistry and Cell/Molec? We just got the schedule today and our first exam is week after orientation. I wanted to make sure I got some reading in beforehand.

• Love

Hope this helps!
hi, stay i started at the erie campus in aug 2019, if i do well, can i get into med school 2020? or would it be the 2021 cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, stay i started at the erie campus in aug 2019, if i do well, can i get into med school 2020? or would it be the 2021 cycle?
it would be 2020, there is a different forum for Erie MMS, this is the bradenton one

Does anyone know the chapters that are going to be covered in the summer term for Biochemistry and Cell/Molec? We just got the schedule today and our first exam is week after orientation. I wanted to make sure I got some reading in beforehand.

I would like to get some early studying in too!!! That exam is so soon!

I would like to get some early studying in too!!! That exam is so soon!
You won’t need to study that far in advance. It comes up quick but you will have like only 3 lectures of material on that test. Biochem will cover 6 lectures per test. Easily manageable studying the material the day it’s presented. Don’t burn yourself out. You need to maintain a solid study habit the entire time if you come in too ambitious you’re going to shoot yourself in the foot. Deep breaths and enjoy the last bit of summer that you have!

• Love
You won’t need to study that far in advance. It comes up quick but you will have like only 3 lectures of material on that test. Biochem will cover 6 lectures per test. Easily manageable studying the material the day it’s presented. Don’t burn yourself out. You need to maintain a solid study habit the entire time if you come in too ambitious you’re going to shoot yourself in the foot. Deep breaths and enjoy the last bit of summer that you have!

Thank you! I think I needed to hear that lol

Same, lmk if you find an answer :)

Super thrilled to have been accepted to the MMS program this morning but am starting to freak out because it starts so soon. I live in Virginia and I have no idea how I am going to move down to Florida so quickly, so any advice would be appreciated! Are any females looking for roommates or does anyone suggest apartment complexes I can contact in the area? Again, any advice would be appreciated!

Super thrilled to have been accepted to the MMS program this morning but am starting to freak out because it starts so soon. I live in Virginia and I have no idea how I am going to move down to Florida so quickly, so any advice would be appreciated! Are any females looking for roommates or does anyone suggest apartment complexes I can contact in the area? Again, any advice would be appreciated!

I highly recommend Echo Lake apartments! I went to tour all of the apartments in the area, and it was the best in my opinion.

The apartments in the area are all super expensive, so keep that in mind. You can join our Facebook group and we also just made a group me; you can find that all on the Facebook page!

I hope everything goes smoothly for you! Florida, and the Lakewood Ranch area specifically, are beautiful, you'll love it!

Has anyone recently gotten any news about the decision made on their application? My application has been under review for over 2wks now

Other apartments in the area to consider would be Ranch Lake, Lost Creek, & Creekside Ranch!

Were you able to get a 10 month lease on any of these places? Or did you opt for a 12 month?

I am so excited to have been admitted to the MMS program this last Friday! But also definitely freaking out over the amount of time I have to get everything in order. I am driving my security deposit, signed acceptance form and matriculation form to the office on Wednesday of this week but until then I am wondering if their is anything I can get a head start on before they send me more information/instructions (can I move forward with any of my financial aid info, medical tests, etc. or do I need to wait until after they receive my acceptance and deposit)?

M
I am so excited to have been admitted to the MMS program this last Friday! But also definitely freaking out over the amount of time I have to get everything in order. I am driving my security deposit, signed acceptance form and matriculation form to the office on Wednesday of this week but until then I am wondering if their is anything I can get a head start on before they send me more information/instructions (can I move forward with any of my financial aid info, medical tests, etc. or do I need to wait until after they receive my acceptance and deposit)?
Maybe you could start on your TB test? And start getting your vaccine records in order as well as make an appointment with your PCP. I think that would help move things faster for you!

I attached the health/immunization part of the matriculation form because I think its the same for everyone. I didn't attach the background check part because the login codes may be unique to everyone.

Basically you need 2 doctors visits. In the first one get him to write a prescription for the following titers:
  • MMR IgG
  • Varicella IgG
  • Hep B Surface AB
    • I would strongly recommend your doctor to write "quantitative" titers instead of "qualitative" titers. Quantitative titers measure the amount of immunity you have whereas qualitative titers just say if you are immune or not. So if you are borderline immune, you can opt for getting a booster shot instead of the entire series of vaccines.
    • Also make sure your doctors clearly writes out IgG titers, because thats the one the school needs. My doctor's handwriting was terrible and the person on the lab had to call my doctor to confirm because it looked like IgC and not IgG. And my doc didnt pick up so I had to come back another day.
  • 2 Step PPD or IGRA test
    • Strongly recommend that you get the IGRA test because you can get it along with the rest of your lab work. And if you got the TB vaccine, your PPD comes out positive and then you'd have to get the IGRA test regardless.
    • Also if you do get the IGRA, make sure your doctor writes out QuantiFERON-TB Gold on the prescription because "IGRA" is like a shortened name for it and it doesn't show up on labcorp's computers. And I had to argue with them and force them to call their boss.
On your second visit
  • Your doc needs to fill out the physical and lab forms.
  • And if you have any titers that came out negative, you can get the vaccines.
I made the mistake of making only one doctor appointment, so I had to wait like 2 weeks for the next one because he decided to go on vacation lol. Lab results come back in 1-3 days, so make sure you book two appointments, with the second one like 4 days out.
Thank you! That document helps a lot!

Just got accepted today and I am trying to get everything together as quickly as I can. Fortunately I am in Florida so not too terrible of a drive! If you would be able to add me to the groupme or facebook group that would be great!

Today my application changed from under review to a decision has been made. I have to let my other school know if I want to attend their program by June 29th, so I'm anxiously awaiting the letter... Not sure if I could call and get the decision bcI'm out of the country right now. Also anyone know if there is a drug screening required for this program in addition to a background check? Just trying to plan my next week, because I'm moving by car from NorCal to FL.

Today my application changed from under review to a decision has been made. I have to let my other school know if I want to attend their program by June 29th, so I'm anxiously awaiting the letter... Not sure if I could call and get the decision bcI'm out of the country right now. Also anyone know if there is a drug screening required for this program in addition to a background check? Just trying to plan my next week, because I'm moving by car from NorCal to FL.
Yes they require a urine drug screening

Anyone know if the AIS score is limited to your undergrad GPA or could they use a different GPA? Asking for a friend

Does anyone know if the school health insurance also covers vision and dental? I thought it did but I saw something on the portal that makes me think it doesn't and now I am confused?

Does anyone know if the school health insurance also covers vision and dental? I thought it did but I saw something on the portal that makes me think it doesn't and now I am confused?
I think it is not covered but is optional

Also, what is a official degree bearing transcript ? Is it not just your regular transcripts? I sent these a while ago but now Kandyse is telling me i didnt?

Also, what is a official degree bearing transcript ? Is it not just your regular transcripts? I sent these a while ago but now Kandyse is telling me i didnt?
Official means it has to come from your undergraduate school in an official sealed envelope, etc. Usually a small fee is associated with sending official transcripts

Official means it has to come from your undergraduate school in an official sealed envelope, etc. Usually a small fee is associated with sending official transcripts
Yeah i figured, thats what I had sent in already. Guess ill just send another one. Thanks for the reply!

Does anyone know if all pre reqs need to be complete by application or just matriculation??

The professors at orientation said that the average MMS gpa for DO acceptance was 3.67. Was this the “before interview” gpa or the graduation gpa?

The professors at orientation said that the average MMS gpa for DO acceptance was 3.67. Was this the “before interview” gpa or the graduation gpa?
I would say before interview but I’ve heard from past students that all you really need is a 3.4

@molar_express @TarpolianDynamite For Biochem1 and CMB, only the information on the powerpoints are tested right?
Primarily, yeah. The textbook reading just helps to reinforce the lecture material. Everyone studies/learns differently. Some classes I needed to book to do well (biochem) and others I didn’t need it at all (genetics).

@molar_express @TarpolianDynamite Biochem1 and CMB aren’t curved right? Our first CMB is out of 40 points. Did a lot of people in your class get perfect or near perfect scores on it?
No clue how well other people did. We didn’t really go around with our scores tattooed on our foreheads. Lol

I know it’s stressful but you literally have every tool in front of you to get an A on every test. Just use your time efficiently.

No clue how well other people did. We didn’t really go around with our scores tattooed on our foreheads. Lol

I know it’s stressful but you literally have every tool in front of you to get an A on every test. Just use your time efficiently.

Just got our first exam grades for cell bio. Class average was an 80 and the standard deviation was a 5. This seems really cutthroat because 90 is requirement for an A and probably less than 7 people got it. Does Dr.Gnarra curve at all or do we all just have to step up our game ?

Just got our first exam grades for cell bio. Class average was an 80 and the standard deviation was a 5. This seems really cutthroat because 90 is requirement for an A and probably less than 7 people got it. Does Dr.Gnarra curve at all or do we all just have to step up our game ?
No curve. Step up or shut up. You’re fighting for a spot at the med/dental school now. If you can’t excel here they won’t think you can handle a heavier work load. Other classes will curve tests eventually so just get through this. Our first exam was rough too but they get better*
*we studied better

Status
Not open for further replies.