LECOM (Elmira) vs. KCU (Joplin) vs COMP-Northwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdizzle23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just looking to see if anyone has some thoughts on my current 3 acceptances. I am someone who is looking to match into a competitive specialty as of now (ortho, general surgery, ENT, gas), so finding opportunities to do research and find mentors is important to me. Location is not a big factor, just somewhere that can put me in the best position to succeed. Thanks.

LECOM Pros:
Tuition ($$$), PBL curriculum, well-established, good matches historically, affiliated ortho residency.

LECOM Cons:
Newer location (has not graduated a class yet), graded curriculum, less research ops, dress code/water (I get very thirsty), farthest location out of the 3.

KCU Pros
Most established, great matches, p/f (internal ranking), affiliated residencies (1 ortho, 2 GS, 1 ENT), actually enjoyed visiting Joplin (I know), sweet facility.

KCU Cons
Farther away, less research ops, tornados (scary), least familiar with the region.

COMP Pros
Also well established, decent matches, best research ops (IMO), closest location (PNW), loved the student culture here-small cohort.

COMP Cons
Graded curriculum, no affiliated residencies, highest tuition, and not my favorite visit.

Members don't see this ad.