LECOM - Erie Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swamprat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting up the new season 09-10. Anyone finish the secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Still working on the second essay. I wonder why they are asking us what our plans are beyond residency. I was under the impression that most med students change their mind several times before deciding what type of doctor they want to be. I have an idea of what I want to do though, however I do know that a good number of applicants don't know for sure yet. Maybe they are just curious to see if our plans match the goals of the school?

Damn, secondaries are out? Still not verified yet. sigh... You guys are so lucky!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been contacted about an interview yet?

When I enter my schools to apply on the AACOMAS it has erie/seton hill as one option. I thought these were two separate schools to apply to, can anyone enlighten me why AACOMAS has it setup this way?

When I enter my schools to apply on the AACOMAS it has erie/seton hill as one option. I thought these were two separate schools to apply to, can anyone enlighten me why AACOMAS has it setup this way?

Yeah you apply to both for the price of 1. On the secondary they ask you your preference. lecom-b is separate and the secondary is another fee although i think they are the same essay questions.

Starting up the new season 09-10. Anyone finish the secondary yet?

Finished and submitted last Friday (26th). Will not be complete until my pre-health adviser uploads my LOR's and committee letter.

Finished and submitted last Friday (26th). Will not be complete until my pre-health adviser uploads my LOR's and committee letter.

I'm in the same boat! I submitted primaries two weeks ago, Ill let you all know how long it takes to hear back.

Hey guys,

I was wondering what type of length they were looking for with these two essay prompts? I'm assuming about a page a piece, probably as long as the personal statement.

Just curious to know..

Hey guys,

I was wondering what type of length they were looking for with these two essay prompts? I'm assuming about a page a piece, probably as long as the personal statement.

Just curious to know..

If I recall correctly, Bradenton's supplemental application specifically noted that "[a]s a general guideline, you should try to keep your answers to one page of text."

my application status says, "[y]our application is under review."

Bradenton is still processing..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks EckXXX!

I just read that same statment on the Bradenton and Erie app..should've looked more carefully at it :p.

Congrats on getting ur apps in for both schools and good luck!

Thanks EckXXX!

I just read that same statment on the Bradenton and Erie app..should've looked more carefully at it :p.

Congrats on getting ur apps in for both schools and good luck!

Thanks and same to you, too.

A few people have received invites from the Bradenton campus as of today, anyone hear from Erie?

I got an interview from Bradenton but my Erie application says my file is still under review. I know Erie gets more applications than Bradenton so they may take longer but Bradenton gets a lot too. I think in 2007 they got 2500, and I'm sure 2008 was more. Impressive they have sent out invites so quick.

Still working on the second essay. I wonder why they are asking us what our plans are beyond residency. I was under the impression that most med students change their mind several times before deciding what type of doctor they want to be. I have an idea of what I want to do though, however I do know that a good number of applicants don't know for sure yet. Maybe they are just curious to see if our plans match the goals of the school?

I was wondering the same thing, i have a good idea of what I want to do but I do not nearly have enough knowledge to decide. I am not sure what they expect from this essay question. how detailed did you get on your answer?

Hey guys, I am LECOM Erie grad (2006). Just remember that LECOM's goal is to take over the United States and fulfill their mission of producing as many primary care physicians as possible to fill the immense void in this country. Even if you don't know if you plan to do primary care or have your sights on a specialty, if you can somehow put in your essay something about your love of primary care and be convincing in your interview they tend to snap up those types of students. True, that many students change their mind about what their specialty is going to be over the course of rotations, generally folks have some idea what they are looking for in their career path. Just an FYI. Plus LECOM is very good at processing large volumes of applications so once your paperwork is complete you should have feedback pretty quickly. Good luck to everyone.:xf:

anyone else having trouble inserting your text? how do you save it? it doesn't seem to stay in the box.... when i paste it..

This morning I received a second e-mail saying to complete my secondary application. It gave me my user name and password again like the first time. The weird part is that I have submitted it already and my file is under review. Has anyone had this happen? It makes me nervous that they have my file wrong or something.

This morning I received a second e-mail saying to complete my secondary application. It gave me my user name and password again like the first time. The weird part is that I have submitted it already and my file is under review. Has anyone had this happen? It makes me nervous that they have my file wrong or something.

same thing happened to me. I checked when I got the first email, it was exactly a month ago, so maybe this is just an automated reminder.

Same thing happened to me ... my file is also under review

great....

Could someone please post the secondary prompts? I'm still waiting to be verified and would like to get a head start on some of the essays. Thanks a lot.

Could someone please post the secondary prompts? I'm still waiting to be verified and would like to get a head start on some of the essays. Thanks a lot.

LECOM essay prompts:

1. Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician.

2. How do you envision yourself practicing medicine in the future (beyond residency)?

for the ppl who have submitted secondaries, what does your requirements section look like? Mine says that they have not received any letters of recommendation, but I'm pretty sure my writers sent them in about a week ago. Does it take LECOM a while to update our online profile? Maybe I should call the school.

for the ppl who have submitted secondaries, what does your requirements section look like? Mine says that they have not received any letters of recommendation, but I'm pretty sure my writers sent them in about a week ago. Does it take LECOM a while to update our online profile? Maybe I should call the school.

if your school sent it out a week ago, i suggest giving them more time. wait until the middle of next week before you call. it took lecom about 7 days to say they received my letters.

Mine has said that the same thing for a long while, but my status page was updated after my LOR's were submitted to "file under review."

On another note, my Bradenton file went from "your file will be submitted to the committee for further review " to "you have been invited for an interview," all the while my missing items still said my supplemental application had not been submitted.

I would not worry too much about it.

LECOM-Erie interview August 25th. Boo-ya.

I had August 25th too but I changed it to September 3rd.

Hmm, my e-mail said september 3rd, but I am interviewing at DMU that day

I'm scheduled for the 25th as well. Sweetness :)

just curious, did any of you guys get an invite without having your DO letter in yet?

Nope, My D.O. Letter is in. What kind of deals are people interviewing on 8-25 finding for flights, etc?

Nope, My D.O. Letter is in. What kind of deals are people interviewing on 8-25 finding for flights, etc?

On Priceline I can get a flight from Chicago to Erie, round trip, for $167, even though there are no direct flights. But, checking Mapquest, I can drive to Erie in just under 8 hours from my home. I will probably do that, as the cost in gas round trip is MUCH less than the plane ticket & I wouldnt have to rent a car when I get there.

Anybody have an idea on how long after the interview they tell you if your accepted or not?

Anybody have an idea on how long after the interview they tell you if your accepted or not?

From the older posts it seems that the average for LECOM is 2 weeks.

just curious, did any of you guys get an invite without having your DO letter in yet?

I did, so don't worry about it.

From the older posts it seems that the average for LECOM is 2 weeks.

The portal told me they made a decision on my app after two days. Got the letter a week after an interview. They review applications on wednesdays so try to get a monday app :thumbup:

On Priceline I can get a flight from Chicago to Erie, round trip, for $167, even though there are no direct flights. But, checking Mapquest, I can drive to Erie in just under 8 hours from my home. I will probably do that, as the cost in gas round trip is MUCH less than the plane ticket & I wouldnt have to rent a car when I get there.

Not to mention the torture of airline travel.

On LECOM-Erie's website it says the cost of attendance for school is aroun $53,000, including housing. But how does one go about living on around $11,000 a year for rent, utilities, food, gas, etc? Since you cant borrow over the cost of attendance, that's rough.

On LECOM-Erie's website it says the cost of attendance for school is aroun $53,000, including housing. But how does one go about living on around $11,000 a year for rent, utilities, food, gas, etc? Since you cant borrow over the cost of attendance, that's rough.

That is correct, the cost of attendance is around $53,000. However, you have to look at all of the "other" items on the budget sheet to look at how much you have for the semester. Remember to include room ($7,350), board ($4,500), books and supplies ($3,600), transportation ($3,800), and other ($2,006). Even though books will be expensive, as will diagnostic equipment (otoscope/opthalmoscope, stuff like that), it will not come close to the budgeted amounts (especially with judicious use of ebay, half.com, etc.).

That is correct, the cost of attendance is around $53,000. However, you have to look at all of the "other" items on the budget sheet to look at how much you have for the semester. Remember to include room ($7,350), board ($4,500), books and supplies ($3,600), transportation ($3,800), and other ($2,006). Even though books will be expensive, as will diagnostic equipment (otoscope/opthalmoscope, stuff like that), it will not come close to the budgeted amounts (especially with judicious use of ebay, half.com, etc.).

Dang, sorry. It was pretty late las night I was looking at it!! Budgeting is not a problem anyway, I'm used to it.

After reading through the interview feedback, is there some sort of sample question list Eries goes through? I keep hearing they just go down a list, but where can I find this exact list??

Also, does anybody know if they still use this list, or is it old news?

I have an interview sept 3 and i'm trying to plan travel. Does anyone have an opinion on which is a nicer drive, cleveland to erie or buffalo to erie?

I have an interview sept 3 and i'm trying to plan travel. Does anyone have an opinion on which is a nicer drive, cleveland to erie or buffalo to erie?

I may anger some people here but Ive been to Cleveland & dont think it is a very nice city. I would come from Buffalo, but since I am driving from Chicago I dont have a choice.

Well...they're both about an hour and a half, but buffalo has tolls while cleveland does not. I would just go with whichever is cheaper (but remember tolls).