LECOM Interviw advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_doc1421

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I have an interview for LECOM and want to know how best to prepare for it/any other etiquette advice you got (first interview so pretty nervous)

Also, blazer required or not?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 9 users
Goro's guides are definitely useful and helped me a lot when I was interviewing at schools. I interviewed at Lake Erie last year so I can give you a bit of advice.

LECOM may have changed the format, I had a group interview with 2 faculty interviewers and a batch of interviewees. My tips for the group interview are the following:
1) Be courteous and don't talk over anyone (I can not stress this enough)
2) Make eye contact with the group
3) Try to make the effort to remember the names of your group members
4) If a group member says something that you agree with, piggyback off their answer and help expand it by doing something along the lines with "I really like what (insert group member's name here) and I'd like to add...."
5) My interviewers said that if you don't have anything to say, you don't need to force yourself to say something. Just make sure you participate in a good chunk.

I felt the group interview was LECOM's way of seeing how well interviewees worked and communicated in a team environment.

After the group interview I had an optional interview with 2 faculty and yourself which you can use the time to weave in any information that you want interviewers to know about you.

Finally, SDN has a bank of interview questions that previous interviewees have noticed. Link: Interview Feedback

Use those questions to get an idea of what things LECOM may ask. For answering questions, don't make a script that you will say word-for-word. Just have talking points that you want to bring up. You want to sound natural and be able to adapt rather than a robot that just memorized lines.

Reactions: 4 users
Goro's guides are definitely useful and helped me a lot when I was interviewing at schools. I interviewed at Lake Erie last year so I can give you a bit of advice.

LECOM may have changed the format, I had a group interview with 2 faculty interviewers and a batch of interviewees. My tips for the group interview are the following:
1) Be courteous and don't talk over anyone (I can not stress this enough)
2) Make eye contact with the group
3) Try to make the effort to remember the names of your group members
4) If a group member says something that you agree with, piggyback off their answer and help expand it by doing something along the lines with "I really like what (insert group member's name here) and I'd like to add...."
5) My interviewers said that if you don't have anything to say, you don't need to force yourself to say something. Just make sure you participate in a good chunk.

I felt the group interview was LECOM's way of seeing how well interviewees worked and communicated in a team environment.

After the group interview I had an optional interview with 2 faculty and yourself which you can use the time to weave in any information that you want interviewers to know about you.

Finally, SDN has a bank of interview questions that previous interviewees have noticed. Link: Interview Feedback

Use those questions to get an idea of what things LECOM may ask. For answering questions, don't make a script that you will say word-for-word. Just have talking points that you want to bring up. You want to sound natural and be able to adapt rather than a robot that just memorized lines.
Thanks! That was super helpful! Did you do anything special to prep for it? I found online that 1 interviewer is a PhD science professor and the other is another faculty member (I might be wrong here). Did you get asked anything very specific ie ethical/science questions?

Thanks! That was super helpful! Did you do anything special to prep for it? I found online that 1 interviewer is a PhD science professor and the other is another faculty member (I might be wrong here). Did you get asked anything very specific ie ethical/science questions?

No problem! In terms of prep, I didn't do anything special. I went over my application, look at the question bank, and made sure that I could concisely answer the "Why medicine? Why DO? Why this school?" Make sure to get a good night's sleep beforehand, it helps calms the nerves.

I was asked ethical/scientific questions, but can't remember them off the top of my head. With ethical questions, there often is no right or wrong answer. The important thing is that you are able to present the thinking process behind your stance and also understand/acknowledge different perspectives.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem! In terms of prep, I didn't do anything special. I went over my application, look at the question bank, and made sure that I could concisely answer the "Why medicine? Why DO? Why this school?" Make sure to get a good night's sleep beforehand, it helps calms the nerves.

I was asked ethical/scientific questions, but can't remember them off the top of my head. With ethical questions, there often is no right or wrong answer. The important thing is that you are able to present the thinking process behind your stance and also understand/acknowledge different perspectives.

What do you mean scientific questions?

When did you submit your secondary and how long did it take to get an Interview with ur stats?

Is there an inappropriate color to wear? all i know is not flashy but grey/beige would be fine right?

Grey suits are rejected. Beige are given plane tickets to the Caribbean.

hey guys, I have an interview for LECOM and want to know how best to prepare for it/any other etiquette advice you got (first interview so pretty nervous)

Also, blazer required or not?

thanks!

Don't stress too much. If you have an interview this early, odds are you will have more. Read the links that Goro gave you. Make certain you have good honest answers to "Why medicine?" and "Why DO?" Be polite, humble, and professional.

I think the group interview (at least the way LECOM does it) is low stress, but felt less comfortable than any of my other interviews. I would recommend preparing to opt for the optional interview. Expect an ethical question.

Reactions: 1 user
I did the group interview at LECOM-SH. Very chill and enjoyable. I was surprised how much I liked it.

When did you submit your secondary and how long did it take to get an Interview with ur stats?
Submitted same day I got the email and got an interview 1 week later. MCAT 507; GPA 3.6; sGPA 3.5

Submitted same day I got the email and got an interview 1 week later. MCAT 507; GPA 3.6; sGPA 3.5

Those are my exact stats. Here's to hoping I get an II too!! What was the date when you submitted?

Is there an inappropriate color to wear? all i know is not flashy but grey/beige would be fine right?
Do not wear beige. That is not a conservative color for an interview. Wear a navy, grey/charcoal suit. GOOD LUCK! you got this!

Grey suits are rejected. Beige are given plane tickets to the Caribbean.

Don't stress too much. If you have an interview this early, odds are you will have more. Read the links that Goro gave you. Make certain you have good honest answers to "Why medicine?" and "Why DO?" Be polite, humble, and professional.

I think the group interview (at least the way LECOM does it) is low stress, but felt less comfortable than any of my other interviews. I would recommend preparing to opt for the optional interview. Expect an ethical question.
When do you get to tell them you want to do the optional interview?

They will pass around a sign up sheet during your interview day.

I don't know how it reflects on candidates who opt out, but almost everyone in my interview group signed up for the optional interview.

They will pass around a sign up sheet during your interview day.

I don't know how it reflects on candidates who opt out, but almost everyone in my interview group signed up for the optional interview.

Do you know of any students that were accepted after opting out of the group interview?

But give us a break from Funeral Black.

Reactions: 1 users
I just had an interview there a couple weeks ago. You will have a group interview with about 6-8 people. Make sure not to talk over other people and don't feel the need to take charge of the discussion. Be helpful and offer your input, but I think being too take charge and aggressive will come off as negative just as being too shy to contribute will as well, try to find a happy medium. You will then have an 8 minute interview with two professors. They will ask you questions not related to your application, more hypothetical questions. I would recommend going in relaxed with a big smile on your face. Show them the true you with all your colors. I work in a hospital and often get compliments on how I am so nice and would be such a great doctor. I often reflect upon this and think that I am being myself around all of these patients and if I do the same towards the admissions committee I am certain they will like who they see as well. Just be yourself :)

Reactions: 2 users
I just had an interview there a couple weeks ago. You will have a group interview with about 6-8 people. Make sure not to talk over other people and don't feel the need to take charge of the discussion. Be helpful and offer your input, but I think being too take charge and aggressive will come off as negative just as being too shy to contribute will as well, try to find a happy medium. You will then have an 8 minute interview with two professors. They will ask you questions not related to your application, more hypothetical questions. I would recommend going in relaxed with a big smile on your face. Show them the true you with all your colors. I work in a hospital and often get compliments on how I am so nice and would be such a great doctor. I often reflect upon this and think that I am being myself around all of these patients and if I do the same towards the admissions committee I am certain they will like who they see as well. Just be yourself :)
I hope you get in!

Those are my exact stats. Here's to hoping I get an II too!! What was the date when you submitted?
Hey, I was just wondering if you happen to have gotten and interview at LECOM? Also, if you did what were your extracurricular activities?

Thank you