LECOM Master of Medical Science 2018-2019 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard anything about class schedule? I know they said they would be getting a booklist and schedule out to us by end of April.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything about class schedule? I know they said they would be getting a booklist and schedule out to us by end of April.

Attachments

• IMG_2778.PNG
    IMG_2778.PNG
    134 KB · Views: 164
Thanks for that, I'm talking about actual first semester class schedule. Days of the week, hours, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean on having your file complete or hearing back on an admission decision? I'm wondering if anyone has been accepted/ denied recently, not if the file was marked complete !!
I think it's application verifications.... I'm assuming he wouldn't disclose what the whole decision process timeline is like...

Does anybody know the actual class start date? The website said July but I keep hearing June.

Has anyone gotten this update on their account and then end up getting in? I am a bit worried considering that the deadline is so close
"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file and a decision has not yet been made regarding your application. The Admissions Committee will meet to review your application every 30 days; you will be notified if there is a change in their decision at that time."

Has anyone gotten this update on their account and then end up getting in? I am a bit worried considering that the deadline is so close
"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file and a decision has not yet been made regarding your application. The Admissions Committee will meet to review your application every 30 days; you will be notified if there is a change in their decision at that time."
I got that too I'm not gonna freak myself out though I guess we just wait and see...

How does the guaranteed interview work? If I understand correctly it's only applicable for entering the SOM the following fall term? Does this mean that I need to have an AACOMAS application submitted before applying to this program in order to get an interview (if I meet the gpa reqs of course)?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I just finished the master's program. I would love to answer any questions that you have about it. I personally think it was a great experience and I learned a lot. Please personal-message me if you want to know more about the program, the classes, the interview process, life style here in Bradenton, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted or rejected recently? Wondering how many spots left in the program.... really anxious! Need to leave a tuition deposit soon for MU-COM but waiting for LECOM as it's my top choice ... :(

Mine too! Hopefully it's good news

Rejected.
Best of luck to everyone Waiting.
Ball park stats: 3.0 Biochemistry major, 500 MCAT, 3 years working,2 years research, hundreds of volunteering. Some shadowing. Strong letters of Reference. When I asked why they said gpa was on the low side compared to other applicants. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected.
Ball park stats: 3.0 Biochemistry major, 500 MCAT, 3 years working,2 years research, hundreds of volunteering. Some shadowing. Strong letters of Reference. When I asked why they said gpa was on the low side compared to other applicants. Good luck to everyone!
Did you call them?

Rejected.
How’d you find out so quick???

Rejected.
What did you portal status say?

What did you portal status say?

Portal said: That a decision was made and I would receive a letter. Called Hal and asked, he was aware of my pending tuition for another school so he was able to tell me over the phone.

Rejected.
Yikes, sorry man good luck getting into wherever else you're applying!
My portal status changed really fast too I'm wondering if I should give Hal a call but I'm guessing by the quick turnaround it's not good news :nailbiting:

You have all been warned. You are all COMPLETELY screwed. Even if you obtain your goal of getting an easy pass into your chosen program, I promise you will never regret a year more in your life. Even all of us who got into our programs will never be the same mentally after this program. It was the worst year of my entire life.

Any other option other than this program is recommended. Retake your MCAT, DAT, or PCAT. Work, shadow, and do a post-bacc program. I'm telling you right now you will be back on here one year from now telling me i'm right.

You have all been warned. You are all COMPLETELY screwed. Even if you obtain your goal of getting an easy pass into your chosen program, I promise you will never regret a year more in your life. Even all of us who got into our programs will never be the same mentally after this program. It was the worst year of my entire life.

Are you seriously that miserable that you would make a SDN profile just to talk $hit about a program you probably killed to get into, in an weak attempt to f@#* with our heads?

Reactions: 2 users

That sucks that it has hurt you so much, but having done the program, this really is a great pathway to getting into medical school. Of my friends who also got in, none of them have an overall bad feel for the program either. I think for most of the people who begin this program, this will be a really good second chance for them.

I just completed this step and my drug test is tomorrow. All you have to do is go to the site, make an account, answer the questions, pay the fee and submit. The background check will occur for you. The drug test stuff will be emailed to you within 2 days (mine happened same day). Then you make an appointment online with LabCorp and go do your drug test. Not sure why they test for alcohol, seemed weird to me too. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would show up to a drug test drunk, but I've been surprised once or twice in my life.

they also check for amphetamines benzo so anyone that takes adderrall or xanax

Are you seriously that miserable that you would make a SDN profile just to talk $hit about a program you probably killed to get into, in an weak attempt to f@#* with our heads?
Hey *******, I would not waste my time coming on here to “mess with your heads”. Look at the facts. Over 25% of our class dropped the program. And I didn’t “kill myself” to get in. My MCAT scores were really good and my GPA. This place provides will make you miserable...unless you are a 100% need.

That sucks that it has hurt you so much, but having done the program, this really is a great pathway to getting into medical school. Of my friends who also got in, none of them have an overall bad feel for the program either. I think for most of the people who begin this program, this will be a really good second chance for them.
Yeah well look at this year’s class. I can get into so many specific things that happened here that are unethical and ridiculous. Look at every review out there for LECOM. You have eyeballs.

Yeah well look at this year’s class. I can get into so many specific things that happened here that are unethical and ridiculous. Look at every review out there for LECOM. You have eyeballs.

I'm curious what you think was unethical and ridiculous? At least from LECOMs side of things. I know our fellow classmates pulled some really immature stuff in the fall, and I'm fairly certain cheating was rampant in some groups all year, but I don't think the school did anything unethical itself.

Also, we started with 70 classmates, and finished out with 60 not including the 3 people we added in the Spring. We didn't lose a quarter of our class.

Last edited:
Hey *******, I would not waste my time coming on here to “mess with your heads”. Look at the facts. Over 25% of our class dropped the program. And I didn’t “kill myself” to get in. My MCAT scores were really good and my GPA. This place provides will make you miserable...unless you are a 100% need.

Your scores or GPA obviously weren't "really good" that's pretty much why you were in the program to begin with. You're one of the countless miserable ****ing trolls on SDN.

I can't wait to crush this program and get into med school

Reactions: 1 users
I would like to know what unethical "things" LECOM did. Also, from every review out there, although LECOM is least to be desired, their board scores and residency match list are essentially top 10 in the nation. Go vent off your anger else where.

Has anyone heard anything about WHY they completely revamped the curriculum and pushed the start date back a month?

Has anyone heard anything about WHY they completely revamped the curriculum and pushed the start date back a month?
I dont know why they changed the start date, but I've heard professors who were part of the revamp wanted it done so that the program focused more on the biological sciences. There were feelings that most of our "softer" courses were jokes compared to anatomy, physiology and path. It is a shame in that respect because I think the courses they removed were the easier classes to do well in.

For those of us waiting to hear back, what can we expect once we get our letters? I'm going crazy waiting...

For those of us waiting to hear back, what can we expect once we get our letters? I'm going crazy waiting...
I feel you. From the posts above I’m not getting a great feeling either :unsure:

I dont know why they changed the start date, but I've heard professors who were part of the revamp wanted it done so that the program focused more on the biological sciences. There were feelings that most of our "softer" courses were jokes compared to anatomy, physiology and path. It is a shame in that respect because I think the courses they removed were the easier classes to do well in.

So they're making the curriculum harder? I have current friend who's an M2 at LECOM-B and he told me the masters program is like 2 years of med school condensed into 1. Is that true?

So they're making the curriculum harder? I have current friend who's an M2 at LECOM-B and he told me the masters program is like 2 years of med school condensed into 1. Is that true?
I don't know if anyone can say. The programs only 2 years old, so the first class that went through it is wrapping up M1 right now. Having looked at Step 1 materials, I can definitely say we don't know everything a M2 would be expected to know at the end of the year. We had very basic microbiology, no pharm, embryology or histology. For the subjects we did cover, very few of them were in as much depth as I think we will be expected to know. That being said, I'd only be guessing since I haven't started med school yet.

I do think the difficulty of getting the 3.4 GPA you guys will likely need is going to go up. Those "softer" courses made up about half of the A's I had in the program. If course difficulty isn't adjusted, I would expect GPAs to be lower next year. I think that will hurt dents more then med students, as the medical program had more of a linkage going on then the dental program. I would expect the med program to be quicker in adjusting GPA requirements then the dent program if the overall GPA for the class is lower. That is conjecture though.

I will say most of the more difficult courses were curved to 75/80, so people in the top half of the class will still probably be fine overall. Hopefully the overall stats for this year will be available soon so y'all can make educated decisions.

Rejection letter received today (I live on the east coast of Florida). GPA 3.3, SGPA 3.2, MCAT 493. Tons of EC’s (leadership, awards, 10 years work experience, paid clinical job for 6 months, 5 strong LOR’s). Retaking MCAT this year and will apply again this cycle.

Good luck to all of you in your future endeavors!

Just received my letter in the mail today! Accepted!! Do any of you know when I have to submit the deposit and paperwork? Thanks in advance.

Received my rejection today, I'm also applying to the Erie postbacc (I realized I should do this once it hit me that I'd probably get rejected from this one lol) so fingers crossed that goes well. Good luck to the rest of you!

Just received my letter in the mail today! Accepted!! Do any of you know when I have to submit the deposit and paperwork? Thanks in advance.

+1. When is everything due? The accepted letter says classes start in July. This thread I've read July and June. Not sure at this point when the program starts lol

+1. When is everything due? The accepted letter says classes start in July. This thread I've read July and June. Not sure at this point when the program starts lol

The program was originally supposed to start in June but now it will start in July.

Last edited:
Yeah it doesn't say in the acceptance when everything is due, anybody know?

I was accepted into this program as a non-traditional career change student. Super excited to start in July. Does anyone have any information on the percentage of dental students accepted to dental school this year from the MMS? Were they predominantly accepted to LECOM? What is the ballpark GPA of the accepted dents/what makes a student who was in the MMS not get accepted into their path program?

PS if anyone is interested in cheap housing, I own a house about an hour away — north in Pinellas County. I have space I can rent out (a furnished bedroom or an unfurnished bedroom), though I know commute will be a negative for most. I will be commuting obviously, so I’m thinking carpool. Message me if this piques your interest. Can’t wait to see everyone soon enough!

Has anyone heard about exact days and times for the classes that start in July?