LECOM Post-bacc 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

I was accepted to the post bacc program a bit ago, but have yet to accept the offer. Trying to decide between a few programs. Anyway, does anyone know the tuition? Online it says ~13,000 but is that for one semester or for the full program?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, anyone know class size? Easy to get new LORs? I emailed the program director but he hasn't gotten back to me. Something about being out of town.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I was accepted to the post bacc program a bit ago, but have yet to accept the offer. Trying to decide between a few programs. Anyway, does anyone know the tuition? Online it says ~13,000 but is that for one semester or for the full program?

~$13k is the tuition for the entire program.

Also, anyone know class size? Easy to get new LORs? I emailed the program director but he hasn't gotten back to me. Something about being out of town.

Thanks!

The class that just finished started out with ~130 according to the seating chart handed out at the beginning. Most, but not all, are in the medical track. You'll be assigned an advisor at the beginning of the year, and have to meet with them a couple of times. They should be able to write you a letter no problem as long as you're performing well in the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. Hot damn! That's 1/2, the cost of most programs, even nearly 1/4 of others.
I may have just made up my mind.

The class that just finished started out with ~130 according to the seating chart handed out at the beginning. Most, but not all, are in the medical track. You'll be assigned an advisor at the beginning of the year, and have to meet with them a couple of times. They should be able to write you a letter no problem as long as you're performing well in the program.[/QUOTE]

I guess the only thing I was worried about was getting individual attention from professors, something I literally had to fight and claw for in undergrad (huge class sizes, time constraints). So you'd (possibly) get one letter from your advisor, but none from individual professors?

I guess the only thing I was worried about was getting individual attention from professors, something I literally had to fight and claw for in undergrad (huge class sizes, time constraints). So you'd (possibly) get one letter from your advisor, but none from individual professors?
Most all of the professors are accessible via email and in their office. I'm sure most of them would be willing to write you a letter as long as they've talked to you enough to get to know you a bit, and as long as you've been a good student.

I have to ask though; how many letters do you really need? I assume you already have some since you applied and were accepted to the post-bacc. I don't remember how many you needed for post-bacc admissions, but you only need 2 science and 1 DO LoR for DO admissions at LECOM.

Yeah, I have all of the required letters to apply, but only got three interviews and waitlists (still waiting...) from the 14-15 cycle. It was suggested that since I have decent enough stats likely areas of weakness were my PS (now rewritten), and my LORs. Of course, I can't be sure, but it couldn't hurt to add a few new good ones, especially from a recent academic experience (I've been out of school for 2 years).

Does anyone know if there are any furnished aparments in the LECOM vicinity that are up for rent?

Just submitted my MCAT scores and there is nothing else needed -- my application should be complete. My application has been "under review" for several months waiting on my MCAT scores to be released. Now that everything is in, I have no idea what to expect as far as a timeline goes. I know it's so late in the cycle, so will a decision be made faster or will it still be ~3 weeks before they make a decision? I haven't received an email saying my application is completed or that my application will be reviewed this week (like other people have reportedly received), but then again my application has said "under review" for months. Any advice or input would be appreciated!

Just submitted my MCAT scores and there is nothing else needed -- my application should be complete. My application has been "under review" for several months waiting on my MCAT scores to be released. Now that everything is in, I have no idea what to expect as far as a timeline goes. I know it's so late in the cycle, so will a decision be made faster or will it still be ~3 weeks before they make a decision? I haven't received an email saying my application is completed or that my application will be reviewed this week (like other people have reportedly received), but then again my application has said "under review" for months. Any advice or input would be appreciated!

I was never notified of complete, but I was notified that my application was processed. You can check to see if your materials are in on the LECOM portal.

I'm not sure how it went for others, but I applied recently (late may) and heard back within a week
(of the processed email) actually. HOWEVER, they already had my MCAT, LORs, etc on file b/c I applied to the DO program last summer, so that likely sped the process along.

I was never notified of complete, but I was notified that my application was processed. You can check to see if your materials are in on the LECOM portal.

I'm not sure how it went for others, but I applied recently (late may) and heard back within a week
(of the processed email) actually. HOWEVER, they already had my MCAT, LORs, etc on file b/c I applied to the DO program last summer, so that likely sped the process along.
Yeah they have my letter(s), transcripts, MCAT -- so it should be good to go. I just wish I could know when to expect a decision. Did you get your decision in a week or did you get a "decision has been made" in a week? I'm sure it was helpful for them to have your stuff from your AACOMAS application!

Yeah they have my letter(s), transcripts, MCAT -- so it should be good to go. I just wish I could know when to expect a decision. Did you get your decision in a week or did you get a "decision has been made" in a week? I'm sure it was helpful for them to have your stuff from your AACOMAS application!

I wasn't checking my portal status online, so not sure when those statuses were changing, but I received a letter that was dated for within that week. I didn't receive it til the next, but, you know, snail mail.

Just sent all of my stuff in and received the email about them processing my application! Waiting game ensues.... :)

I was curious as to if they start looking at your application before everything is in as well. I applied may 31st, but they pulled most everything they needed from last year's AACOMAS so I was "processed" and "Under review" 2 days after I applied, but I am still waiting for my science prof to send in his LoR. This late in the game I'm hoping they don't have to wait until that is in before they start looking at my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure they wait until it is all in and your application is complete to review it. But I'm not 100% sure. I emailed Jamie a few times today and haven't received a response.

I emailed him yesterday evening and he responded first thing this morning...so I'm not sure whats going on.

Does anyone know if they would accept mcat preliminary percentile? Just trying to get a timeline on when I may here back since it's so late in the game.

Does anyone know if they would accept mcat preliminary percentile? Just trying to get a timeline on when I may here back since it's so late in the game.
They don't. I tried that avenue, but was told only the true MCAT score is accepted

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

They don't. I tried that avenue, but was told only the true MCAT score is accepted

Thanks and good luck. Hopefully you here back soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks and good luck. Hopefully you here back soon.
You as well! I'm assuming you took the test in May? Don't fret, you'll get your scores and definitely still have a chance. The Facebook group has 111 people as of now, so there's still 20-30 seats left

what percent of masters students get into DO school???

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I just found out, and it may be potentially useful information for others.

Emailed Jamie, his response: Typically 60% of the students who begin the Post Bac program successfully matriculate to the LECOM DO, Pharm D or DMD programs.

I suppose that is specifically for LECOM programs, so I'm not sure what % matriculate into DO, Pharm, or DMD elsewhere, and what % doesn't get in anywhere

I recently found out about this post bac program after reading threads on here and wanted to know what are my chances of getting into the program. I have a cGPA 3.46 sGPA 3.2 MCAT 19. I plan to retake the MCAT this year however it will not be until August 22 and the deadline for the application is September 3rd my scores will not be back in time :-( I know on the website it says the minimum MCAT score is 23 so does that automatically disqualify me as a candidate?

I was curious as to if they start looking at your application before everything is in as well. I applied may 31st, but they pulled most everything they needed from last year's AACOMAS so I was "processed" and "Under review" 2 days after I applied, but I am still waiting for my science prof to send in his LoR. This late in the game I'm hoping they don't have to wait until that is in before they start looking at my app.

This is what it said in the email they sent me about my application being processed:

Review all requirements for the admissions process including:
Letter of recommendation from one science professor
Official MCAT or DAT scores
Official Transcript. PLEASE BE PATIENT - THESE DOCUMENTS MUST BE CHECKED IN MANUALLY AND THIS MAY TAKE A FEW WEEKS.
If you have any requirements that are incomplete, they must be sent to the Office of Admissions before your file can be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Questions can be directed to Jamie Murphy at [email protected].

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I just found out, and it may be potentially useful information for others.

Emailed Jamie, his response: Typically 60% of the students who begin the Post Bac program successfully matriculate to the LECOM DO, Pharm D or DMD programs.

I suppose that is specifically for LECOM programs, so I'm not sure what % matriculate into DO, Pharm, or DMD elsewhere, and what % doesn't get in anywhere
I wonder what percent don't get in due to mcat. There are two reasons you don't matriculate, MCAT<23 or GPA<3.0. Imagine if ~90% of students get the 3.0 gpa but some have MCAT<23 therefore the total percentage comes to ~60%.

You as well! I'm assuming you took the test in May? Don't fret, you'll get your scores and definitely still have a chance. The Facebook group has 111 people as of now, so there's still 20-30 seats left

Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers.

The facebook group actually has former Postbac students and current LECOM med students to help incoming postbac students.

The facebook group actually has former Postbac students and current LECOM med students to help incoming postbac students.
Oh really?! That's wonderful news! I had no idea. The more seats available, the better :)
Thanks for letting me know!

To anyone that is wondering. Just found out that if you send your transcripts directly to Lecom's post bacc program, they only use B/C/P grades w/ no replacements to calculate the science gpa.

Hey all,
has anyone ever done this post bacc program before? I want to know overall how the program is and is it true that if you pass all Post Bac classes in the Fall of 2015, you will be granted an interview to the LECOM School of Dental Medicine? That's what Jamie told me.

Holy crap, my application status just changed: "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

I'm hoping since I live only 1-2 hours from them, it'll come in a couple days. God, I'm so nervous...

Reactions: 2 users
If I may ask... what program were you dismissed from......? They didn't inquire about that...?
I was disqualified from my business school freshman year but came back under a restricted enrollment agreement and was able to right the ship and make it out alive haha. So no, they didnt ask a thing. I may have wrote about it but i dont remember the application and have since moved on. Hope this helps!

Hey just curious... Do you mind sharing what program you were dismissed from? I am not sure if they were clear on how they perceive people dismissed from previous programs.. Also what was your stats.
sure it was disqualified not dismissed but i got back in anyways through a miracle. it was undergrad kinda like being on academic probation for a semester too long haha. I applied and got in to this program with a 3.2c 3.2s and 27 mcat. good luck.

Hey guys, so I dont know if anyone else has thought about this..I was accepted and will be attending LECOM post bacc. However, can we still apply to the D.O program through AACOMAs this cycle while we are in the post bac program? That way we technically have two seperate chances at an interview. Please tell me if this is "legal"

Hey guys! I was wondering how long your essays were for the application? I'm just using my personal statement, but I want to expand it a bit more. I don't want it to be too long though! How many words did you use?

Mine was a little less than one page. Short, to the point, but with the pertinent elements. Not quite like my PS, tailored to the post bacc prompt, but they are kinda close anyway.

Hey guys, so I dont know if anyone else has thought about this..I was accepted and will be attending LECOM post bacc. However, can we still apply to the D.O program through AACOMAs this cycle while we are in the post bac program? That way we technically have two seperate chances at an interview. Please tell me if this is "legal"

Yes. This is what I am doing, and Jamie said you have to apply through AACOMAS in order to get the interview, regardless of if you're in the post bacc program or not. So I guess it's two chances, but what you have to do anyway.

However, can we still apply to the D.O program through AACOMAs this cycle while we are in the post bac program?

As @eastwoods mentioned, you have to apply through AACOMAS if you want to be in the D.O. program even if you are in the post-bacc program. Doing so doesn't really give you a second chance. I would recommend submitting your AACOMAS, LORs, etc. before you even start so that's one less thing for you to worry about during the school year. Don't worry about having to list your post-bacc grades or classes on the app; I just listed undergrad and they pulled my post-bacc grades into my app on their own when I interviewed mid-February.

To anyone that is wondering. Just found out that if you send your transcripts directly to Lecom's post bacc program, they only use B/C/P grades w/ no replacements to calculate the science gpa.

Glad they pulled my courses from my old AACOMAS if that's the case, but it makes me wonder if the classes I've retaken since I applied to the DO program last year will just be counted as more classes instead of replacements, because those I did send in directly... it's going to affect my gpa quite a bit if they are just tacked on as more hours :(

Glad they pulled my courses from my old AACOMAS if that's the case, but it makes me wonder if the classes I've retaken since I applied to the DO program last year will just be counted as more classes instead of replacements, because those I did send in directly... it's going to affect my gpa quite a bit if they are just tacked on as more hours :(
well according to them, if you send the documents to them, they will only count b/c/p courses. Not engineering or 'other science' as indicated by AACOMAS. But they don't count retakes. So as long as you did good in b/c/p, you'll be fine.

Btw, they probably will count as extra hours, because if you send it to them directly, they are not counted as retakes.

As @eastwoods mentioned, you have to apply through AACOMAS if you want to be in the D.O. program even if you are in the post-bacc program. Doing so doesn't really give you a second chance. I would recommend submitting your AACOMAS, LORs, etc. before you even start so that's one less thing for you to worry about during the school year. Don't worry about having to list your post-bacc grades or classes on the app; I just listed undergrad and they pulled my post-bacc grades into my app on their own when I interviewed mid-February.

thank you! also, is there any way of even notifying other DO schools that I will be submitting my DO app to also, that I am doing a post bacc? Because there is no where to put it on the AACOMAS app. Maybe I will be able to mention that I am doing a post bacc when I receive secondaries from all the schools?

thank you! also, is there any way of even notifying other schools that I will be submitting my DO app too, that I am doing a post bacc? Because there is no where to put it on the AACOMAS app. Maybe I will be able to mention that I am doing a post bacc when I receive secondaries from all the schools?
Secondaries will be your opportunity to let them know

I'm still confused why they send decisions through the mail. I sit here and spy on the mail-lady as she approaches my house hoping that it'll be in today's mail...unfortunately it wasn't. Dying over here..! :eyebrow:

does anybody know if the 23 MCAT requirement only applies for the last attempt? for example if i took the exam 2 times and got above 23 the first attempt, but below 23 the second attempt, would my MCAT requirement for DO matriculation be fulfilled?

I received my acceptance letter today. :soexcited:

Congrats!!! When was your status changed to "decision made"??

Thank you. It was changed last thursday.

Thank you. It was changed last thursday.
That's when mine was too, I'm anxiously awaiting for my mail to be delivered..

That's when mine was too, I'm anxiously awaiting for my mail to be delivered..

I was the same way but you will get in hopefully. Have faith.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys know when the deadline is to apply to the program? I plan on taking the mcat july 17th so just wondering if that will be too late to apply?

I received my acceptance letter in the mail today! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys know when the deadline is to apply to the program? I plan on taking the mcat july 17th so just wondering if that will be too late to apply?

I took this from their website:
"Applications for the 2015-2016 Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Program are now being accepted. Please complete the inquiry form and we will e-mail you a user name and password to apply. The application deadline is August 3, 2015, for classes that begin September 2, 2015."

Also, it said "** All letters of recommendation and transcripts must be received in the Office of Admissions by September 1, 2015. **"