LECOM-Seton Hill Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else out there apply here? I specified Seton Hill as my first choice campus and was marked as under review on June 15th. Really excited about PBL. I also like the fact that Greensburg is less than an hour from my house. Would be great not to have to move and sell my house.

By the way, LECOM Erie/Seton Hill does NOT have any essays on the secondary this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
No essays this year? That's nice. The class of 2014 starts on July 24 so we can help answer questions, and there is a thread by DoctaJMa that has good information from the class of 2013.

I'll be making the commute too in less than 4 weeks from now so can let you know how it goes. Hopefully, we won't have a repeat of this year's winter again.:scared: Good luck!

The second year students will have more up to date info than me, but here is what I know...

We were told during our interview in Erie that SH will be included with the Erie rotation sites. However, we would be given priority for the Pittsburgh locations. Erie would be given priority for the Erie area locations.

In addition, when I visited SH this spring, the LECOM staff told me that they were in the process of signing rotation agreements with Excela healthcare in Greensburg. Not sure the status, but I will definitely ask about this during orientation/open house in 3 weeks.

No matter the outcome, I'm certain that I'm not going to be able to stay in Pittsburgh for all of the rotations b/c I don't see 100 rotation opportunities being added for the additional ~100 students/class at SH. But I could be wrong...

so if we are unable to do all of our clerkships in Pitt then do they expect us to be moving around during the year? Erie and Pitt are not exactly close enough to be commuting

Until the MS2s at SH set up rotations for next year, I don't think we'll know whether it is possible to stay in Pitt the entire time. LECOM does have a very large rotation site list. There are lots of rotations in PA including some that are not that far from Pittsburgh such as in Washington, Indiana, McKeesport, Natrona Heights, etc. Even Weirton, WV and Wheeling, WV are just under an hour from here depending on where you live.

Does anyone have any idea how many spots LECOM- Seton Hill offers and how many are remaining for the 2009-2010 cycle?

Thanks

LECOM-Seton Hill has 108 seats, at least for the class of 2014. I would imagine for the class of 2014 they are full or very close to it since orientation starts on July 24th.

I have been accepted to the Seton Hill campus (my 1st choice since I can commute from my current residence). Does anyone know if there is some kind of organized opportunity to visit the campus before matriculation? Just curious since we have to interview at the Erie campus and therefore don't get to see this campus at our interview.

I am a current OMSI... we received invitations to come tour campus after we were accepted... I was admitted until March last year... So I can't tell you how early they started offering that but I'm sure you can call and ask to see when that will be available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Needed a break from Histo...Pittsburgh (~35 miles from Greensburg) gets about 40 inches per year. This past winter was an exception as I think we almost doubled the snow.

Changing topics for one moment....congrats to FuturePittMed on your acceptance!:)

Yes, I have lived in the Pittsburgh area my entire life. I never saw anything like the snow we had in February before - that was definitely not typical. A typical snowstorm here drops less than 6 inches.

Thanks, Trimthechute. I am very happy about my acceptance! :D

As of today I have been accepted to Seton Hill for the class of 2015

I'll probably have a ton of questions as Aug '11 gets closer

Epic Win

As of today I have been accepted to Seton Hill for the class of 2015

I'll probably have a ton of questions as Aug '11 gets closer

Epic Win

Awesome Dude! Congrats!

Anyone else get the email from Linda about the tours for accepted students? I am planning on going but have not decided on a date yet. It is okay to wear business casual to this tour since we've already been accepted and it is kind of like a "Second Look" (for the first time), right?

If you come to visit, you'll want to follow the LECOM dress code. Dress shirt & tie for guys. They made us follow the dress code even to get our computers configured over the summer.

Hey Guys!

I'm interviewing at Erie in November, but SH is my top choice for school. Have any of you visited? If so, did you like the town? Are there any resources for finding good apartments downtown? I've been looking online, but can't find much. Thanks!

Hey Guys!

I'm interviewing at Erie in November, but SH is my top choice for school. Have any of you visited? If so, did you like the town? Are there any resources for finding good apartments downtown? I've been looking online, but can't find much. Thanks!

Check out MyGreensburgApartment.com. They sent this link to me after I was admitted. I'll be visiting the campus next week on the tour for students who have been accepted.

Until the MS2s at SH set up rotations for next year, I don't think we'll know whether it is possible to stay in Pitt the entire time. LECOM does have a very large rotation site list. There are lots of rotations in PA including some that are not that far from Pittsburgh such as in Washington, Indiana, McKeesport, Natrona Heights, etc. Even Weirton, WV and Wheeling, WV are just under an hour from here depending on where you live.

About 10% of the class gets to stay in one place the whole time. The rest have to move around (or get to move around, depending on how you look at it). It is impossible to be in Pittsburgh the entire time, as every Pittsburgh area student still has to fulfill three or so mandatory rotations, the closest of which is a little more than an hour south or north of Pitt, the furthest of which is in Niagara Falls, and the worst of which is in Erie. :laugh: No preference is given to students from either class for any area (and, frankly, don't believe what anyone from Admissions or Student Affairs tells you, period). Sorting out rotations was a nightmare, and most people ended up fairly disappointed. The ones who really suffer from this are those students with husbands and wives and children - for most of us it's just annoying because it's not how we were led to believe things were going to go!:(

I just received my acceptance letter, and with it I have to choose whether to matriculate LDP at Erie or PBL at Seton Hill. My preference would be PBL, but I don't know much about the Seton Hill area/campus. Are the board passing rates just as good with SH PBL? Also, it sounds like it's a mess to find rotations at SH. I'm from NJ, so I'd like to do a rotation or two back here. Is this usually possible? If anyone has any opinions/answers it would be much appreciated.

About 10% of the class gets to stay in one place the whole time. The rest have to move around (or get to move around, depending on how you look at it). ... don't believe what anyone from Admissions or Student Affairs tells you, period). (

Well, here's hoping that in 2013 when I am a 3rd year they have added more local sites. I don't necessarily need to be at the same hospital but I was hoping to at least stay in Pgh. For various personal reasons, it will not be easy having to live somewhere else for 4-8 weeks.

Interestingly enough, at the admissions interview in Erie we were told that "everyone got what they wanted" for rotations. I was skeptical of this statement at the time.

I just received my acceptance letter, and with it I have to choose whether to matriculate LDP at Erie or PBL at Seton Hill. My preference would be PBL, but I don't know much about the Seton Hill area/campus. Are the board passing rates just as good with SH PBL? Also, it sounds like it's a mess to find rotations at SH. I'm from NJ, so I'd like to do a rotation or two back here. Is this usually possible? If anyone has any opinions/answers it would be much appreciated.

I know at the admissions interview they said the board passing rate was 96% but I don't know if that included SH.

There is a list of rotation sites on the flash drive they gave us at the interview. There is only one site for NJ listed, Warren Hospital in Phillipsburg. I don't know if that is in the area you were hoping and don't know how likely you'd be to get in there.

I visited the SH campus a few weeks ago. It is smaller than the main campus, a little less fancy, but smaller and more intimate. It is also on the campus of this really charming university. They have this amazing winding, tree lined driveway you drive up to get to the hill the campus is situated on. The cafeteria, which is in a building across from the main med school bldg at SH, looks like it is part of Hogwart's! I am not kidding! I will say that Erie has the better gym. SH has a modest gym and exercise equipment. There is a pool, too, but it wasn't on the tour.

Well the campus sounds nice. I just don't want to go there and have it be a ghost town. As for rotating in NJ, I was hoping to rotate once or twice through a hospital near my hometown where UMDNJ students rotate through. I'm sure it'd be up to me to do the leg work, but I just wanted to know that the school is open to the idea of me doing this, as it sounds like I'd have to travel away from SH anyway. Also, I'm assuming at SH there are no cadavers? I know Erie PBL doesn't have it but I've read Bradenton does, so I didn't know where SH sat.

Well the campus sounds nice. I just don't want to go there and have it be a ghost town. As for rotating in NJ, I was hoping to rotate once or twice through a hospital near my hometown where UMDNJ students rotate through. I'm sure it'd be up to me to do the leg work, but I just wanted to know that the school is open to the idea of me doing this, as it sounds like I'd have to travel away from SH anyway. Also, I'm assuming at SH there are no cadavers? I know Erie PBL doesn't have it but I've read Bradenton does, so I didn't know where SH sat.

I don't know a lot about Greensburg itself but in my brief trip there last month it didn't look like too small of a town. It definitely is not rural. At any rate, Pgh is maybe 40 minutes drive and there is lots to do there! Sports teams, symphony, theater, opera, regatta, concerts, etc.

I can't answer rotation questions so I will leave that to someone better qualified. I am going to pray a lot in the coming years that things work out for all of us and we get rotations we can live with! :)

I was definitely under the impression that there are no cadavers at SH. I am okay with this since I don't care for the chemical exposure.

Check out MyGreensburgApartment.com. They sent this link to me after I was admitted. I'll be visiting the campus next week on the tour for students who have been accepted.

Thanks for the tip! Much better than the other sites I was looking at. How did you like the campus? I am interviewing this Friday, and am a little bummed that I won't get a chance to see Greensburg before I select it as my preferred campus, but from what I've seen/heard it looks pretty great.

Thanks for the tip! Much better than the other sites I was looking at. How did you like the campus? I am interviewing this Friday, and am a little bummed that I won't get a chance to see Greensburg before I select it as my preferred campus, but from what I've seen/heard it looks pretty great.

It has a much different feel than the main campus. Of course this is based off a few hours spent at each place but here goes...

Erie main has close to 300 students per class plus the pharmacy students. That's a lot of people but you are all isolated together in this self contained building.

SH is on a college campus. I thought it was pretty charming and low key there. It will be much more intimate since there is only about 100 students per class so about 400 students total once they are up to speed there. The areas for the med school are locked off from the rest of campus with card key readers. But you are still on a college campus and will see other non med students at the gym and cafeteria and library (though a part of the library is for the med students only and you need a card key to get in).

I am thinking I will like the smaller, more intimate environment of SH. There was no question I wanted PBL. I am a nontrad and just feel I would get lost in a big lecture hall. My only regret, really, is the Wellness Center in Erie is just amazing and, while there are some modest exercise facilities at SH, they pale in comparison to that awesome Wellness Center!

Location was a big factor for me. I won't have to move from my current residence to go to SH and I knew I wanted PBL for sure so I felt good about selecting SH sight unseen at my interview in Erie. After having seen the campus I feel happy about my choice and think I will like the smaller environment. If they can fix the rotation situation within the next three years I will have picked the best med school possible for me.

Good luck at your interview MNBred! :luck:

My application to LECOM has been under review since November,9th. Does any one have an idea how long it takes before one gets a response? I chose LECOM/Seton Hill as my number one choice and I really hope I'll get it.
Thank you all for your help.

1. Seton Hill hasn't taken boards yet, so we have no idea about comparative pass rates.
2. Rotations are equitably messy at Seton Hill and Erie, since we are all thrown into the same pot for the same rotations; which campus you're on makes no difference in your chances for a particular rotation.
3. I think that this year there was only one NJ site, though there were a few NYC-area sites. There were significant changes between last year's sites and this year's, so there is no way to know what will be available in 2-3 years when it's your turn. You can always do electives wherever you want.
Good luck!

It has a much different feel than the main campus. Of course this is based off a few hours spent at each place but here goes...

Erie main has close to 300 students per class plus the pharmacy students. That's a lot of people but you are all isolated together in this self contained building.

SH is on a college campus. I thought it was pretty charming and low key there. It will be much more intimate since there is only about 100 students per class so about 400 students total once they are up to speed there. The areas for the med school are locked off from the rest of campus with card key readers. But you are still on a college campus and will see other non med students at the gym and cafeteria and library (though a part of the library is for the med students only and you need a card key to get in).

I am thinking I will like the smaller, more intimate environment of SH. There was no question I wanted PBL. I am a nontrad and just feel I would get lost in a big lecture hall. My only regret, really, is the Wellness Center in Erie is just amazing and, while there are some modest exercise facilities at SH, they pale in comparison to that awesome Wellness Center!

Location was a big factor for me. I won't have to move from my current residence to go to SH and I knew I wanted PBL for sure so I felt good about selecting SH sight unseen at my interview in Erie. After having seen the campus I feel happy about my choice and think I will like the smaller environment. If they can fix the rotation situation within the next three years I will have picked the best med school possible for me.

Good luck at your interview MNBred! :luck:

Hey! It's been awhile since I was on this thread, so I just saw your response. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up! I am also a non-trad and new that PBL would be right for me. Good thing I decided on that route because... I GOT IN!!:D I was a little worried about applying to the SH campus because I had never seen it, but after your description, I am feeling much better about it. I would have to relocate (like...cross the country re-locate) but am excited about the prospect of being close to Pitt, living in a smaller town than I live in now, and being part of a smaller class. Thanks again for your input!!

I am a pre-med student very interested in LeCOM. For those already accepted, congrats. Could you let the rest of us know what kind of resume you had? such as GPA, MCAT, and ECs

Thanks

I am a pre-med student very interested in LeCOM. For those already accepted, congrats. Could you let the rest of us know what kind of resume you had? such as GPA, MCAT, and ECs

Thanks

I got into LECOM Seton Hill recently and as of now I will likely attend there unless I get pulled from the alternate list at LECOM Bradenton.

My stats were ~3.4 GPA, ~3.3 sGPA, MCAT= 27

As for ECs, I was in a premed club, research 1.5 years (nothing published), volunteering, shadowing, Social Fraternity (was a recruitment chair and intramural chair for it) and some other clubs.

I think what LECOM is looking for is people who they think can succeed at their school. So if your interested in PBL, give them an example of how you can work efficiently by yourself and how your self motivated, etc...

Good luck

Interviewed 12/17
Portal Change 12/23
Acceptance Letter 12/31 - it was a very exciting end-of-the year surprise!

For everoyne applying here..
Average GPA of the class of 2014 seems to be about a 3.3 with the MCATs having a high of 32 and low of 22 (from people Ive talked to)

Greensburg is... Greensburg. There is stuff to do, golfing etc but it is not even remotely comparable to Pitt. Its about a 40 minute to 1hr drive to Shadyside in Pitt. There are a few bars that are cool, but in the most part there isnt a huge nightlife out here. Incidentally, you wont be enjoying the nightlife too much your first semester, as between PBL tests and Anatomy you are going to be swamped

Erie gets most of the attention/faculty (considering they have LDP) so dont expect too much in the way of support lectures or anything. However, they are rounding out the staff here at SH pretty nicely, and the new additions for Neuro/Micro/Path are great.
All this being said, I would never think twice if I had to pick between Erie LDP or SH PBL. SH PBL everytime. We are not a stand alone campus, so dress code is only in effect in LECOM affiliated buildings, so you can use the undergrad library and be in sweats and have food/water.

I never thought that I would find myself disagreeing with a post by ShyRem, who is one of my favorite people on these boards, but I'm not sure that board scores tell the whole story. I'm pretty sure that I will do well on the boards, but I could probably have done just as well on the boards just studying on my own. I do feel that I could have been better prepared for my clinical years if I had had better H&P instruction, better anatomy, and a collegial atmosphere rather than a combative one. Perhaps it is my fault for choosing a new campus, for believing the admissions officers and their selected students, or for misunderstanding what accreditation implied. I can't take back my decision to attend my school, but I do hope that other prospective students do not make the same mistakes that I did. There can be HUGE differences in the education you can get at different osteopathic medical schools. Is it still possible to learn what you need to at a crappy school? Sure! For example, we never learned how to do a physical exam on a patient in school, but I have family who are physicians and I have learned from them over the holidays. When I go on rotations in June, I'll be ale to learn with everyone else instead of hanging back in fear. But there are people in my class who will be hanging back, who may never really feel comfortable with some parts of PE, etc. Those students might have been better served at a better school. Just an example, and maybe others disagree. I just want to put my words of caution out there - please don't be fooled by low price tags or blithe assurances by those paid to promote a school; not all schools are created equal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there might not be one best school, but the worst do exist.

I pulled this up from another thread. The poster is a LECOM-Seton Hill student and she brings up some stuff that are surprising. I have already paid my deposit for this school and this scares me. Can any current students chime in on the type of clinical education that the school provides for its students?

I pulled this up from another thread. The poster is a LECOM-Seton Hill student and she brings up some stuff that are surprising. I have already paid my deposit for this school and this scares me. Can any current students chime in on the type of clinical education that the school provides for its students?

I too have read that and felt nervous about the program. I PMed that person to get more details. From reading his/her response it sounds to me like personal learning style differences and not major accreditation problems. I had sent him/her an additional messaged back asking for more details since the problems were just described with adjectives and not specific examples but I haven't heard back yet (I'm assume he/she is very busy). I have written to a few other LECOM students who did not have such huge concerns - they have said there are some small problems but if you are self motivated and have a positive outlook you should be fine.

My MS program was like this so I guess I am not concerned about LECOM-SH. After the first year of my MS program I so so frustrated with everything since it was not going the way I thought it was supposed to; I felt I wasn't learning anything because it was so different than undergrad. By the end those thoughts/feelings went away and in hindsight I am very happy I went there. It seemed for me that it was the transition from standard lecture to more of a self-directed, application approach that made me frustrated. I was used to professors telling me everything I needed to know - not only lecture/knoweldge things but also information re: deadlines, how to do something/obtain something required for graduation, how to gain more experience in a certain area. This is just one example of a non-academic situation - I had thought my advisor would tell me everything I needed to know and I didn't need to always check on my own to make sure things were getting done. I am a little OCD so I usually check anyway and was suprised at how many things I wasn't told. I was mad at first, but in reality I am a professional adult and need to take responsibility by doing things on my own and using the advisor as a resource. At the time I didn't realize how different undergrad and grad would be from each other and I just thought it was b/c the program was terrible. There were a lot of us who felt this way at the start and by the end most of us were very happy with the program...It was those of us who improved our attitudes and looked at the glass half full vs. half empty that came out satisfied in the end.

While I obviously don't go to SH right now and I very well could be kicking myself in 3 years for attending, I don't think that will be the case based on what other people have posted and my past experiences. It is what you make of it. From reading everything this is what I have gathered - If you don't want to deal with having to figure things out on your own and taking it upon yourself to learn something outside of class that your professor didn't explain well then PBL would not be a good fit. You will probably have to evaluate what you want your program to do for you and what you are willing to do on your own before deciding if SH is right for you. I suggest you talk to other students. PM me and I can send you a quick summary of the info I've gotten so far.

Last edited:
Im a current MS-1 at LECOM SH,
First and foremost, addressing your concerns, the first class here had it a lot more difficult than we have. The issues they might have experienced have been, for the most part, smoothed over. The faculty has been rounded out, and the curriculum is evolving. On a side note, the faculty is way more relaxed than their Erie counterparts, easily approachable.
This school puts a huge focus on both clinical application and H+P. We literally have done H+P every week since anatomy and will continue to do so.
I wont try to convince you to go here, but I can say that I do feel I will be more prepared for a medical setting coming from a PBL atmosphere than from a didactic class schedule. Some of the faculty here leaves a bit to be desired,but in all reality it isn't your faculty that will decide what you learn its yourself.
School is what you make of it. Memorizing lectures and regurgitating facts will get you a good GPA, but the question is will you learn any of th material well enough to apply it when someones life hangs in the balance? I dont second guess my decision to come here, I feel that I am being well prepared to approach medicine as a professional.

I am going on a tour on Monday the 17th. Anyone else going to be there? Also, have an interview feb 25th in Erie.

Im a current MS-1 at LECOM SH,
First and foremost, addressing your concerns, the first class here had it a lot more difficult than we have. The issues they might have experienced have been, for the most part, smoothed over. The faculty has been rounded out, and the curriculum is evolving. On a side note, the faculty is way more relaxed than their Erie counterparts, easily approachable.
This school puts a huge focus on both clinical application and H+P. We literally have done H+P every week since anatomy and will continue to do so.
I wont try to convince you to go here, but I can say that I do feel I will be more prepared for a medical setting coming from a PBL atmosphere than from a didactic class schedule. Some of the faculty here leaves a bit to be desired,but in all reality it isn't your faculty that will decide what you learn its yourself.
School is what you make of it. Memorizing lectures and regurgitating facts will get you a good GPA, but the question is will you learn any of th material well enough to apply it when someones life hangs in the balance? I dont second guess my decision to come here, I feel that I am being well prepared to approach medicine as a professional.

:thumbup:

I agree. PBL is very difficult at first if you are used to lecture-->regurgitation because you are learning a ton on your own, and you are expected to be thinking about differentials as soon as the case presents. I find myself getting overwhelmed with the "what tests to perform and why". However, the more cases we do, the better I am able to understand the why and what the results mean. These are the things that "stick" in my head long after the case is over. I feel this approach is going to really help me 3rd year.

There is a lot more support this year and some improvements from the previous year. There will be even more improvements for the class of 2015 as the staff gets feedback from our class. Sure, there are things that are annoying, but you are going to get that at any school.

So did the earlier quoted post saying that they "never learned how to do a physical exam on a patient" just mean that they didn't get to do one on an actual patient in a hospital or clinic? There's still "patient actors" or whatever they're called?

I'm thinking I'm going to withdraw my acceptance from NSU (and kiss that deposit goodbye) and cancel my interview at AZCOM for next month, but I'm still not completely sold. Spending $100,000 less and getting to do PBL is pretty appealing, though...

Hi all! I was recently accepted to LECOM-Seton Hill c/o 2015. I am from California and have not been to Greensburg yet. I was curious what areas I should look at for housing? I know some others have posted that Greensburg is not very pet friendly for renters. My husband and I have two small dogs. I am a little worried we are going to freeze to death on the East Coast LOL :) But I am excited about PBL!!! There really isn't a lot of info on LECOM Seton Hill at all! I would have thought there would be a tab on the LECOM website or Seton Hill website or something.... I appreciate all the info!

Hi all! I was recently accepted to LECOM-Seton Hill c/o 2015. I am from California and have not been to Greensburg yet. I was curious what areas I should look at for housing? I know some others have posted that Greensburg is not very pet friendly for renters. My husband and I have two small dogs. I am a little worried we are going to freeze to death on the East Coast LOL :) But I am excited about PBL!!! There really isn't a lot of info on LECOM Seton Hill at all! I would have thought there would be a tab on the LECOM website or Seton Hill website or something.... I appreciate all the info!

Housing in Greensburg doesn't offer much variety. Most of the places that people live are older (built in the 60s, 70s and maybe 80s). The main company that rents places apartments and townhouses in Greensburg is AR Building Company. I personally live in Starboard Villa... It was not my first choice... Rent isn't too bad $555 for a 2 bd/1 ba with garage townhouse. However no one ever disclosed to me how high my electric bill would be in the winter... It has been over $200 the past 2 months and I do not keep my thermostats above 60. So once you factor that in, the lack of a dishwasher and garbage disposal, coupled with the fact that there is no central air... It's not such a good deal (in my opinion). I also have 2 small dogs, but was unable to find a place that would allow me to have them here, so they are living with my parents for now.

I am personally looking to move to Monroeville or Pittsburgh this summer given the lack of options (in my opinion) here in Greensburg. Of course you can look on craigslist and various other sites but I have had no luck.

Ok...got the matriculation packet and I am little worried about a few things. Really the whole NO MAC WHATSOEVER EVEN IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS thing was the most irritating. My husband has a windows laptop so I am sort of covered, but I like my MAC! Are they that strict about computers? It seems like Seton Hill is pretty pro-apple from what I saw on their website. Anyone know anything or have an opinion?

I was also curious about the weekly schedule...so as I mentioned before I have 2 small doggies and a cat and from what I have found and others have mentioned NONE of the property management/apartments/craigslist listings will allow pets. Its looking like I will have to live in Pittsburgh or at least 30 minutes away if I want to have them (unless of course I get lucky). How often are we actually at school? I was under the impression that there aren't many class hours in the PBL curriculum. Would commuting from Pittsburgh be completely terrible? More then anything I am worried about the snow and missing class. I also don't want to spend all my study time commuting.... any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice!