LECOM-Seton Hill Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I'm a current first year at Lecom-SH, and I decided to take a break from my studies to check out SDN (haven't looked at this in 6 months and it's so strange to be the one offering advice now...).

I'm from Chicago but I attended USC, so I understand your anxieties about the East Coast weather. LA has spoiled me to the point where I can't see myself living anywhere else besides SoCal, so I'll make my way back there one day. The weather in Greensburg is mild compared to what I was used to in Chicago. It's not as windy or cold, and when it snows, they do a great job plowing the roads and street leading up to our school on the hill.

I know a bunch of my classmates who use Macs and IPADs during lecture and PBL sessions. Our IT guy at Lecom may not be an expert with Mac, so maybe that's the only reason why they are discouraging it.

One of my classmates owns a dog and lives in/near downtown Greensburg, so if you look really hard, I hope you can find a pet-friendly place. I'm currently living with 3 classmates in a house/duplex owned by the Greensburg YMCA. Rent is dirt cheap for me = $300/mo., no annual contract, and furnishing and all utilities paid for :). I love my location because it's walking distance to the Seton Hill shuttle that takes you right up the hill to school. But most people pay about $500-600 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Yes, from what I've heard, commuting from Pitt would be terrible for 1st years. Most of my classmates live in the area or in Monroeville. Your first semester, you will be swamped with Embryo/Histo crash courses (first 3 weeks), Anatomy (Aug-mid October), PBL, OMM, HP, and occasional electives like EKG and Healthcare management. So you'll pretty much need to be on campus 5 days a week with some 3 day weekends every now and then.

We're in our 2nd semester now, and our schedule is so much better! PBL 2 hours per day M/W/F....OMM and lab 3 hours on Tue, and HP and lab 3 hours on Thursday. We just finished our intro Path elective (independent studying) and all of our PBL cases for the first exam which will be on Feb 21st. So that means we'll only have class on Tue and Th for the next 3 weeks! I feel much more relaxed now without Anatomy and doing case studies with PBL is really awesome.

Regarding Anatomy, our class scored 528 on the National Shelf exam compared with the national average of 494 for MD/DO schools. Most med schools don't really put much emphasis on this exam so maybe that's why the national avg is lower. However, you really will learn so much with Anatomy if you put in the crazy amount of effort (yes, even without cadavers).

Lastly, I highly encourage everyone to read the first few chapters in both Histo and Embryo before you start school. Those courses will hit you hard, you will only help yourself if you can start beforehand. If you need any other advice about anything, please feel free to let me know! Congrats, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok...got the matriculation packet and I am little worried about a few things. Really the whole NO MAC WHATSOEVER EVEN IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS thing was the most irritating. My husband has a windows laptop so I am sort of covered, but I like my MAC! Are they that strict about computers? It seems like Seton Hill is pretty pro-apple from what I saw on their website. Anyone know anything or have an opinion?

I have a MAC and the only issue I had was in using the anatomy CD. I ended up using the LECOM computers in the library, but if your husband has a PC, you should be fine. Or you could install parallels or equiv. software to run Windows OS on your MAC. Other than that, no issues with MAC. In fact many in our class have IPads and even our anatomy professor used an IPad.

Commuting from Pittsburgh is doable, but it gets old during 1st semester as DrBee mentioned. Now it is not so bad since we are on campus a lot less. Depends on your tolerance for driving.

Hi All,
My fiance & I are class of 2015 at SH. Looking to rent or buy a house. Anybody have any advice? And I'd really like to know if there is a good/bad area to live in Greensburg. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi....I live in the YMCA house with 4 other students, so I can't offer too much advice. Greensburg seems extremely safe to me (though I did grow up in Chicago and went to Los Angeles for undergrad). Your best bet is to probably visit the area when you get the chance...

Can anyone who has gotten their packet after they sent in their deposit tell me what date orientation starts? Calling the school has gotten me no where and Amy Rowe doesn't check her email. I'm waiting for my packet as they have received my check today.

I was wondering a couple things...I have my eerie interview on march 15 and from reading the eerie forum it seems they already filled all their seats and after being waitlisted to lecom-b and really liking the pbl program, i was looking into going to the seton hill campus, but i originally put eerie as my preferred campus on my supp app...should i call and change it?

I was wondering a couple things...I have my eerie interview on march 15 and from reading the eerie forum it seems they already filled all their seats and after being waitlisted to lecom-b and really liking the pbl program, i was looking into going to the seton hill campus, but i originally put eerie as my preferred campus on my supp app...should i call and change it?

No you don't need to call them because they have you rank the schools the day of the interview in Erie. I did not rank Seton Hill on supplementary, but put it first on interview day & that's where I got in. I was also betting that Erie PBL was full, with only 40 spots to begin with.
In regards to every spot being taken already, I doubt that is the case. They are getting full, but if you are really good, you can get accepted. Basically anything else gets waitlisted.

As far as apartments go, look on craigslist. I found a great place there (3 bedrooms with utilities included for $525 a month with a washer and dryer). After our winter break our class (2014) had to take a diagnostic exam and we scored the same as Bradenton. The nice thing about PBL is that you do most of the teaching yourselves. There have been a few weekends where I have been able to fly home for 5 days because of the PBL schedule (once you finish your cases you only have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays until the exam). I agree with JForbes, in that I would choose to go here again. After experiencing PBL, I could never do LDP. Our administration is a lot more laid back than up in Erie and students are willing to work together to help each other out. There are going to be issues with any medical school you go to and the class of 2013 did so much to make the school better.

For everoyne applying here..
Average GPA of the class of 2014 seems to be about a 3.3 with the MCATs having a high of 32 and low of 22 (from people Ive talked to)

Greensburg is... Greensburg. There is stuff to do, golfing etc but it is not even remotely comparable to Pitt. Its about a 40 minute to 1hr drive to Shadyside in Pitt. There are a few bars that are cool, but in the most part there isnt a huge nightlife out here. Incidentally, you wont be enjoying the nightlife too much your first semester, as between PBL tests and Anatomy you are going to be swamped

Erie gets most of the attention/faculty (considering they have LDP) so dont expect too much in the way of support lectures or anything. However, they are rounding out the staff here at SH pretty nicely, and the new additions for Neuro/Micro/Path are great.
All this being said, I would never think twice if I had to pick between Erie LDP or SH PBL. SH PBL everytime. We are not a stand alone campus, so dress code is only in effect in LECOM affiliated buildings, so you can use the undergrad library and be in sweats and have food/water.
Hey guys. I am also a first year at LECOM-Seton Hill. I agree with a lot of these posts that Seton Hill is MUCH better than Erie, however that doesn't mean LECOM-Seton Hill is a good medical school. I can't speak for anyone else but if I had to do it all over again knowing what kind of education (or lack of) I was going to get, I most definitely would have chosen a different medical school.

If any of you have tried researching LECOM-Seton Hill and not been able to come up with much it is because there isn't much here. We have no Cadaver labs (which in retrospect I think is a MUST). We have the basement floor of a very ugly building and a very small and depressing library that nobody uses because you have to be in dress code and can't even drink water. Seton Hill is a nice University but it is small and there is not much to do here. The gym is adequate but lacks a lot of equipment.

Basically if you attend this medical school you will most likely feel like you are teaching yourself to become a physician. After the first 12 weeks of Histo, Embryo and Gross Anatomy, you are basically on your own. There are rarely any lectures and the lectures we do have are pretty worthless. Apparently we have it a lot better than last year's inaugural class but that doesn't mean it is good by any means.

We recently had our white coat ceremony this past February and the Ferretti's (who own all three campuses) did not even come to our ceremony. They blamed it on bad weather even though there was barely a dusting on the ground. The ceremony itself was embarrassing. I was honestly embarrassed to attend this school and have my family watch me get a white coat from here. I am completely against everything about this school except for some of the PBL facilitators and my classmates. Luckily we are all in this crappy situation together and if it weren't for them I would have lost it by now.
One more aside on the white coat ceremony...they didn't even have a reception for us. The administration does NOTHING for us here. It is basically a completely student run medical school with so many restrictions that we aren't allowed to run it ourselves even though we have to in order to get anything done. So basically our families were to come from all over the country to see us get our white coats for an hour and then leave again...ridiculous. Thankfully our class officers organized a very nice reception at the Supper Club and that part of the day turned out okay.

I hope I am not offending anyone or deterring anyone from coming here. I mean only to tell the truth because if I had known these things before I had been accepted I would have DEFINITELY gone somewhere else.

I haven't even gotten into how rotations are done yet...that's for another day. Basically the class president does rotations by himself with no support from the faculty or staff and most people don't get what they want. (especially if you want to go to cleveland).

Back to Physiology. Good luck everyone. I hope this helps.

Hi all. I am applying here this year and will be commuting from Morgantown, WV if I get in. Can anyone give me an idea of what the class schedule is like for first and second years?

Does anyone here have/know anyone in the class who has small children? I would like to live closer to the school but am unsure about the quality of daycares there.

Any information would be great, thanks:)

Hi all. I am applying here this year and will be commuting from Morgantown, WV if I get in. Can anyone give me an idea of what the class schedule is like for first and second years?

Does anyone here have/know anyone in the class who has small children? I would like to live closer to the school but am unsure about the quality of daycares there.

Hi, SunnK,

When you apply, they will have you apply through the LECOM portal and in there you will have access to the class schedules and book lists which is kind of nice. The first semester has anatomy and some other lectures so is 8-5 most days. But after that, it is not a bad schedule, looks about 2-3 hours of class or lab most days.

I will be starting in four months and commuting from the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh, about an hour each way. Not ideal but hopefully doable. :) Don't know anything about the daycares, though. Good luck.:luck:

There is no way that commuting that far will work. You'll be spending 15+ hours a week commuting, when you're already strapped for study time (especially during anatomy). Not to mention the expense as gas is quickly approaching $4/gallon. On days that you go from 8am-5pm, you'd have to leave by 6 am at the very latest (due to traffic, parking, walking to class, etc) and you wouldn't get home until almost 7pm (walking back to car, traffic, etc). If you study the recommended 6 hours after that it puts you to 1am giving you 5 hours before you have to leave for class the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no way that commuting that far will work. You'll be spending 15+ hours a week commuting, when you're already strapped for study time (especially during anatomy). Not to mention the expense as gas is quickly approaching $4/gallon. On days that you go from 8am-5pm, you'd have to leave by 6 am at the very latest (due to traffic, parking, walking to class, etc) and you wouldn't get home until almost 7pm (walking back to car, traffic, etc). If you study the recommended 6 hours after that it puts you to 1am giving you 5 hours before you have to leave for class the next day.

I am also a first year... And I'm gonna have to agree with this comment. You really need to have as much study time as possible, particularly until Anatomy is over. I would also mention that it is a good walk from the parking lot up to the building where our classes are... So you can't pull in 5 minutes before and expect to be on time... Especially if 1st and 2nd years are all on campus at once... You would likely be in the very bottom parking lot, which is at least a 15 minute walk. I only mention this because there are instances where administrators will stand at the entrance to the auditorium and have you badge in... And they will note if you are late or absent.
Some people in my class got lectured about being 30 seconds late... So take that for what its worth...
If there is anyway you could live closer to campus, I would advise it... At least for first semester... I know some people commuted from Monroeville and didn't have any trouble... But that is significantly closer than Northern suburbs of Pittsburgh
Just my two cents...

Last edited:
I
If there is anyway you could live closer to campus, I would advise it... At least for first semester... I know some people commuted from Monroeville and didn't have any trouble... But that is significantly closer than Northern suburbs of Pittsburgh
Just my two cents...

I've already done a test drive and it is just one hour which isn't great but is doable. Now SunnK is talking about a 140 mile drive round trip between WV and Greensburg. That is def something to think about...

I've already done a test drive and it is just one hour which isn't great but is doable. Now SunnK is talking about a 140 mile drive round trip between WV and Greensburg. That is def something to think about...

OMS-I here at LECOM-SH

So you think an hour isn't that bad but honestly I hate my 4-5 minute drive and the 10-15 walk from the parking lot.

I knew that medical school was going to be a lot of work and a lot of reading. I was wrong. It is A LOT OF READING. I don't even come close to reading the material 3 times each like they suggest and I still have relatively no life. I am a very laid back easy going person and Anatomy, Histo and Embryo all at the same time with useless labs and classes and forums that just take time away from your studying, and then finishing the 800+ pg Grey's book in less than 12 weeks brought me close to tears multiple times.

Do yourself a favor, everyone that is coming next year; if you haven't had extensive anatomy in your past then bone up a little over the summer. Muscle names and locations, learning to draw the brachial plexus will chop a few days of quivering in fear out of your Fall schedule.

Just trying to help and am open to any questions. If not then I will see you next Fall. Have fun now.

There's no question that there are problems with the administration here. You will be teaching yourself without a lot of help from the faculty unless you seek it out. But for me, I always end up teaching myself anyways, as trying to pay attention for 5-7 hrs straight of lecture is death.
Secondly, the commute from Pitt is going to be death... an hr each way is more time than you will have the energy to do. Trust me, you will be studying 12-15 hrs a day absolutely no question... unless you don't and then you wont be here very long anyways.
If you are consistently late to class, Mrs. Linville will jump down your throat (trust me, stay under her radar as much as possible)

I agree with all the others about reducing your commuting time - there are some second-years who commute an hour (there were more last year, I think, but most of them moved closer in), but, like PeaceLove, I drive about 10 min and walk the 15 from the parking lot and I needed that time for studying during Anatomy.

Morgantown is an hour and a half away, unless it snows, or there's traffic, or an accident, or two out of three. And with the money you'd be saving on gas and maintenance, you could hire a nanny. It's great if you get into school here, and I understand that maybe your family is in WV and can provide some free child care, but it would be incredibly difficult trying to commute 150 miles 4x or 5x a week. For something as important as medical school, you can't risk failing. And, one thing about LECOM, you need to keep a good gpa to keep them off your back, especially in second year. Don't be at the bottom of your class!

Hey all, Does anyone have LECOM SH first time pass rates for comlex 1. I tried looking but could not find it anywhere.

I was accepted to LDP erie and am on the waitlist for PBL in erie but am thinking of trying to switch to PBL in SH. I am still not sure that PBL is for me but I think I would learn a lot more reading and doing case studies than sitting in lecture.

Hey all, Does anyone have LECOM SH first time pass rates for comlex 1. I tried looking but could not find it anywhere.

I was accepted to LDP erie and am on the waitlist for PBL in erie but am thinking of trying to switch to PBL in SH. I am still not sure that PBL is for me but I think I would learn a lot more reading and doing case studies than sitting in lecture.

LECOM-SH's first class was 2009-2010, so no one from here has taken the boards yet. Second years will be taking them in the next couple of months. As for ever being able to find board score pass rates specifically for Seton Hill kids, I don't think you will ever find it. Thats the impression I was given during an admin meeting yesterday... That our scores will be grouped in with Erie.

I can tell you what they told us... LECOM-Erie has for the past couple of years has had a 100% pass rate for first time test takers for all students with a medical school GPA 3.0 or higher. Everyone is given (or forced, depending on how you look at it) to participate in a review course during the academic year... If you have a GPA <3.0 you must attend lectures during that time, if you have >3.0 then you just have to show up for some exams. If you happen to have <2.5 you have to take your first rotation spot for 3rd year and participate in summer course to prepare you for the boards. So if you have <2.5 then you essentially lose one of your elective rotations 3rd year.

Hope this is helpful since there is no data.

We also have to pass several shelf exams and some mock board exams in order to be allowed to take the comlex. Comparing the pass rates that a school reports might not mean much...

Hope this is helpful since there is no data.

Very helpful, It at least shows that the Administration is concerned with the success of its students. Thanks DuxburyPembroke for your response as well.

Do you or others feel that your training has adequately prepared you for your clinical rotations? Do you see any holes in your education that you are concerned about? Would you feel comfortable doing an H&P on a patient and presenting the case?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just trying to figure some things out.

Hello,

I'm also a first-year here. Regarding adequate preparation for clinical rotations, I can't answer that yet based on a year of History and Physical. However, the Family Medicine club here does a nice job every Thursday going over what we learn weekly in HP lab. I would say that I am more comfortable now taking a patient history and doing a Review of Systems because they really emphasized that during the first semester. They just hired a new HP Professor so I'm not sure how that will influence your HP learning experience. Also, you will participate in a Sensitive Patient Exam training day up in Erie during Spring Semester (involving the sensitive nature of conducting male/female genitalia examinations). Surprisingly, it was a really great experience and very professional. I don't think most first-year medical students at other schools can say they've had the same type of training.

Pros at LECOM-SH: Not as frigid as Erie, Great classmates, pretty good PBL facilitators, PBL studying and flexibility, the Sensitive Patient Exam training in Erie, Caring Administration (esp. our Dean), Helpful/Resourceful student organizations (OMM club, Family Med club, Surgery club), low tuition costs/cheap housing, driving distance to Pitt/Philly/Washington DC for annual conferences: Family Med Educational Consortium in Hershey (where some of my classmates and I received a student scholarship to participate), American College of Osteopathic Pediatricians Conference in Pitt, and DO Day in Washington DC

Cons at LECOM-SH:
-I'm used to big cities with lots of diversity and 24/7 cafes for studying, so Greensburg, PA was a major transition for me
-First week of class = too much wasted time on administrative stuff.
-In late July/early August, they really should have given us an adequate preview of Histology/Embryology/Gross Anatomy before throwing us into the deep end. And although I did really well in all Histo/Embryo , in general the teaching didn't match up with the material on the Final Exam. The person who wrote our Final Exams was from Bradenton and he had to fly over here the week before our Finals to tell us what we needed to focus on...prior to that, we were all pretty lost in the dense material in our books. If this will be the case again next year, I would highly recommend reading/skimming through the first several chapters of Histo/Embryo before starting school.
-Gross Anatomy: Where do I even begin...overall, the class did better than the national average on the Shelf, and I believe most of the class was in the B range. My only two complaints have to be the weekly group quizzes (which lowered everyone's grades and I didn't benefit in any way from participating in the Lab groups) and the short time-frame for us to "master" the human anatomy. Although we did ok as a class, it was the most stressful several months ever. And because of the massive amount of cramming, I feel like I've only retained so little from Histo/Embryo/Anatomy.
-Lack of PBL Exam Reviews: They don't go over the exams with you afterward....which means you'll never know which answers you got wrong and thus which specific areas you need to work on the most. Although we're provided the breakdown based on which subjects we chose (ex. 9/10 in Pathology, but 4/10 in Biochem...so I need to work on my Biochem), I'll never know which specific chapters or learning issues I need to review. This is incredibly frustrating for me even though the admin is mostly caring and works hard for us.

Overall, the PBL sessions are pretty fun/unique/engaging...I'm not sure if the PBL Pathway up in Erie experiences the same problems that I mentioned but if they didn't have these issues, than I probably would have selected Erie's PBL as my top choice instead.

Lastly: I noticed that your location is "Cali." I went to school out there and several of my friends here are from out west. I can talk forever about transitioning to PA...anyway hope all this helps and message me if you have additional concerns/questions!

Ahhh! I just got accepted! I can't wait!! :D

Could anyone be so kind as to answer some of my questions?!

I'm coming form California and would like to know if a car is recommended. I know in California it is :p .. If it is highly recommended I'm going to do a cross country drive!

Also, I'm looking for a possible roommate. I think my first year experience would go smoother if I was rooming with someone else who was going through the same thing! Any 1st years interested?

Thanks!

In the paperwork I have received it doesn't list the start date. When is the first day of class?

First day of class is Monday, July 25th. There is also a mandatory registration day on Saturday, July 23rd.

That mandatory day isnt so mandatory.. I myself got in the wednesday before classes started and, while I attended, they said it was "not imperative" that I attend that day.. essentially all you do is take pics for a photo ID, fill out some stupid forms for health insurance etc and register your laptop with IT. You can do all that in probably less time later in the week. Try to attend (good time ot meet people) but dont bend over backwards to.

a few tips...
1. There is no such thing as a syllabus week/blow off week here. You have a test most likely the second friday/3rd monday here. Enjoy summer and hit the ground running. If you can, read up on embryo and histo.. they are brutal.
2. Its going to be really hot and dress code will be awful, but it gets better.
3. You will spend more time on campus for the frst 12 weeks than you will will spend on campus for the entire 2nd semester.
4. All told, you have 4 days for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for X-mas break, and Martin Luther King Day. Those are your only days off from October to the end of May. I cannot stress enough how important it is to come in relaxed and rested. You will be mentally and physically exhausted by May.

I'm coming form California and would like to know if a car is recommended. I know in California it is :p .. If it is highly recommended I'm going to do a cross country drive!
Congratulations on getting into medical school!

You will definitely want a car here, so you should get your cross-country playlist ready...

Anyone with questions might consider visiting the facebook page, since many of us are not on sdn so much (especially the ms2's, what with step 1 coming up :eek: )

Hi everyone,

I just received the book list. I'm pretty excited - the topics look really interesting. Is this the book list for both first and second year? Would current students recommend buying the books, or does the library have enough copies of all (or some) of the books so that certain books don't need to be purchased? And lastly about books, I plan to buy most (if not all) of them used - do students sell their books to other students for cheap, or should I plan to be looking online for used copies?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I just received the book list. I'm pretty excited - the topics look really interesting. Is this the book list for both first and second year? Would current students recommend buying the books, or does the library have enough copies of all (or some) of the books so that certain books don't need to be purchased? And lastly about books, I plan to buy most (if not all) of them used - do students sell their books to other students for cheap, or should I plan to be looking online for used copies?

Thanks!

Yes... your book list is for both 1st and 2nd year... There may be a few books that get added later when you get to some modules (Health Care Management and Human Sexuality, etc... that's what they did to us). Yes the library does have copies of all the books... However I wouldn't depend on the library for the books... Books were stolen from the library this semester... So there is no guarantee they will be there. I would go ahead and look online for used copies... The MS-III's will already be gone by the time you get here... And we MS-IIs still need our books. Your other option is to look for the "international editions" of books... there are people in our class that did that and no trouble.

Interviewed 12/17
Portal Change 12/23
Acceptance Letter 12/31 - it was a very exciting end-of-the year surprise!

So, when did you submit your application? I am worried that my June 16 mcat will hurt my chances. Any advice?

WhitJord85, thanks for the advice!

So, when did you submit your application? I am worried that my June 16 mcat will hurt my chances. Any advice?
My advice would be to not go too crazy over it. Don't delay if you can help it, but don't get bent out of shape if you're not among the first ten people to submit your application (or the first 1,000).

I think LECOM received my application in September or October. I received an interview invite for early February, and then had my decision held up because my DO letter wasn't in. It took me about a month to get that taken care of, and then I found out in early April that I was accepted to my first choice of program and campus (PBL @ Seton Hill). Leading up to that point, I'd been reading on SDN that Seton Hill was full, so I was pleasantly surprised. (So there's another bit of advice - don't check this forum too often, and don't read everything as if it's the ultimate truth.)

Because LECOM does group interviews, it seems like they can grant more people interviews than other medical schools. I was a bit nervous about the group interview, but they're managed very well, actually. Of course, it's easy for me to say that when I was accepted through the process... :)

There is one potential disadvantage of having a very early interview with LECOM. While most other medical schools give you a deadline to fully commit to them, usually some time in late April or early May, LECOM wants you to commit within 30 days of receiving your acceptance, which usually comes within a week or two of your interview (assuming you don't have any missing letters). Committing means sending them a check for $1,500. That money goes toward your tuition, but you don't get it back if you commit and then withdraw. I understand why they do it and have no complaints about it, but it can be difficult if LECOM is your first acceptance but not your first choice, and if you're not made out of money (and let's face it - very few of us are).

I wouldn't try to hedge anything by applying to LECOM late, and I don't mean to say that when you apply doesn't matter. Just... don't worry too much :) Best of luck with your application, and with the MCAT! Stay positive!

So I've been hearing that the so-called "required" book list is a bit shady. Some students on the facebook page have been stating that some of the books are seldom used. Could someone give me a breakdown of the books. Which ones should I stay away from? Given, they all look important to me :confused:

Of course, I'll defer to a current SH student but I think the people saying you don't need books are LDP students at Erie - they are given Power Point slides in all their classes and can just study off of those. PBL is more independent study so I would think you'd need most of the books. Though I am sure there may be a few of the books that aren't so useful which one of the current students can clue us in on...

So I've been hearing that the so-called "required" book list is a bit shady. Some students on the facebook page have been stating that some of the books are seldom used. Could someone give me a breakdown of the books. Which ones should I stay away from? Given, they all look important to me :confused:

Some LDP kids in Erie don't use their books, is my understanding... but yes you need all your books in PBL... there is no other way to get the material... You don't get powerpoints to memorize. Questions on the exams come from the material covered in the book, and the only way to know what that is, is to get the books. I know it sucks, but look for used books, older editions and international versions if you are really concerned about the money... PS you get an allowance in your living expenses to account for books your first year.

I was looking at the LECOM Bradenton Class of 2015 facebook group and a current student posted this spreadsheet on what books to buy.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...rZFBkcmxkOUJDOEE&hl=en&authkey=CKLrrvQK#gid=0

Since both Seton Hill and Bradenton are LECOMs and are both PBL, the books are probably similar but I haven't checked. The google spreadsheet has what books you should buy and what you shouldn't. Can someone verify the accuracy of this spreadsheet?

I was looking at the LECOM Bradenton Class of 2015 facebook group and a current student posted this spreadsheet on what books to buy.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...rZFBkcmxkOUJDOEE&hl=en&authkey=CKLrrvQK#gid=0

Since both Seton Hill and Bradenton are LECOMs and are both PBL, the books are probably similar but I haven't checked. The google spreadsheet has what books you should buy and what you shouldn't. Can someone verify the accuracy of this spreadsheet?

This spreadsheet may hold true for Bradenton, but we use different books at Seton Hill. If the book is listed on the required list, buy it because it can and will at some point be a learning issue that you will be tested on. For all those worried about price and having money before classes begin... Ideally you would have them all, but some people can't afford them before they get their loan check... if you are in this boat... Make sure you have all the required Anatomy books, Embryo and Histo. You can make due with those for the first 2 weeks until you get your money... But then I would buy the books ASAP otherwise you will get behind in PBL and be scrambling when it comes time for the first PBL exam.

Hey all, so just a word of advice. If you have questions feel free to ask the upperclassman. Make sure you check out the facebook page. This is a good way to get in contact with upperclassman and especially 3rd years. I can say we can really help you out. We only wish we had someone to talk with but we were totally on our own.

As for books check out the facebook page. There is a good discussion going on about books.

Last edited: