LECOM-SH vs PNWU 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNWU or LECOM

• PNWU

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • LECOM

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

curiouscomparison

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would sincerely appreciate your perspective/opinion about which program is better for me, given the following pros and cons (and your own considerations that you think I should factor in).

PNWU
pros
-closer to family and home (they all want me to stay closer as well)
-curriculum is probably more suited to me
-the school feels like a school that is student-focused
-partner (supportive) is happier here

cons
-15k more expensive tuition/year (could be about 100k total more by the end of the program giving cost of living comparisons)
-match lists are more primary care oriented (this is their mission, admittedly)
-newer than LECOM (established 2008)
-mix of preceptor and traditional rotations. Have heard good and bad things.
-2.5 weeks of dedicated

Non-factors
-Location of Yakima, WA is more rural
-Higher crime rate in Yakima

LECOM-SH
pros
-15k cheaper tuition
-match lists have more specialization/ACGME
-solid rotations
-slightly cheaper cost of living
-more established
-more than 2.5 weeks of dedicated I think

cons
-I think I could succeed in PBL but am not super excited about it
-unsure how I feel about Seton hill/PA in general given that I am from WA and all family is in WA
-program feels bare-boned (abstractly I know this is okay for a pre-clinical education, but the bells and whistles of a cadaver lab and patient simulation rooms, etc seem nice)
-mandatory attendance (though there isn't much attendance)
-strict rules in general

Non-factors
-dress code

Generally, I am reluctant to choose a program that will cost me 100k more (maybe 150k+ after I end up paying it all back) and don't want to ignore the data that suggests LECOM could fare better in the post-merger world (at the very least it has fared better in the past) when it comes to specialties. BUT, I feel that proximity to family and the setup of curriculum and sense of community at PNWU is preferable. At what point are these preferences worth 100k+??

@Goro feel free to get in here with your "do you prefer x or x" line. I don't recall what you say for either location and that would be instrumental in my choice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did LECOM-SH and I’m happy with my choice, and I know next to nothing about PNWU, but your pros for PNWU are stronger than your pros for LECOM, especially if you’re not thrilled with the idea of PBL. Curriculum fit and personal fit are important.

Note: I’m not knocking my own school here. If OP had different things listed in pros and cons, I might vote the other way.