Lecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplesays

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at LECOM on the 28th of October. I would appreciate any tips/suggestions from people who have recently interviewed or are currently students at LECOM. Anyone else interviewing on the 28th? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just be prepared for a 3 v 1 interview, semi-stressful. Also be ready to read a short article and be able to give a short summary during your interview.

I didn't mind the rules and regs they have (dress code, food rules, etc) but some people can't stand it. Professionalism shouldn't start at the end of the 4th year in my opinion...

GOOD LUCK!

P.S. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE double check your wardrobe bag and make sure you packed everything, I had the serious misfortune of accidently leaving my pants at home! luckily I stayed with one of my buddies who's a first-year there and borrowed his! "wow, thats stress"

Here's an e-mail I received from somene who attended LECOM. Maybe it'll give you some insight.

"LECOM is an excellent medical school and it definitely prepared me well for internship and residency. The classes were well structured and set up as a systems approach. This meant that your first year you took all the basic classes like anatomy, biochem, pharmacy, etc. Then you studied each system of the body like cardio. You study anatomy, physiology, pharm, etc all about cardio and then moved onto the next system. I liked this very much. The rotations were great. You have a lot of hospitals to choose from big, small and get a feel for where and what you want to do when you are finished. This worked out great for me.
As for the osteopathic ideas, they emphasize treating the body as a whole instead of as each disease separately. You learn a lot of manipulation techniques, which some people use throughout their practice and others don't. Some people just use them on friends and family. As for the rest of medicine, it is all the same as MD's".

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like several DO schools that I looked at.

Ugh.....ok so LECOM requires one letter from your premed committee or 2 letters from 2 science professors.....so i had my pre-med advisor write me a letter. I just talked to the admisssion office and she is telling me that the premed advsior letter isnt the same as a premed committee letter and that Im going to have to have another teacher write me a letter!! Does that sound right? Wouldnt you think that premed committee and premed advisor would be basically the same? Anyone else have a problem with this?

I don't have one, but I believe a pre-med committee is made up of 2-4 professors who all meet to discuss students. They form a consensus about him/her the write the letter which everyone signs. For me the big problem is getting a DO letter. It's always something :) .

Simplesays
I have an interview on the 24th at LECOM, I'll post something on here afterwards and let you know how it went. Good luck!:D

Premed Committee and Premed Advisor are in fact not the same for the LOR requirements. Basically they want more than one persons opinion of you. Since committees tend to be made up of 2-5 people, most schools prefer the consensus letter.

Beware, schools that actually have committees are usually known and if you are applying from a school that has a committee but you aren't able to get a letter from them due to schedule conflicts, this could come up when the med schools are reviewing your file. So make sure to have your premed advisor include remarks about the fact that it isn't a poor reflection that you don't have a committee letter, just that the committee won't meet again for 6 months or whatever the reason.

My school has one of these committees and they only review your file between March and April each year. They make you do a group interview and require that the MCAT be taken and three LORs before they will interview you. As a result, if you don't meet the deadlines, you are out of luck for a letter from the committee for that application cycle.

My school doesnt have a pre med committee, we only have 1 premed advisor......i just asked another one of my professors to write me a letter so i'll just have the two from science professors ..oh well

really? We got 1 pre med advisor as well but the committee is usually just professors who agree to interview you either as a group or one by one. Our pre med advisor doens't participate in it either, he just writes the cover letter for the the committee thing. And then it has 2 letters from the committee.

I did mine yesterday finally.

How many applicants per interivew group?

Also, does anyone know how many are interviews LECOM offers?

My friend who goes there said something like 4000+ applications total and about 2000 interviews for 200 positions....

something along those lines...

I think someone eluded to the answer, but if I send in my LECOM secondary with everything except a DO LOR (working on it) will any decisions be made concerning my application before it arrives?