left corporate america, working on pre-reqs... need vote of confidence!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoneCrazy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to SDN as a member, but have been perusing the forums for several months now. I'm a 26 year old female that has been working in government relations and marketing since I graduated with a BA in 2006. I've always wanted to be in the Dentist- since I was a kid. I always looked up to an uncle of mine who has his own practice and yet didn't even start dental school till he was 28!

But- I left my job as an account manager about a month ago and have moved back into my parents house, started waiting tables and bartending, and am taking classes at a state school nearby. I'm working pre-requisites individually, as opposed to a post-bacc program, because of the cost and the location (I can take what I need where I am now and live with mom and dad!).

My questions I'm posing is this- it's seems to be a slow process getting to the bulk of my science courses because I need two math courses to get the chem underway. Is there anyone on here that was in a similiar situation- in that you worked on your pre-reqs individually and not in a structured program? If there is anyone on here like this- could you offer up what your class schedule looked like? What you took Fall, Spring, Summer and so on. Please bear in mind I am taking one math course right now and plan to start the bulk of my classes in the Fall. :xf:

Everyone seems very supportive- and it's nice to see there are so many people out there in similar situations. Hopefully someone can offer up some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I see that you have GoneCrazy :smuggrin:

You actually don't need a vote of confidence. You took a major step quitting your job and getting on with your Pre-reqs. (eventhough it is hard to see that you have a bachelor in accounting and you do not have the required math. I know for most schools some math, biol I&II and chem I&II and phys I&II are core curr and must be taken regardless.)
However, whatever your situation, you are in a right track. It could be slow, but remember one step at a time and do not bring age into equation. I know so many people much older who decided to go to Dental or Medical School while had a family to support.

GoodLuck

I was in a similar situation - I used to work in corporate america before deciding I want to be a dentist. I made the decision to become a dentist in 2007. In the spring semester of 2008, I took calculus I at night school while still working at my job and saving money. I quit my job in June 2008 and took summer chem (1 & 2). In the fall of 2008 I took bio 1, ochem 1, and physics 1. Then I finished these 3 classes in spring 2009. I was not working when I took these classes - they consumed my life. I applied over the summer of 2009. In the fall of 2009, I got a part time job, I took biochem and A&P1, and traveled to interviews. This spring I'm taking psychology (finally! my last prereq!).

I will start dental school in fall 2010 (I will be 30 by then). I feel like I've been working toward this goal for so long, and I haven't even started dental school yet! It's unfortunate the process takes so long, but I guess it filters out people who aren't that motivated. Besides, what else was I going to do? The alternative was staying in a corporate job that I hated.

I took my classes in part of a postbac program, but it was very flexible, and you could take the classes in whatever schedule you want. My advice is to try to get gen chem out of the way ASAP - at my school it was a prereq for ochem, and it was strongly recommended as a prereq for bio. You must have taken some math courses in college. Is there anyone you can talk to about counting those classes? (so you can take gen chem right away)

The number of classes you can take at once will also depend on the hours you work as a server/bartender. Do you have enough savings and/or family support to take classes full-time and not work? Try not to drag out your prereqs. In terms of total lifetime earnings, one extra year of working as a dentist will more than offset factors such as private vs public postbac, or waiting tables vs not working. But you may need some loans in the meantime.

There were times where it was difficult and I thought I was going to fail and not get in to dental school (also knowing that I had thrown my old career away). I used this fear to help motivate me to study harder than I ever had before. If you want it badly enough, you will make it happen.

Congrats on the career change and I wish you all the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a friend in my class who worked in finance for years, but now he's started dental school at 32 and doing fine. Good luck, you can do it if you set your mind to it!

Hello all,

I'm new to SDN as a member, but have been perusing the forums for several months now. I'm a 26 year old female that has been working in government relations and marketing since I graduated with a BA in 2006. I've always wanted to be in the Dentist- since I was a kid. I always looked up to an uncle of mine who has his own practice and yet didn't even start dental school till he was 28!

But- I left my job as an account manager about a month ago and have moved back into my parents house, started waiting tables and bartending, and am taking classes at a state school nearby. I'm working pre-requisites individually, as opposed to a post-bacc program, because of the cost and the location (I can take what I need where I am now and live with mom and dad!).

My questions I'm posing is this- it's seems to be a slow process getting to the bulk of my science courses because I need two math courses to get the chem underway. Is there anyone on here that was in a similiar situation- in that you worked on your pre-reqs individually and not in a structured program? If there is anyone on here like this- could you offer up what your class schedule looked like? What you took Fall, Spring, Summer and so on. Please bear in mind I am taking one math course right now and plan to start the bulk of my classes in the Fall. :xf:

Everyone seems very supportive- and it's nice to see there are so many people out there in similar situations. Hopefully someone can offer up some advice!

welcome! i was a business major in college, too. i graduated with my finance degree back in 2005, but decided it wasn't for me, so i switched to pre-dental right after graduating. i took all my science classes at my local U starting with bio 1 and chem 1. i continued to take all the pre-reqs a la carte and got into DS last year at age 26. i'm now finishing up my D1 year. it all sounds so easy now, but i know that going thru that post-bacc route was a long and hard fought journey. just keep your eyes on the prize, especially when you feel broken and lost. remember, there's a light at the end!

please feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. i love helping my fellow non-trads and post-baccs who find dentistry a little bit later in life!

I was an engineer for 6 years before quitting and focusing full-time on dental school. I met with a admissions advisors at respective dental schools, and they looked at my transcripts and told me what would count and what I'd still need to take. VERY BENEFICIAL!!

While working, I did take some pre-req's (generally 2 at night per semester). I started with chem I and biology. From there, I had the ochem professor sign off to let me take ochem I at the same time I took chem II, something I highly recommend you do. I applied last summer, with plenty of pre-req's still to take, and continued to work (commuting 200 miles a day!) I was accepted Dec. 09, but I still had 22 credits left to take to finish all the pre-req's. I quit my job Jan 2010, and I'm currently taking ochem II, microbiology with lab, biochem, english comp, psych, and A&P with lab...it sucks, for sure, but I just keep thinking about the fact that I'm starting dental school in July (I'm 27) and how much work I've already put in to get there.

Don't get yourself down. Don't think about the time. Just do what you can, however you can, and if possible, push yourself a little out of the comfort zone. People tell me I'm nuts to take 22 credits in one term, but you'll be doing that and more in dental school!

PM me with any specific questions.

I was in a similar situation - I used to work in corporate america before deciding I want to be a dentist. I made the decision to become a dentist in 2007. In the spring semester of 2008, I took calculus I at night school while still working at my job and saving money. I quit my job in June 2008 and took summer chem (1 & 2). In the fall of 2008 I took bio 1, ochem 1, and physics 1. Then I finished these 3 classes in spring 2009. I was not working when I took these classes - they consumed my life. I applied over the summer of 2009. In the fall of 2009, I got a part time job, I took biochem and A&P1, and traveled to interviews. This spring I'm taking psychology (finally! my last prereq!).

I will start dental school in fall 2010 (I will be 30 by then). I feel like I've been working toward this goal for so long, and I haven't even started dental school yet! It's unfortunate the process takes so long, but I guess it filters out people who aren't that motivated. Besides, what else was I going to do? The alternative was staying in a corporate job that I hated.

I took my classes in part of a postbac program, but it was very flexible, and you could take the classes in whatever schedule you want. My advice is to try to get gen chem out of the way ASAP - at my school it was a prereq for ochem, and it was strongly recommended as a prereq for bio. You must have taken some math courses in college. Is there anyone you can talk to about counting those classes? (so you can take gen chem right away)

The number of classes you can take at once will also depend on the hours you work as a server/bartender. Do you have enough savings and/or family support to take classes full-time and not work? Try not to drag out your prereqs. In terms of total lifetime earnings, one extra year of working as a dentist will more than offset factors such as private vs public postbac, or waiting tables vs not working. But you may need some loans in the meantime.

There were times where it was difficult and I thought I was going to fail and not get in to dental school (also knowing that I had thrown my old career away). I used this fear to help motivate me to study harder than I ever had before. If you want it badly enough, you will make it happen.

Congrats on the career change and I wish you all the best!

This is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing;)

I know I made the right choice- and frankly the respones are inspiring! I guess I was getting frustrated cause it's feeling more and like it's going to take forever. I'm motivated and fully aware of my capabilities- I just need to remind myself what my eventual goal is when I get frustrated with the lack of classes available this summer. It also doesn't help that my advisor isn't exactly helpful.

There are some specific question I do have for those of you that offered up the option to PM you should I have any, but silly question here maybe- how do I PM? I would really like to talk to some of you directly!

My friend is starting at 36. He always did better than traditional students because he approached his classes with such seriousness, it seems to be a pattern with non-traditional students. Good luck, you'll do great SDN is an amazing resource and there are so many people who've done what u want to do, definitely possible!

How to PM:<----- On the left click the member's name once and you'll see 'send a private message to...'
To check them: Upper right hand corner of your browser you'll see your own moniker and underneath it 'private messages.'

I graduated with a bachelors degree in business and now I've decided to go towards the dental field as well!! Heading back to take my pre-requisites now...:( I know how you feeling.. it seems like its so long from now. I'm just trying to keep my eyes on the prize right now and I know its going to be worth it.

Update me on your progress :laugh:

hi!
i'm in a pretty similar situation to you and currently about to finish my first semester of pre-reqs.

graduated in 2007 with a finance degree, worked as an analyst for a major corporation for 2.5 years, and decided the job/field wasnt for me and i wanted to do something in healthcare. i will be 26 when i start.

i moved back home and enrolled in the state school in my hometown as well (cheap! and my old company is picking up the tab)

anyway first semester that's about to finish looked like this: chem1, bio1, physics1, bio1 lab. i have finals next week but am basically lined up to make a 4.0.

i think school is a lot easier this time around because i'm used to working a 9-5 day so i keep myself occupied with everything/anything school during those hours. the work ethic comes naturally. also being 24 in classes with 18-19 year olds, the maturity difference is huge which translates into making better grades and being more dedicated.

i'm taking chem 2 during a speedy spring intercession (13 days, 3 hrs a day), and chem2 lab/physics lab/bio 2 this summer. then orgo1/microbio/physics2 next fall. applying next spring!

good luck on the decision and in taking the plunge. i'm sure you'll do great.

It is so nice to see that there are people in the same boat as me! I went to school for dental hygiene and graduated with an associates degree. I am starting this summer with pre-dental/biology classes. I realized that I wanted more responsibility and took the leap towards dentistry. I am 28, about to broke all over again and feel better than I have in a long time! :)

My story is identical to yours. Graduated in 2006 in business...worked in the corporate world for the past four years. About to finish my MBA, then quit my job in six weeks to start my pre-reqs.

It's a big step, but also an exciting transition. Don't look back...just look forward and achieve your goals. PM me if you want further information. Also, people like us, who are in similar situations, should keep in touch with each other via emails.

It'd be nice for us to have communication with each other and learn from each others' experiences. We should get an email thread going...what do you guys think?

Hello all,

Actually, you are doing post-bacc, its just informal post bacc which is the same thing I started doing about 3 years ago.

your situation is VERY much like mine. I was a software engineer from 2005 till early 2009. In 2006, I decided to go after dentistry (shadowed my sister ~ dentist, and started to think about it).

Anyways, In January 2007, I started taking post-bacc (just like you). Being a computer science major, I had zero pre-reqs (no biologies, no chemistrys, nothing but physics lol).

the only major difference I did was I wasn't crazy like you :) I did not quit my job right away. From 2007 till early 2009, I was doing post-bacc as a part-time student and working fulltime in my software job. In 2009, after I quit my job, I also moved back to my partents house and continued to push through my classes. Today, after 54 credits of post-bacc on a solid 4.0 run, I am finally ready to take the next major step and apply to dental schools this coming June.

Trust me, many people have gone through what your doing right now, you are DEFINITELY on the right path towards dentistry. I also remember at times, esspecially early on in my post-bacc studies, I used to get discouraged cause there were SOOOOO MANY more classes to take, I used to always tell my self "omg when am I EVER going to finish all this garbage? I still need general chem 1, 2, thier labs, freaking biology 1, 2, and labs, orgo 1, 2, and labs, and then some upper level sciences... OMG IM NEVER GOING TO FINISH"...... But trust me, work them 1 semester at a time, you will eventually finish.

Good luck to ya