Legitimacy of review articles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bruno692693

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just graduated and am currently applying to medical school. In the last year I published two review articles together with a surgeon on surgical techniques. He just asked me to write another review article which just was approved through presubmission at a major surgical journal (impact factor 2.7) and I'll be first author if I write it up and it is fully accepted. However, this will be my fourth review article (I have another currently out for review) and I'm wondering how this looks? 2 of the reviews are in kinda trash journals on pubmed (impact factor under .5)
 
Last edited:
I don't see how it could be used against you. Publishing a review is a big deal - perhaps not as big of a deal as an original article in a highly-regarded journal but an accomplishment no less.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for responding! I asked because I was talking to a resident about it and he seemed to look down upon the "fluff" articles as he called them.