Legitimacy of review articles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruno692693

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated and am currently applying to medical school. In the last year I published two review articles together with a surgeon on surgical techniques. He just asked me to write another review article which just was approved through presubmission at a major surgical journal (impact factor 2.7) and I'll be first author if I write it up and it is fully accepted. However, this will be my fourth review article (I have another currently out for review) and I'm wondering how this looks? 2 of the reviews are in kinda trash journals on pubmed (impact factor under .5)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't see how it could be used against you. Publishing a review is a big deal - perhaps not as big of a deal as an original article in a highly-regarded journal but an accomplishment no less.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a great opportunity, if it's open to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding! I asked because I was talking to a resident about it and he seemed to look down upon the "fluff" articles as he called them.