Legitimacy of this extracurricular in "work/activities" section of AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WRL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a medical student who withdrew from my medical school and needs to re-apply to get into either the same school again or a new one. My main reasons for leaving was that I was not ready for the course load or level of complexity.
My question is: in my next application, can I put CITIZEN SCIENCE in the work/activities section?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am a medical student who withdrew from my medical school and needs to re-apply to get into either the same school again or a new one. My main reasons for leaving was that I was not ready for the course load or level of complexity.
My question is: in my next application, can I put CITIZEN SCIENCE in the work/activities section?

That depends. What exactly is citizen science?

Reactions: 2 users
Citizen science is a grassroots approach to research, in which labs outsource time-demanding data analysis to the public.

Members don't see this ad :)
In particular, I have been interested in volunteering through Cornell University's Stall Catchers citizen science computer application, which requires identifying stalled vessels in mice, which in turn, would be used by Cornell's researchers to better understand Alzheimer's disease. I see pluses and minuses in this as a part of my AMCAS app, but I would imagine it could be in there if I reached some landmark in my effort (time or performance-wise).

Applicants who were previous matriculants are rare.
The best chances (depending on the reason for the withdrawal/dismissal) are usually with the school from which you withdrew.
Any school considering your application is likely to contact your Student Affairs dean for more information on the nature of the withdrawal.

Regarding your query, I recommend describing your activity as research and giving specifics as indicated.

If you are the person in your avatar, may I suggest the protection of your anonymity online?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I have to give you a warning: your chances are extremely low. You'd be DOA at my school.

Reactions: 1 users
Forget re-applying you'll be wasting your time. Get on the horn to your old dean and start begging for another shot.

Reactions: 1 user