Length of Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a website that lists the lengths of the various residency programs depending on the specialty? Some are easy (ie pediatrics and FP = 3 years) but what about the more complicated ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Emergency Medicine 3 years

Family Practice 3 years

Internal Medicine 3 years

Pediatrics 3 years

Obstetrics-Gynecology 4 years

Pathology 4 years

Psychiatry 4 years

General Surgery 5 years

Neurological Surgery 6 years (includes 1 year of general surgery)

Orthopaedic Surgery 5 years (includes 1 year of general surgery)

Otolaryngology 5 years (includes 1 year of general surgery)

Urology 5 years (includes 1 year of general surgery)

Plastic Surgery 5-6 years (includes 3 years of general surgery)

Anesthesiology 3 years plus PGY-1 Transitional/Preliminary

Dermatology 3 years plus PGY-1 Transitional/Preliminary

Neurology 3 years plus PGY-1 Transitional/Preliminary

Ophthalmology 3 years plus PGY-1 Transitional/Preliminary

Physical Medicine 3 years plus PGY-1 Transitional/Preliminary

Diagnostic Radiology 4 years plus PGY-1 Transitional/Preliminary

Radiation Oncology 4 years plus PGY-1 Transitional/Preliminary

Transitional/Preliminary 1 year

Taken from the WUSTL SOM website. It doesn't include duration of subspecialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for listing that out....gives at least a vague idea of life after med school.

what's PGY-1 ? :confused:

noclouds said:
thanks for listing that out....gives at least a vague idea of life after med school.

what's PGY-1 ? :confused:

I believe that is the first year of residency. I have seen PGY followed by a number to designate which year you are in the residency program hence PGY-4 would mean you are a 4th year resident! :)

Allergy and Immunology 2-3 yrs (after Peds or IM) $91,000 to $181,000.

Anesthesiology 4 yrs $242,886 to $334,121

Colon and Rectal Surgery 5 yrs Gen Sg + 1 $158,000 to $318,000

Dermatology 3 yrs +1 $126,000 to $259,000

Emergency Medicine 3 yrs (1-2 more for sub-spec) $178,296 to $224,240.

Family Practice 3 yrs $146,000 to $165,599.

Internal Medicine 3 yrs (1-3 sub spec) $150,000 to $179,000.

Neurological Surgery 5-7 yrs (incl 1 gen sg) $187,000 to $400,000

Neurology 3+1 yrs $152,100 to $220,883

Obstetrics and Gynecology 4 yrs (+2 yrs clinical) $215,000 to $270,000

Ophthalmology 3+ 1 yrs $129,000 to $287,000

Urology 5yrs $243,000 to $334,000.

General Surgery 5 yrs $217,000 to $291,000

Radiology 4 + 1 yrs $192,000 to $386,000

Thoracic Surgery 5 + 2-3 yrs $196,000 to $496,000

Psychiatry 4 yrs $131,000 to $164,000.

Preventive Medicine 3 yrs (includes a MPH) $80,000 to $183,000

Plastic Surgery 3-5 gen seg + 2-3 $153,000 to $410,000

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 1+ 3 yrs $123,000 to $183,000

Pediatrics 3 yrs $145,000 to $168,000

Pathology 3-6 yrs $167,000 to $294,489

Otolaryngology 1 + 4 yrs $155,000 to $304,000

Orthopaedic Surgery 1+4 yrs $190,000 to $364,000

Are those salaries accurate? I know a lot of physicians in those fields that are making quite a bit more than what is indicated in those ranges. Are they national averages or are they min and max ranges?

Here is a great site for residency info from a washu page. There is a drop down menu on the right side and you can pick a resdiency. what is great about this site is that it tells you how competitive the residency has been over the last few years, i.e. trends. Very interesting to see which ones are falling in and out of favor.

For example, you'll note that the match rate for Derm has fallen from about 75% in 2000 to about 50% in 2003. Wow!

http://medicine.wustl.edu/~residenc/outside/home/

Are these salary estimates based on salaries earned working for a hospital or some other kind of job, or are they based on private practice estimates?

Members don't see this ad :)
G0S2 said:

I got the salary info from the AAMC website ..... it doesn't say if it is mean or median salary range ....... or hospital vs private etc. It just mentions that the annual salary range is blah blah.....well there will always be people above and below that range ........ :)

how does one get into cardiac surgery? do u have to do a general surgery first and then subspecialize?

canada said:
how does one get into cardiac surgery? do u have to do a general surgery first and then subspecialize?

good question?????????????

canada said:

AFAIK, you do a 5 year general surgery residency, then you do a ~2 year ct surgery fellowship (the exact length varies from program to program). Many times people don't go straight in from general surgery residency though. Because CTSurg is so competitive, I think a significant portion of applicants choose to take a year or two off after residency to do purely research.

Edit: I have also heard of 6 or 7-year combined CTSurg programs that you can match into straight out of med school. Not sure if this is true or not. Does anyone know of actual examples?

NRAI2001 said:
Are those salaries accurate? I know a lot of physicians in those fields that are making quite a bit more than what is indicated in those ranges. Are they national averages or are they min and max ranges?

I would guess they are the national averages. salaries will vary regional and of course increase with years in practice.

Canadian cardiac surgery residencies are integrated (no gen surgery then cardiac). I know at Toronto it's expected that there will be a significant amount of research during that time, if not an actual graduate degree.

If you're doing pediatric surgery, there's another couple years tacked on (puts the total for pediatric cardiac surgery to about 10 years).

You will find that these are all just guidlines for residency. it doesn't encompass combination programs and definately doesn't encompass fellowships. Also, some fields have residencies that are a little different (ie trauma surg can be 7 years or 5 depending on the program).

EM can be a 3 year (most of them) or a 4 year (1-4 programs and 2-4 programs)
I have a friend that is in a 9 year gen surg program that encompasses a PhD. So, it really depends on what you want to do. As a general guide, just look at the AAMC site and figureout what you are interested in. A good rule is that at the bare minimum, you willb e spending at least 3 years in residency.

What about trauma surgery? Would you have to do general surgery first and then a sub-specialty? I am really interested in EM, but I wanted to find out more about trauma surgery. When I do searches online nothing ever seems to come up about it. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

AWhitehair

a silly ? concerning a choice of neurology and having completed that residency for a # of years and then choose to go into neurosurgery. will that person have to start all over and have to do the 4 plus years of neurosurgery training or will it be a shorter time frame. thanks

The choice between neurology and neurosurgery is never made by people about to match. One attracts hard core gunners and one attracts non-gunners(but quirky non-gunners). One is obviously procedural and one isn't without the rare neurologist who does a pain fellowship. More realistic choices would be Ortho vs. Neurosurg and Neurology vs. Psychiatry.