Less Competitive UK Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sodapop

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know all med schools are hard to get into but we all know that there are some which are more lenient in accepting students. Could you please list some of those for me?

Members don't see this ad.

www.ucas.com gives information for the required grades for each medical school. There's some discrepancy between schools, but not as much as you might think.

I don't think there are any which are 'more lenient' in accepting students. However different schools will have different selection policies. The best advice would be to see if there is a school that has a stated admissions policy that may favour your own circumstanes. Many schools are committed to "widening access" (whatever that means) and so may look more favourably on applications from mature students, those with access or non standard qualifications, or even those from deprived areas locally (I think Leeds/Bradford has a scheme like this?). If you want to maximise your chances you need to check carefully on the various admissions criteria each school uses and only apply to places where you feel you have a good chance of meeting them. Here's a link with some information on numbers of applicants per place that may also be useful to you.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we substitute the MCAT for the UKCAT?

No. Most UK schools require specifically the UKCAT, and only VERY FEW (e.g. Edinburg and Glasgow) specifically ask for the MCAT if you're from North America. For the UKCAT, you need to hurry -- the deadline to register is Sep 29 (this Friday).

www.ukcat.ac.uk

No. Most UK schools require specifically the UKCAT, and only VERY FEW (e.g. Edinburg and Glasgow) specifically ask for the MCAT if you're from North America. For the UKCAT, you need to hurry -- the deadline to register is Sep 29 (this Friday).

www.ukcat.ac.uk
Edinburgh asks for no lower thean 9, 9, 10 on each section of the MCAT.

The U.K. is pretty inflexible once the rules are posted. Without speaking to any schools, I'm 99.99% sure the answer will be no if you ask to substitute the MCAT for the UKCAT. I think you'll have to bite the bullet and take it.