Let's get hawt before OMM thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NontradCA

American Hero
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, like me, that you are all vain and thinking about showing off your hard work in the gym when it comes to getting all handsy in OMM lab.

Feel free to discuss exercise/nutrition tips for main ting through med school and looking better and being more efficient with OMM.

I'm currently at the end of a strength phase in which I gained about 30 lbs over the course of the application cycle. I've gained considerable amount of muscle and now looking to lose fat so I look good in OMM lab and have dem ladies gawking.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
But.. I'm already hot...

Reactions: 2 users
You mean like this?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Considering going vegan because I cut sugar and dairy by 90% and feel fantastic.
Vegans are the leanest people around so that should help with the hawtness factor.
OMM on classmates is like, my worst nightmare. I'm sure it's a great icebreaker though.

With a body like SLJ, I'm definitely jealous.

I did hypertrophy training for about 10 weeks where I gained 25lbs and nearly tripled my regular lifts. It was awesome...But that was over a year ago and now I'm almost 40lbs from where I started and trying to cut down to the leanest possible while maintaining the same lifting regimen...Bands and cardio on off days, slow-tempo lifts for the on days. Low-carb, GF, high-fat and protein diet. So far I'm down 5lbs from when I started in February.

Oh, I also have a grip/hand/finger strength exerciser that I imagine will come in handy when it comes time to perform OMM on someone of equal mass.

I know, like me, that you are all vain and thinking about showing off your hard work in the gym when it comes to getting all handsy in OMM lab.

Feel free to discuss exercise/nutrition tips for main ting through med school and looking better and being more efficient with OMM.

I'm currently at the end of a strength phase in which I gained about 30 lbs over the course of the application cycle. I've gained considerable amount of muscle and now looking to lose fat so I look good in OMM lab and have dem ladies gawking.

Its' true! Sugar is the enemy, for sure. And the invisible sugar content of milk and dairy products is equally as upsetting. I cut out sugar and gluten for a few weeks and felt incredible.

Considering going vegan because I cut sugar and dairy by 90% and feel fantastic.
Vegans are the leanest people around so that should help with the hawtness factor.
OMM on classmates is like, my worst nightmare. I'm sure it's a great icebreaker though.

Reactions: 1 user
This might work for women. It's hard to build muscle as a vegan.

Very true. Though even for women, if you're trying to thin out without toning muscle, it's going to take much, much longer than doing strength training/toning and including a few eggs/fish in their diet. Plus, IMO, a toned girl has more of a hawt factor than a "thigh-gap" girl.

I won't discount that going vegan feels great, vegans have high alkaline diets which really gets the body and brain functioning at max capacity. Include some eggs and maybe some fish into the vegan diet to max out your protein and w-3's and it would build muscle without losing the 'feel good' effect for both men and women.

Train and do cardio 5x a week.

Train and do cardio 5x a week.
I would, but that's just too much cardio. I wouldn't be able to be on a calorie deficit AND do this. I might just up calories and do more cardio. I remember during mountain warfare training, I ate something like 4k calories a day, still lost 5 lbs over a month and was stronger.

I'm planning on staying consistent with this bulk until sometime in June, then maybe start to cut back the cals or up the cardio (can't decide which is worse). I get epic spare tire syndrome when I bulk, whilst the rest of my body is still lean/vascular, even well defined mid-upper abdomen - thank you scumbag body.

I would, but that's just too much cardio. I wouldn't be able to be on a calorie deficit AND do this. I might just up calories and do more cardio. I remember during mountain warfare training, I ate something like 4k calories a day, still lost 5 lbs over a month and was stronger.
Haha. Consider yourself lucky. Nothing wrong with a fast metabolism. I'm on the faster side but I'm coming off a bulk so trying to lose about 20 lbs .

How are you guys able to gain so quickly? I lift consistently but haven't put on any weight for a couple years haha.. Fast metabolism. Considering buying some gluten free weight gaining powder.. anybody tried something like this?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys able to gain so quickly? I lift consistently but haven't put on any weight for a couple years haha.. Fast metabolism. Considering buying some gluten free weight gaining powder.. anybody tried something like this?
Did you ever calculate your macros? Maybe you didn't eat much.

It's just eating food. It doesn't have much to do with the exercise in my opinion. I was putting on a pound a week. You really have to eat and eat and eat. I personally didn't worry about macros other than protein and just ate stuff that I enjoyed. I miss my 15 Oreos before bed :(.

Problem is too many people want "lean gains"… While this is possible (to an extent), it takes LOTS of time, or you can just hop on a cycle of some potent "vitamins" to expedite the process. For the majority, lean mass gains usually tag along their buddy, FAT. Like others said, only way to make the gains is EAT. Then eat some more. Who cares if you start to get fluffy around the edges, that can easily be trimmed down when the time comes.

If u're not hawt, just know that palpating through a bunch of adipose tissue is more difficult, so you'll be the go to guy for those really wishing to hone their senses.

Edit 4/20: wrote palpitating, not palpating. the fatty on the table may be palpitating through a bunch of adipose tissue as you frantically search for bony landmarks

Last edited:
Hey... I'm actually trying to start myself on some kind of exercise routine. I'm relatively skinny already, just trying to actually get some muscle tone and such. Does anyone have some pointers for someone just starting out? I really have no idea where to begin.

Yeah, then watch as your OMM lab mates just get chunkier and more out of shape by the end of OMS1.

Unless you were that type who picked Gym over sleep and social life.

That's a good thought, I've been trying to eat more but haven't been actively counting

It's just eating food. It doesn't have much to do with the exercise in my opinion. I was putting on a pound a week. You really have to eat and eat and eat. I personally didn't worry about macros other than protein and just ate stuff that I enjoyed. I miss my 15 Oreos before bed :(.

Yeah, even when you are trying to bulk it is important to track how much calories you are intaking. If something is not working, then you could see what you can up more like, carbs or protein intake. I have met lots of hardgainers, it just takes more food, but eventually you can gain some weight.

Last edited:
If u're not hawt, just know that palpitating through a bunch of adipose tissue is more difficult, so you'll be the go to guy for those really wishing to hone their senses.
In the words of the late, great Pilsbury Doughboy, "Mhmm!"

Hey... I'm actually trying to start myself on some kind of exercise routine. I'm relatively skinny already, just trying to actually get some muscle tone and such. Does anyone have some pointers for someone just starting out? I really have no idea where to begin.

bodybuilding.com
pick a plan, watch videos on techniques
work out, eat well
enjoy gains

For the people who lift more than once a week, are you always tired? After I lift heavy I always feel like sleeping for 2 hrs, then I am generally to exhausted to do much for the rest of the day. Of course sleeping in the middle of the day and being exhausted will not work in med school. How do you guys combat fatigue? Running actually energizes me,( unless in doing a sprint workout) so I tend to do that more.

Did you ever calculate your macros? Maybe you didn't eat much.

For the people who lift more than once a week, are you always tired? After I lift heavy I always feel like sleeping for 2 hrs, then I am generally to exhausted to do much for the rest of the day. Of course sleeping in the middle of the day and being exhausted will not work in med school. How do you guys combat fatigue? Running actually energizes me,( unless in doing a sprint workout) so I tend to do that more.

That sounds like over-working. Sure, working out hard will wear you out. That's kind of the point. Make sure you're eating enough. Maybe back off how much you're doing. Take a rest day or light day. Get plenty of sleep.

no simple carbs. tons of meat, egg whites and greek yogurt. 3 days on 1 day off. day 1=push/day 2=pull/day 3=legs. bayum

I've just kinda been into bodybuilding and fitness since I was 18. I love this stuff.

Especially after a heavy day, I'm always tired after and feel like sleeping even when I need to study. It really pisses me off lol

I used to lift 6 days a week for a couple years, sometimes 2-a-days. I feel it really depends on your diet, acquired sleep, and overall lifestyle. I used to get a crash a few hours after training. Also depended on if I took a pre-wo and what kind (some seem to keep me awake all day/night). Recently I backed off to about 5 days a week training - 3 days on, 1 off, followed by 2 and then another rest day. I have made serious progress this way this past year or so. Play around with it and see what works for you. One thing I will note is that noticeable progress takes TIME. I have been training/bodybuilding for about 6 years and I feel like I am not even close to satisfied. Oh, another thing - MAKE SURE TO STAY HYDRATED THROUGHOUT THE DAY.

I was a skinny guy growing up all my life. In college, I decided that I wanted to try and gain some muscle. I worked out 3 times a week for about a year, I definitely got stronger but I only gained about five pounds (It was nice being stronger, but what's the point if no one can tell?). I have a fast metabolism and I can only eat so much. I couldn't eat all the food that different online guides said I should eat in a day eat to gain weight. Eventually, I caved in and tried adding protein shakes to my diet. It made all the difference in the world to my weight gain. In three months, I gained 20lbs which put me nice weight for my height and it made me much stronger. Also I won't lie, it was nice to finally have people notice the results of me working my butt off in the gym as well. If you're struggling to gain weight, I definitely recommend some sort of protein supplement.

Do you guys know what students usually wear during OMM? I think at Western the girls just wear sport bras and the guys are shirtless. Is that the same everywhere else?

I'm eating more and more now to become morbidly obese. You'll fail to palpate me and I'll rise through the ranks.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys know what students usually wear during OMM? I think at Western the girls just wear sport bras and the guys are shirtless. Is that the same everywhere else?

PCOM is sports bra/shorts for women and shirtless/shorts for men. I think that's how most are (it was the same at all 4 DO interviews I attended), but some require you to buy their "uniform", which are just overpriced, ill-fitting shorts with the school logo on them.

Kcumb was your own gym type clothes, shirts included. Only removed when necessary. Hardly took them off after the first semester or so.

I've yet to begin my research on OMM. What is it about OMM that makes being muscular appealing (strength/aesthetics)?

As an elite powerlifter with low body fat, it seems something to look forward to.

As for advice, progress your compound lifts (5lbs a week) and maintain a calorie surplus.

I've yet to begin my research on OMM. What is it about OMM that makes being muscular appealing (strength/aesthetics)?

As an elite powerlifter with low body fat, it seems something to look forward to.

As for advice, progress your compound lifts (5lbs a week) and maintain a calorie surplus.
Oh, I meant because you have to take your shirt off as a dude, and wear a sports bra as a woman. It helps not to be sloppy nomsayin.

Oh, I meant because you have to take your shirt off as a dude, and wear a sports bra as a woman. It helps not to be sloppy nomsayin.
Yea realized that after looking through the thread.

I've done long phases of training 20 hours a week (powerlifting training) and during my track and field days (sprinter) when I also lifted heavy... it was up to 25 hours a week in total.
I've never had any fatigue issues from training aside from times when I was in the gym for ~3-3.5 hours and only got 3-4 hours of sleep that night. :)
Some soreness though sure... doing 22 heavy sets of bench in one session + accessory lifts can do that to you.

I'd recommend making sure that your calorie intake is in the surplus range, your morning calorie intake is up to par, pre n post workout is very important... get your vitamin D in, and sleep adequately.
Oh and make sure of caffeine, sugar, and junk food! The latter 2 depend on your goals, but 200mg of caffeine pre workout... and you won't be sleepy 2 hours after lifting.

I've done long phases of training 20 hours a week (powerlifting training) and during my track and field days (sprinter) when I also lifted heavy... it was up to 25 hours a week in total.
I've never had any fatigue issues from training aside from times when I was in the gym for ~3-3.5 hours and only got 3-4 hours of sleep that night. :)
Some soreness though sure... doing 22 heavy sets of bench in one session + accessory lifts can do that to you.

I'd recommend making sure that your calorie intake is in the surplus range, your morning calorie intake is up to par, pre n post workout is very important... get your vitamin D in, and sleep adequately.
Oh and make sure of caffeine, sugar, and junk food! The latter 2 depend on your goals, but 200mg of caffeine pre workout... and you won't be sleepy 2 hours after lifting.

I think this is the biggest thing if you're feeling tired @EMDO2018 . I'm currently dieting and I'm pretty tired all day round. Prior to that I was eating around 1000+ calories surplus and never felt tired, even if I only slept 4 hours or so. So I'll have to adjust my diet around, as it will take some time to find a good spot.

I think this is the biggest thing if you're feeling tired @EMDO2018 . I'm currently dieting and I'm pretty tired all day round. Prior to that I was eating around 1000+ calories surplus and never felt tired, even if I only slept 4 hours or so. So I'll have to adjust my diet around, as it will take some time to find a good spot.
One issue people have with the calorie surplus is using junk food to get there. If you're naturally lean by any definition, you can definitely get away with eating some cookies in the morning and pizza/burgers throughout the week (to some degree).

One issue people have with the calorie surplus is using junk food to get there. If you're naturally lean by any definition, you can definitely get away with eating some cookies in the morning and pizza/burgers throughout the week (to some degree).
Well I'm naturally lean, yes. I just want to get around 10% bf. I think I'm around 15% now, and was probably 15% when I first started in at a surplus in October. Up until last week I was literally eating everything and anything. I'm missing it now. I'm actually debating whether to go back to eating at a surplus again. I've made considerable gains, I just want to get shredded..but I know my strength won't progress much.

Well I'm naturally lean, yes. I just want to get around 10% bf. I think I'm around 15% now, and was probably 15% when I first started in at a surplus in October. Up until last week I was literally eating everything and anything. I'm missing it now. I'm actually debating whether to go back to eating at a surplus again. I've made considerable gains, I just want to get shredded..but I know my strength won't progress much.
introduce sprint workouts into your regime while maintaining your diet.

Also maintain your lifting routine... progressing weakly. This is the key to continuing to hypertrophy.

Last edited:
Ugh. I'm hoping I can start working out again by the end of May if everything goes according to plan. I would love to lose 15 lbs, but most strenuous exercise is still going to probably be out of the question. I really need to get my abs in better shape to protect my back but idk how to really work on that w/O hurting myself further

Ugh. I'm hoping I can start working out again by the end of May if everything goes according to plan. I would love to lose 15 lbs, but most strenuous exercise is still going to probably be out of the question. I really need to get my abs in better shape to protect my back but idk how to really work on that w/O hurting myself further

Leg raises on a captain's chair works real well, or planks. What happened to your back?