Let's get hawt before OMM thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Leg raises on a captain's chair works real well, or planks. What happened to your back?

Had a herniated disc, just had surgery on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Had a herniated disc, just had surgery on it.
I have a herniated disc too, but I never underwent surgery. I recommend a low carb diet if you're looking to lose weight, but of course consult your doctor first.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a herniated disc too, but I never underwent surgery. I recommend a low carb diet if you're looking to lose weight, but of course consult your doctor first.

Yeah I've lost a little bit just doing diet alone, high protein low carb tends to work well for me.

It's super rare for surgery to be needed. I just have a really effed up spine.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is phenomenal

Low carb diet? What's the sense in that?

Low carb diet? What's the sense in that?

I was never a fan of low-carb, though it helps me dry as I near competition. Also reduces my vascularity/makes me look flatter. Not a huge fan but has its purpose. I usually like to stay in the 280-300g/day.

Yeah I've lost a little bit just doing diet alone, high protein low carb tends to work well for me.

It's super rare for surgery to be needed. I just have a really effed up spine.
What's your height/weight?

Someone's having their time of the month. :rolleyes:

Someone owes me an apology. It's extremely rude to ask a stranger their height and weight. That's very personal information, like asking a man the size of his penis or the number of partners one has had. It's super inappropriate and I have ever right to tell you that's none of your business.

And then you completely reject my valid complaint by implying I'm menstruating? Are you 12? That's not how grown ups talk to each other

Reactions: 3 users
Someone owes me an apology. It's extremely rude to ask a stranger their height and weight. That's very personal information, like asking a man the size of his penis or the number of partners one has had. It's super inappropriate and I have ever right to tell you that's none of your business.

And then you completely reject my valid complaint by implying I'm menstruating? Are you 12? That's not how grown ups talk to each other
Brb this isn't misc. This is a lighthearted thread aimed at general fitness info. If you want to be condescending and argue for no reason, there's the opportunity in 90% of the other threads on SDN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Well as a personal trainer, height and weight at two essential things to assess for overall evaluation at baseline fitness levels. I find it that you don't agree? :rolleyes:

Being 5'5 160lbs isn't the same as 5'7 130lbs.
No reason for you to be offended when my question was in the context of this thread and not a casual convo thread.

P.S. Height/weight are both very general pieces of information.... anyone can get a reasonable idea of both just by seeing you. You can't compare that to penis size.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Obviously it's important to know that information if you are a personal trainer. I don't recall asking you to be mine.

And seeing as I'm a stranger on the internets you have about as much idea of how I look as I do how big your peen is.

That's personal information and none of your business

You go into ketosis if you eat about 50g of carbs of day. Its a great way to burn a lot of fat if you are disciplined enough to do it.
Oh. Id rather run an extra mile. ;) But 50gs seems awfully low. I already consume about 2500 cals on a cut, it'd be hard for me to make only 200 of those carbs. Plus pizza is sooo good.

Reactions: 2 users
Best way to tone up is to train hard.
Good clean food and dedication.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Obviously it's important to know that information if you are a personal trainer. I don't recall asking you to be mine.

And seeing as I'm a stranger on the internets you have about as much idea of how I look as I do how big your peen is.

That's personal information and none of your business
It's a fitness thread. A very appropriate question to ask in the thread's context.
Your comparison to peen size is beyond terrible and makes 0 sense.

That is all. :)

It's a fitness thread. A very appropriate question to ask in the thread's context.
Your comparison to peen size is beyond terrible and makes 0 sense.

That is all. :)
It's an anonymous forum. She's probably trying to avoid divulging information to people who would say things like "someone's on their period".

Reactions: 5 users
It's an anonymous forum. She's probably trying to avoid divulging information to people who would say things like "someone's on their period".
Nah she has a history of making dumb arguments against me. The latest example being the peen size analogy :rolleyes: .

Nah she has a history of making dumb arguments against me. The latest example being the peen size analogy :rolleyes: .

If you don't like her, find a better way to handle it. The whole "you must be on your period" thing isn't going to do you any favors.

Or maybe she is avoiding people judging her for being overweight? If she was normal weight for her height, she wouldn't be so defensive.

I find it funny to see how people are always against revealing any sort of information if they are not in shape/fat/overweight/obese. If they were fit, they would have no issue revealing this information. You never see a fit person get defensive, and they try to let people know once they become fit how much they were, how much they are now, how tall they are to put it in perspective, and how much they can lift.

I find that I always never deal in absolutes. :pompous:

Or maybe she is avoiding people judging her for being overweight? If she was normal weight for her height, she wouldn't be so defensive.

I find it funny to see how people are always against revealing any sort of information if they are not in shape/fat/overweight/obese. If they were fit, they would have no issue revealing this information. You never see a fit person get defensive, and they try to let people know once they become fit how much they were, how much they are now, how tall they are to put it in perspective, and how much they can lift.

43020700.jpg

If you look hard enough you can find pictures of me on here and judge for yourself my weight. The whole point of me not disclosing is that I don't want people judging me for how much I do or don't weight. As someone who has in the past had disordered eating it's something I feel very uncomfortable talking about.

If you look hard enough you can find pictures of me on here and judge for yourself my weight. The whole point of me not disclosing is that I don't want people judging me for how much I do or don't weight. As someone who has in the past had disordered eating it's something I feel very uncomfortable talking about.
It's actually an important lesson that many providers never learn, and I bet is rarely taught. Sure, we learn how to take histories, but there's an art to doing it. The standardized patients of school are 'programmed' to respond in certain ways. In real life, the more a patient feels threatened or intimidated (and it can be a subtle thing to do it), the less likely he or she will be forthcoming. It's all about having tact. We often don't know what an individual's past experiences have been before we touch him or her or probe him or she with questions. Even the seemingly simplest question can tear deep into someone's sensitivities. And, as we are all human, we all have them in their various forms.

That said, I was actually going to ask earlier if that other person was your personal trainer, or if you had asked for advice in some way (I know he is not, and you did not.). I doubt he really meant any disrespect by it, but he should understand that he isn't you. He knows nothing of your experiences. His later comment simply demonstrated that hasn't matured enough yet to develop tact. I sincerely hope he learns that important skill one day.

In the meantime, it's really unfortunate that some people claim to want to be doctors, but lack the respect for their fellow human beings. Getting into medical school, becoming a doctor one day, it should humble a person, not make him or her feel entitled. We should all want what is best for others, not ourselves. Unfortunately, this isn't the reality. I, for one, will always have a hard time accepting this truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

You knew she was a woman and you asked her what her height and weight were (1st mistake). You proceeded to blame her anger toward your comment on her period (2nd mistake). Two rules of the gentlemen's code that shouldn't be broken in my opinion.

Keep it classy

You knew she was a woman and you asked her what her height and weight were (1st mistake). You proceeded to blame her anger toward your comment on her period (2nd mistake). Two rules of the gentlemen's code that shouldn't be broken in my opinion.

Keep it classy

But he's a certified personal trainer brah :laugh: DYEGentleman?

In the meantime, it's really unfortunate that some people claim to want to be doctors, but lack the respect for their fellow human beings. Getting into medical school, becoming a doctor one day, it should humble a person, not make him or her feel entitled. We should all want what is best for others, not ourselves. Unfortunately, this isn't the reality. I, for one, will always have a hard time accepting this truth.
+1

Two comments on this page have really got me wondering what kind of bedside manner some students will have when they're in a clinical setting. Interviews can't catch them all.

+1

Two comments on this page have really got me wondering what kind of bedside manner some students will have when they're in a clinical setting. Interviews can't catch them all.
Yeah, especially when all that was asked for was an apology. This is why I think good clinical experience or customer service experience is just as valuable, if not more so, than any GPA or MCAT score.

Communication is often an overlooked skill. It takes a lot patience. We all know what we mean when we say it, but we don't know how the other person receives it. Misunderstandings happen, and we need to be graceful about them, especially in such a global community. The older you get, the more you realize that the world is full of children of various ages. In the end, it's what you make of it all. One can choose to grow up or not. If only that can be better measured in an interview.

I've heard and seen many times that being a doctor is like being a parent. Unfortunately, even some of these doctor-parents never grow up.

Deep down, I think you know that isn't true. Anyone who has/has ever had an eating disorder will find that question incredibly offputting, and those people come in every size. If you don't believe me, you'll come across it soon enough.

People who lift do love talking strength numbers, but that doesn't mean they like fielding height/weight questions from strangers.

Best way to tone up is to train hard.
Good clean food and dedication.

Best advice I've seen on this thread. People want to over complicate with tweaking carbs, taking fancy supplements and doing a ton of isolation work.

Lift heavy, eat clean and get some sleep.

Reactions: 5 users
While the second comment obviously didn't come across well I don't think the height/weight comment was anything but an attempt to help. Getting overly defensive wasn't necessary, just a simple I'd rather not disclose that info. No matter the history.

It really is hard to assist people without some basic starting information. And this thread I'm assuming was meant to be a place for those wanting help to get solid advice.

I started biking short trips around town and was planning to bike commute to school during years 1 and 2. It's a nice way to enjoy the weather/cut down on transportation costs while not significantly effecting weight lifting performance.

Best advice I've seen on this thread. People want to over complicate with tweaking carbs, taking fancy supplements and doing a ton of isolation work.

Lift heavy, eat clean and get some sleep.

Yep. Even when I'm pressed for time I make sure I get my prescribed compounds in, go home and eat. Done.

While the second comment obviously didn't come across well I don't think the height/weight comment was anything but an attempt to help. Getting overly defensive wasn't necessary, just a simple I'd rather not disclose that info. No matter the history.

It really is hard to assist people without some basic starting information. And this thread I'm assuming was meant to be a place for those wanting help to get solid advice.

Fair point. But at least people learned something.

Or at least I hope so.

I don't think height and weight matters that much for this thread...at all. Secondly, the response to touchpause not giving the h/w shows that the person had no good intentions. Douchebags don't help people. Let's call a spade a spade and stop pretending everyone is nice and out to benefit the good of others.

I wouldn't recommend a low carb diet. It works but can make you miserable

I've been doing it for two weeks and feel so tired :/.
It is helpful for morbidly obese because it can help them drop weight fast.. But that med school brain needs glucose! A balanced diet is best, minus seafood because it sucks :D

Carb toggling is where it's at. Makes the few days of suffering bearable when you have a high carb day.

It is helpful for morbidly obese because it can help them drop weight fast.. But that med school brain needs glucose! A balanced diet is best, minus seafood because it sucks :D

What's wrong with seafood? I love shrimp and shellfish and fish. Dem omega 3 fatty acids.

Explain. ..

In super simple terms - low carb day, medium carb day, high carb day. Low carb day no straight carbs except fibrous veggies. Medium day, carbs for breakfast and next meal possibly. High carb day, carbs for first several meals of the day, but never past 6pm. Start with one day low, one day medium, one day high. Once weight loss stalls, go to one day low, two days medium, one day high. Next - two days low, one day medium, one day high. Keep extending the chain as weight loss stalls.

Tons of ways to manipulate this approach. That's just one general idea.

I've gotten to almost competitive bodybuilding levels using this idea, although a much more refined approach.

In super simple terms - low carb day, medium carb day, high carb day. Low carb day no straight carbs except fibrous veggies. Medium day, carbs for breakfast and next meal possibly. High carb day, carbs for first several meals of the day, but never past 6pm. Start with one day low, one day medium, one day high. Once weight loss stalls, go to one day low, two days medium, one day high. Next - two days low, one day medium, one day high. Keep extending the chain as weight loss stalls.

Tons of ways to manipulate this approach. That's just one general idea.

I've gotten to almost competitive bodybuilding levels using this idea, although a much more refined approach.

That actually seems like something I could maintain. How much weight did you drop doing this if you don't mind me asking?

And how do you figure out exactly what a low, medium, and high carb day look like? I understand how to count carbs, I'm just wondering how big of a swing is it between like a low and a high

That actually seems like something I could maintain. How much weight did you drop doing this if you don't mind me asking?

And how do you figure out exactly what a low, medium, and high carb day look like? I understand how to count carbs, I'm just wondering how big of a swing is it between like a low and a high

It's definitely not meant to be a quick weight loss diet. It's basically how I maintain most of the year unless I'm bulking since it's so easy to tweak. I can easily drop 6-9% body fat doing this. I never am really overweight, just sometimes needing to recomp after adding some unwanted fat.

A low carb day will be high protein and higher fat to promote satiety. So you want protein based meals with fibrous veggies. Nuts are good but you need to be careful because they're so dense in calories.

Medium carb will be like a typical breakfast (I.e eggs and steel cut oats with berries) and perhaps some more complex carbs at lunch like brown rice with protein. Rest of the day is protein and veggies again.

High carb days are going to be days where you add onto the medium days meals and continue with pro/carb. A mid afternoon snack of perhaps Greek yogurt and a banana, with a dinner consisting of protein and perhaps a sweet potato. I'm a big fan of shrimp salads and tuna mixed with avocado later in the day.

Carb counts will largely depend on activity level and starting weight. I don't count carbs so I can't give you a definite range.

But as I said, as long as you follow the general approach you should develop a feel for your body and how it responds. The biggest obstacle one faces is learning how their own body responds personally. This has taken me years.

Keep it classy

I cringed reading this, hoping you're a woman and not a guy...

My question wasn't as rude as her response, she could have simply not answered if it was that offensive. :)

+1

Idk man, the patients and the staff loved me during my 2 year volunteering time at the hospital.

I really hope you don't diagnose people based off of one symptom the same way you've labeled my personality based off of one post.

But he's a certified personal trainer brah :laugh: DYEGentleman?
+ 11 years of experience with national and international level athletics in 2 different sports and being a world record holder.

My question wasn't as rude as her response, she could have simply not answered if it was that offensive. :)

Idk man, the patients and the staff loved me during my 2 year volunteering time at the hospital.

I really hope you don't diagnose people based off of one symptom the same way you've labeled my personality based off of one post.

+ 11 years of experience with national and international level athletics in 2 different sports and being a world record holder.
I have not labeled you at all. I was just genuinely surprised that someone's response (a future physician, at that) to a less-than-favorable reply from a woman they've never met would be that she must be menstruating. Everybody says stupid stuff occasionally, but you have failed to even acknowledge that you have said something completely inappropriate in most any context.

Just let it go.