Let's make a Pact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, I've been reading these forums for a while now, and I just joined; this being my first post. Congrats to those who have been called for an interview. If the first round of interviews are in late March, does anyone know when the second round will be?

Members don't see this ad.

the second round is in early May/late June if they don't fill all the spots with the first set of interviews.

Hey All-- I've gotten a lot of private messages asking for all my credentials and stuff, so I'll put it here, although I don't like to do this. I know what its like to wait, so I'll give in this time!!

Undergraduate Institution: One of the top five schools in the USA.
GPA: 3.55
MCAT: 35R
Things in my application: Research experience, no publications yet. Plenty of clinical experience. Vast travel experience. Plenty of non-medical extra-currics. Pretty decent recs I assume.

I completed my application in Mid-January 2007, was emailed an interview invite this week.

If you guys have any other questions let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously it's non-rolling then, since I submitted in August 2006 and was complete in September 2006.

Hey guys, anyone heard from Atlantic Bridge or RCSI today? I keep checking my e-mail, but nada.

Guys, I called Trinity today to make sure that my updated transcript had been received and they told me that they would be letting people know in about 4 - 6 weeks.

the wait continues.

Hello People,

I know we are all very anxious in this "waiting game", and would really like to know what the final verdict is.

But just to help ease the anxiety I wanted to bring to everyones attention the fact that there are some Post-Baccalaureate Pre-medical programs in USA which are officially affiliated with Irish Medical Schools.
Which means that their students are guarrantee'd an interview provided they have satisfied their Post-bac requirements. (for example, Columbia University's Post-bac pre-med program is officially affiliated with TCD, UCC, RCSI.)

Almost everyone in this post sounds like an independent student. So chill out, and dont panic. Maybe the first round of interviews is being offered to the Post-bac students, and the rest of us will shortly follow.

Once again, Good luck, stay positive, and kick ass on the interview.

So, nothing yet today; however, it's only 9:50 in California right now, so I'm assuming they won't send anything out until later in their work day.

Interesting to know that there is a post-bacc program affiliated with the schools....sounds like something one does in order to get into an American school. I still hold hope!!! After four years of pre-med, I don't know what else I would pursue other than a master's in Genetics. I think we all feel that, "time is of the essence" and we would like to start this journey in the near future :laugh: See, Mr. McDuck, there was a post above stating that Trinity will be sending out within 4-6 weeks....which I am sure is about the same timing for UCD and UCC.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm eager to hear from UCD, as it is my top choice, but the fact that I should be receiving an email "shortly" from RCSI if I am to get an interview--according to ABP, anyway--is making me more anxious at the moment. :scared:

Just in case anyone is scared by co06's posted stats, wanted you all to know that i also go an interview at RCSI without the high numbers
Undergrad Institution: UC Berkeley
GPA: 3.1
MCAT: 31O

things in my app: very very limited research, lots of clinical experience, almost no extracurriculars.

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!! :D :D :D :D :D

My only disappointment is that the interviews are in NY and I live in Ontario so I'm a bit far.

Members don't see this ad :)
just recently

I just got the e-mail 20 minutes ago.

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!! :D :D :D :D :D

My only disappointment is that the interviews are in NY and I live in Ontario so I'm a bit far.

Congrats Trevor! My interview was at New York as well at the sheraton hotel as. It was SO nerve wrecking at first when I first read the email. But when I got there I kinda felt bad ass wearing suits and all strutting through the lobby and asking the front receptionisnt where the interview room was lol. :p

Hey man let me know how it goes and send me a pm with ur msn and we can talk online. Hopefully I will see u next year at RCSI. Freshers week is a BLAST! :laugh:

Thanks a lot man I was so happy when I got the interview :D

Hi guys,

Congrats to those who got interviews at RCSI... I think they are from the East, that's why they're interviewing in New York... hopefully for us in the West we will get invites soon for interviews in San Francisco...

Congrats guys. I guess I'm probably not going to get one, which kind of sucks. I'd actually rather just get the rejection letter than have to wait for them to fill up all the spots and tell me later.

Also, if you got an interview, they probably think you're good enough to be accepted, so don't sweat it.

Congrats guys. I guess I'm probably not going to get one, which kind of sucks. I'd actually rather just get the rejection letter than have to wait for them to fill up all the spots and tell me later.

Also, if you got an interview, they probably think you're good enough to be accepted, so don't sweat it.

Thats not necesserily (sp? :p) true. From my round atleast, half the applicants were rejected at the interview stage :confused:

On the other hand there are 2 rounds of interviews and there is a good chance you may get an offer later on. Its not unheard of to get admission offers a month before schools begin. Unless you have received a rejection letter now I wouldnt worry about it too much at this point. There is still quite a bit of time left :thumbup:

In my interview group there were 4,5 and 6 year applicants, so the interviwers like to spread out the interviews a bit so dont give up hope just yet!

Good luck everyone and hopefully I will see you guys here in Dublin (or Cork) next year! :luck: :)

I am a student at UCD and I received my acceptance in July. Some in my class even got their acceptance in August! There is still hope for a good part of the year....they tend to do rolling acceptances. The first accept those who are more likely going to get into a US school...that way they get to keep their 3000 euro deposit b/c the student is forced to accept the spot before he knows about his US med school application!! Its a bit of a money making scheme in the early days of acceptances so not to worry...it really is very very early!!!

Pssh. I'm certainly not waiting until August. If I don't get in, I have to go with my back-up plan, and I can't wait until July or August to start that going. Of course, If I just give up on Ireland, and an acceptance comes in August, my guess is I'll pretty quickly be ready to go. :D

Laura's theory definitly makes sense. They will not plan interviews for may/june if they didn't intend to grant acceptances at that time.

Keep in mind Ireland is a "backup" plan for many applicants, so my guess is that some students who do end up getting into local schools, retrieve their applications from Irish programs. Which is why there are so many late acceptances.

Cheer up, and good luck.

See you all in Ireland. ( i.e. if I get my late acceptance :laugh: )

I read that they only intend to grant interviews for May/June if they don't fill up with the interviews in March. Anyway, I think I'm the most paranoid person on this board. I definitely check my e-mail every 30 minutes. :rolleyes:

Just in case anyone is scared by co06's posted stats, wanted you all to know that i also go an interview at RCSI without the high numbers
Undergrad Institution: UC Berkeley
GPA: 3.1
MCAT: 31O

things in my app: very very limited research, lots of clinical experience, almost no extracurriculars.

Can you clarify what you mean by clinical experience? I've heard this from other too, but never in an elaborate fashion

"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy."
~Leo Buscaglia

So why worry?

Can you clarify what you mean by clinical experience? I've heard this from other too, but never in an elaborate fashion

I'm going to assume you are looking for a myriad of answers, so here's mine :D :

I've been a scrub tech and a first assitant for the last three years, and I've worked as a PA for about two now. That's my clinical experience, even though I was paid for it (I hope that doesn't matter).

BTW, anyone else get anything today?

I got a fancy rejection letter from a Canadian Institution.

Sorry. :( I'd almost prefer a rejection to nothing just so I can know something, but I'm sure if I got one, that feeling would change real fast.

I'm going to assume you are looking for a myriad of answers, so here's mine :D :

I've been a scrub tech and a first assitant for the last three years, and I've worked as a PA for about two now. That's my clinical experience, even though I was paid for it (I hope that doesn't matter).

BTW, anyone else get anything today?

I see! Well that's very interesting, its just never come up before, I've never had any focus on vocational clinical experience before. That's great to know, thanks.

It must be so stressful waiting!!!! I hope all you get in! I'm applying this coming September and was hoping someone could please answer a quick question.

I know you're only allowed to apply to four schools in the ABP, but does applying to the Royal College's 4year and 5 year count as two schools or just one? I emailed Mr Keenan about this question and he avoided it...not sure why! Is the 4 year program even a part of the ABP?

Also, if you have written the MCAT twice, will they look at the second much higher score or do they look at both (23 vs 38 2nd time)?

It must be so stressful waiting!!!! I hope all you get in! I'm applying this coming September and was hoping someone could please answer a quick question.

I know you're only allowed to apply to four schools in the ABP, but does applying to the Royal College's 4year and 5 year count as two schools or just one? I emailed Mr Keenan about this question and he avoided it...not sure why! Is the 4 year program even a part of the ABP?

Also, if you have written the MCAT twice, will they look at the second much higher score or do they look at both (23 vs 38 2nd time)?

They will definitely consider your improved score! I think that you just apply to RCSI 5 year---and the rest I am not certain about---I think they will clarify the GEP possibility if you are chosen for an interview.

I think as a graduate (or almost-graduate) they will consider you for 4-year GEP first at RCSI. As spaces are filled they will probably shift to consideration for the 5-year program...

Good luck to those applying to RCSI. The interview does not guarantee admission as I know I met some very nice people at my interview date that did not join my class.

I am an American student (high school applicant) currently in my year 5 out of 6.

It's a wonderful program, and most that work hard will not have any problems getting into a competitive American residency. RCSI prepares us very well for the USMLE boards assuming you put in the effort. And the Vice Dean Dr Buckley does everything in her power to ensure the top students get good summer clerkships in their clinical years.

I hope to see many of you, again best of luck! :luck: :thumbup:

Got an Interview invite to RCSI and I have a crappy GPA! I'm guessing they REALLY weigh MCAT strongly.

Hey rnp614, what was your MCAT? Are you on the East Coast and interviewing in New York? Congrats

I got my Rejection email from UCC today. What really sucks is that UCC was the only one I really wanted to get into.

Whatever life goes on. I have yet to hear from 3 other schools.

I guess I can't blame them. My stats weren't that great. Just hoping for a miracle:thumbdown: ....

Sorry. :( I'll keep my fingers crossed for the other three schools to which you applied. :luck:

I understand how you feel, but whatever is meant to be will be.
:luck: :luck: :luck:

Does anyone know if either of the schools allow you to defer entry, once accepted?

I don't see why not...check with Mr. Keenan at ABP...especially if you give them a deposit early on...

I was just wondering if these letters of rejection/emails are to be expected both now and after the March acceptance letters??? With the US medical schools, they often wait until the class is full (state schools) and start send-outs in February. I check the mail and email non-stop. Hope everyone else is holding up well :) :laugh:

Uh, I definitely check my email every 30 minutes or so. I hate this waiting, and the fact that other people have heard things just makes it worse. :D

I got my Rejection email from UCC today. What really sucks is that UCC was the only one I really wanted to get into.

Whatever life goes on. I have yet to hear from 3 other schools.

I guess I can't blame them. My stats weren't that great. Just hoping for a miracle:thumbdown: ....

Sorry to hear about rejections. I just got mine today from RCSI. Frustrating but whatever, gotta move on. So it sounds like UCC is getting started too in their notification. Does UCC require the MCAT? I know there's one school that doesn't but not sure which one. Whatever one that is, that's the one I'm praying for.

Trinity is the only one that doesn't require MCAT, although I don't know if they look at it anyways, if you have it.

Hey everyone,

Today I received an interview invite by e-mail from RCSI (choices were Mar. 27 and Mar. 28 in Toronto, Ontario). The e-mail said to reply by Friday, Mar. 2 so that they can extend further offers to people to fill the spots on those dates!

I haven't noticed anyone post about this so hopefully this is a new round going out!

Congrats! I'm trying to be optimistic here, but I notice a trend (New York -> Toronto)...so maybe interview invites are sent in batches according to location? Come on, San Francisco...

I'm still waiting, and I'd be interviewing in New York. To ease my anxiety, how many of you who got interviews applied to the 6-year program?