Let's pretend we are AdComs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SayitIsntSO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if you were on an admission committee and were comparing 2 applicants that have identical everything (DAT, time applied, LOR quality, research, extra cirriculars, GPA, etc). And you were looking at their GPAs that were identical, say 3.4. One applicant had a 3.4 because of a lot of As and some Cs and a few Bs. Or the applicant with a 3.4 but never got a C, but obvisouly got quite a few Bs, and not as many As. Also, assume they took the same classes.

The argument for the As and Cs applicant could be that the student obviously has enough talent to get As, yet may struggle with harder classes.

The argument for the As and Bs student would be that the student is very consistent and steadfast.

Give me your opinions if you were an adcom or maybe if you know for sure what is more desirable.

Members don't see this ad.

if i were part of the adcom... i'd pick the A/B student.

The committee members are looking at hundreds, sometimes thousands of applications. This is in addition to their regular jobs at the school. I promise you they do not spend time analyzing every excruciating detail the way pre-dents think they do. They look at GPA, science GPA, DAT and some biographical info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would base the decision on the personal statement and interview then.

What if the A/B student has all As and Bs, but his dad is a dentist and the applicants motivation to become a dentist is more extrinsic from his father than intrinsic.

What if the A/C student has all As and Cs, and shows an intense intrinsic passion for dentistry.

In this case I could accept the A/C student and reject the A/B student.

The two applicants may basically have the same everything, but I doubt they have the same personality.

If it was down that close, I would bet things would weigh more on who clicks with the interviewer and who has favorable qualities other than those listed above which make them the better choice.

The kid who did not mess up his/her interview
-C

I wouldn't base it on the interview...the interview is stressful for most people, and acceptance should probably be based on the personal statement in these situations. If you totally suck at your interview, than that is a different story. There is no way two people's personal statements would be the same.

SayitIsntSO said:
So if you were on an admission committee and were comparing 2 applicants that have identical everything (DAT, time applied, LOR quality, research, extra cirriculars, GPA, etc). And you were looking at their GPAs that were identical, say 3.4. One applicant had a 3.4 because of a lot of As and some Cs and a few Bs. Or the applicant with a 3.4 but never got a C, but obvisouly got quite a few Bs, and not as many As. Also, assume they took the same classes.

The argument for the As and Cs applicant could be that the student obviously has enough talent to get As, yet may struggle with harder classes.

The argument for the As and Bs student would be that the student is very consistent and steadfast.

Give me your opinions if you were an adcom or maybe if you know for sure what is more desirable.

i'd pick the kid with no Cs.....consistency is very important in dental practice

lgreen_aci said:
If it was down that close, I would bet things would weigh more on who clicks with the interviewer and who has favorable qualities other than those listed above which make them the better choice.

yeah most likely

I hope they go for the kid with a couple C's (ME!) :laugh: I had some issues my sophmore year... made a couple C+'s and a C, jeez i hope this doesnt mess up my chances :scared:

i would pick whichever one's a minority :cool:

i'd pick the ones with A's and B's because that's like me. Haven't gotten a C in 4 years of undergrad (came close a few times)

INFNITE said:
i'd pick the ones with A's and B's because that's like me. Haven't gotten a C in 4 years of undergrad (came close a few times)

I would've picked the A/B student...until I took P-Chem 2. Honestly, with all the other factors to weigh, that small of a detail probably wouldn't matter much. If you've gotten As in hard classes, they will see that you can do the work.

KwonSau said:
I would've picked the A/B student...until I took P-Chem 2. Honestly, with all the other factors to weigh, that small of a detail probably wouldn't matter much. If you've gotten As in hard classes, they will see that you can do the work.

Agreed. Pchem is a pain in the butt!

Members don't see this ad :)
i would look at what classes the C's were in... if they were in Organic Chemistry, and upper level bio classes... it would raise red flags.

organichemistry said:
i would look at what classes the C's were in... if they were in Organic Chemistry, and upper level bio classes... it would raise red flags.

actually, C in an organic chemistry course wouldn't be THAT bad. That course is tough as hell, and I barely got a B-. If you got a C in freshman bio though....that may be a problem. And come on, do you enjoy orgo so much that you pick it as your username? Orgo is by far the one course I absolutely hated

INFNITE said:
actually, C in an organic chemistry course wouldn't be THAT bad. That course is tough as hell, and I barely got a B-. If you got a C in freshman bio though....that may be a problem. And come on, do you enjoy orgo so much that you pick it as your username? Orgo is by far the one course I absolutely hated

We all know that Orgo is just another filter. Yeah, it sucks, but genchem is/was too easy to rule out anyone. but following orgo, we all know where we stand amongst our "peers." I know I am stating the obvious, but we are never gonna need to know what Bromine and water are going to do to an alkene ever again. Just like no one will ever require you to derive an equation to find the curve of a baseball. So, I hated ochem, but I am glad it separated the pretenders from the contenders. Besides, regardless of getting a D or A in ochem, you can still very well be a bada$$ dentist through your social skills and manual dexterity, if only the dental school would see that...

I loved orgo. I think it was one of my favorite undergrad classes...quite easy...but I studied a lot. Makes it easier when you like what you study.

if i were an adcom. i would have another beam & coke and flip a coin......actually i would base it on the interview for sure.....did i mention im really bored...................................................................................................................................................................................

I would pick whoever could tell the best stories.

Yo, check this... It doesn't matter if one person was a French major and the other a biochem major, it comes down to the BCP, cum gpa, sci gpa. If I could rewind time I would've been a business major or something less stressful because in the end it came down to numbers. I know it sucks but its how it works. I took just about every undergrad upper div science class thinking it would look good. In the end the only thing I think I gained is that I know a lot more about parasitology and the germinating seed than most people but I also feel pretty confident I can handle the workload in dental school.

dexadental said:
I wouldn't base it on the interview...the interview is stressful for most people, and acceptance should probably be based on the personal statement in these situations. If you totally suck at your interview, than that is a different story. There is no way two people's personal statements would be the same.

don't under estimate the interview...some schools rank as such: 30%GPA, 30%DAT, 40% interview

dexadental said:

don't under estimate the interview!

xxxTheDonxxx said:
don't under estimate the interview!

So I see that the interview is huge. It seems from most interview feedbacks, though, that there are no "difficult" questions asked during the interviews. Only the typical "why do you want to be a dentist" and " why this school". Is this just certain schools that have "easy" interviews while others have more intense interviews to weed out similarity in applicants? How would the "easy" interview schools be able to distinguish similar applicants with such generic questions? Or does a lot about the person come out during generic questions?

SayitIsntSO said:
So I see that the interview is huge. It seems from most interview feedbacks, though, that there are no "difficult" questions asked during the interviews. Only the typical "why do you want to be a dentist" and " why this school". Is this just certain schools that have "easy" interviews while others have more intense interviews to weed out similarity in applicants? How would the "easy" interview schools be able to distinguish similar applicants with such generic questions? Or does a lot about the person come out during generic questions?

interviews are like a crap shoot.......