Letter of Intent after Update Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rallada

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was recently waitlisted at my top choice school and I wanted to send them a letter of intent to reiterate my immense interest. However, on my interview day, the dean of admissions said that the committee looks very favorably upon update letters and encouraged us all to send an update letter or thank you note before our applications were reviewed. I sent both the day after my interview, and talked about my new gap year job and the specific reasons why I am so interested in the school. Now that I've been waitlisted, I'm not sure what substantial information I could provide in a letter of intent. Is it worth it just to send a brief paragraph stating again that I am interested, or would the admissions committee not look favorably on a letter that basically gives them no new information? Any help or advice that anyone could provide would be super appreciated. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

You sent what they told you to send. Did you include your strong desire to attend that school in those two letters? If so, they know very well you are interested and you want to attend that school. If you didn’t include it, you’ve probably missed that opportunity. Did they mention anything about sending a letter of intent?

Reactions: 1 users
You sent what they told you to send. Did you include your strong desire to attend that school in those two letters? If so, they know very well you are interested and you want to attend that school. If you didn’t include it, you’ve probably missed that opportunity. Did they mention anything about sending a letter of intent?

I did indicate in my update letter that the school was my first choice and laid out many specific reasons why I wanted to attend, so I think they're aware of my interest. They did say that they accept letters of interest from those on the waitlist, but I'm not sure how much they would take them into account, if at all. I don't think it would change much, but I guess my question is would it hurt more to NOT send one?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is your top choice, just send the letter of intent. Mileage may vary.

I did indicate in my update letter that the school was my first choice and laid out many specific reasons why I wanted to attend, so I think they're aware of my interest. They did say that they accept letters of interest from those on the waitlist, but I'm not sure how much they would take them into account, if at all. I don't think it would change much, but I guess my question is would it hurt more to NOT send one?

if they said they take them just go ahead and send it. Be brief and direct. Good luck.

if they said they take them just go ahead and send it. Be brief and direct. Good luck.
I agree and so does the article I read:

I really liked this part:

Screenshot 2020-02-02 22.06.56.png