Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonesomething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm working on drafting a letter of intent for residency programs, and I was wondering if anyone has advice or tips about writing it? Is there a specific length I should try not to exceed? Things I definitely shouldn't or should mention? Key phrases that stand out (or don't)?

Right now, I feel like the sample letters of intent that I read (and thus the one that I've written) are sort of generic? I don't know how heavily programs rely on these letters either, so if you have any advice I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would try not to exceed 1 page, maybe 1.5 at the most. Re: structure, most letters will probably mention what drew you to the program, what qualities you have that would make you a good fit, and what you expect to gain from that specific residency/how you'll apply that to your long-term goals. I used mine to flesh out my CV and everything listed in Phorcas. It's kind of unavoidable to sound generic - just make sure it's grammatically correct and you spelled everything right. And that you addressed it to the correct program/RPD.

Reactions: 1 user
- Make sure you write formally. Address everyone by Dr. X, especially the RPD.

- When signing, write sincerely rather than thank you or best or best regards

- Understand there are two types of reviewers. One that reads line by line and one that skims paragraphs for key words. Like the previous poster said, keep it concise. I would suggest 1 page as opposed to 1.5. Make sure your highlights and achievements can be easily identified at a quick skim

- Arial font is a good way to go. There are other fonts you can use. I suggest not using Times New Roman

- The most important thing you can and should do is make a brief bullet list of what you are trying to communicate. Education, experience, interests, expectations, etc. Have friends, coworkers, faculty read your letter and then ask what they determined about you from your letter. Does it match what you think you wrote?

- Ask your letter writers to review your letters of intent too. They usually read it to get inspiration for their recommendations but also tend to have helpful suggestions

- Key Phrases: Do not try and use generic key phrases. Let specific interests and specific work/volunteer experiences guide the way to writing your letter. If you met the RPD or a resident/preceptor definitely feel free to mention that in your letter. I met so and so at x event and learned about y and z.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user