Recommendation Letter for a friend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangopulp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in pharmacy school who wants to apply for residency. We regularly hang out together with other common friends, visit each others places etc. This friend asks me for one of her rec letters. I will have a chance to work with her briefly when she has her rotation at my workplace (I am not the preceptor however). Given these facts I feel I am not the right person to be writing the recommendation letter. It needs to be unbiased. Pharmacy is such a small world, I would hate to jeopardize both of our reputations and careers. How do I explain this to her so that she understands it is not anything personal?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend in pharmacy school who wants to apply for residency. We regularly hang out together with other common friends, visit each others places etc. This friend asks me for one of her rec letters. I will have a chance to work with her briefly when she has her rotation at my workplace (I am not the preceptor however). Given these facts I feel I am not the right person to be writing the recommendation letter. It needs to be unbiased. Pharmacy is such a small world, I would hate to jeopardize both of our reputations and careers. How do I explain this to her so that she understands it is not anything personal?
Thank you!
Omg, you’re not a friend indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you say it would jeopardize your or her reputation and career? Do one of you guys have horrible working habits or something? If you have nothing good to say about her, then its understandable... wouldn't be a good friend though.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!
Sh*tty friend. Hope they see how you are and find other friends.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh wow! I just wanted to make sure I dont get any of us in any trouble but apparently I was overthinking the whole thing. I feel like I offended all of you and I apologize!

You can explain how it will not look like a good letter to residencies. In the letter you have to say what your interactions are with your friend, and on this rotation they will be minimal. You will have little to write in each category box if you only work with her briefly. You cannot just write that she is a good person and study buddy. Residencies tend to prefer the actual preceptors.

Are you a last-ditch effort because she can’t get other letters to agree? Maybe she needs to research more into what makes a good LOR.

Oh wow! Thanks! So instead of answering my dilemma what else can you tell about myself?

Friends should be loyal to one another. If you’re always hanging out together then what’s stopping you from supporting this person?

Folks, learn from this and be careful who your friends are.

Has this profession modified us to such level?

Be kind to one another wherever you go. Let us build and mentor each other y’all

You can explain how it will not look like a good letter to residencies. In the letter you have to say what your interactions are with your friend, and on this rotation they will be minimal. You will have little to write in each category box if you only work with her briefly. You cannot just write that she is a good person and study buddy. Residencies tend to prefer the actual preceptors.

Are you a last-ditch effort because she can’t get other letters to agree? Maybe she needs to research more into what makes a good LOR.
Thank you for being understanding and kind with your words. I appreciate your input. As you said, I thought residencies would prefer your preceptors to write you a letter. Thanks again!

Friends should be loyal to one another. If you’re always hanging out together then what’s stopping you from supporting this person?

Folks, learn from this and be careful who your friends are.

Has this profession modified us to such level?

Be kind to one another wherever you go. Let us build and mentor each other y’all
I dont know if I came across as being against writing this person a letter. It is definitely not what I am leaning towards but I just want to make sure I wasnt violating any unwritten rules about references. Again, I am not sure how checking with peers what the right thing to do would make me such a horrible person. I appreciate your time though!

As a residency preceptor, I can tell you that we would not take your letter as seriously as that of a preceptor or employer. Also, you need to be able to speak about your professional interactions, not personal ones.

Reactions: 3 users

I mean this is the form that you will answer. I don't think you can write a good letter with just a personal relationship. It asks about clinical activities. You can't answer that at all.

I would think you would be a bad friend to just say yea when you know you can't write a good letter. Not sure why other people are calling you a bad friend

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!

How many letters does she have to submit? If more than one, you can write it for her and try your best at answering the questions. If this is the only letter, then I will suggest for you to tell your friend that you will be happy to help her, but at the same time, if you write the letter for her, there might be questions that you might not be able to answer. I am pretty sure she will understand you and will not take it personal :) Good Luck!!!