XRanger

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
516
22
Status
Medical Student
Last week I got an interview to boston university and I'm really impressed with the school and the students, and now it's one of my top choice schools so I'm thinking of sending a letter of interest.

I have some questions:
1. Is it ok to send letter of interest so soon after the interview or should I wait to send it if I get waitlisted/deffered? they said they're gonna make the decision for the first-wave applicants on december 17th.
2. I also have an additional LOR, should I send it along with the letter of interest? or save it for later?
3. Should I email or mail? and should I address it to the dean or just admission committee?
 

cheasus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
339
0
Status
Medical Student
i have the same question about other schools, would love some input.
 

Tekbright510

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2008
73
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Try the search function. I feel like this topic has been discussed ad nauseum.

In my opinion, I think it is better to send a LOI after a decision has been made. If you're accepted, no need for one at all. If waitlisted, your LOI may lead to a re-review of your file. If you send one before a waitlist decision, however, you may not have anything "new" to update them on afterwards and you lose that valuable re-review.

I also think it depends on the particular school. Some schools feel that the material you have turned it thus far speaks for itself and a LOI may not hold much weight. At other schools, a LOI may serve as a tie breaker between you and fellow waitlistee. If waitlisted at a dream school, I think it doesn't hurt to send a LOI.
 
Last edited:
About the Ads

luvumeanit

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
55
0
Status
Medical Student
in my limited experience, letters of interest are worthless, UNLESS you are including important new info.

and, in that case, it really is an update.

they KNOW you are interested!!

BUT i do believe that schools can be moved by letters of intent. but for BU, wait until they issue acceptance, rejection, deferrals in January. then, if you are deferred, and IF it is your first choice, HIT EM HARD with your INTENT.
 

XRanger

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
516
22
Status
Medical Student
Yea, I think my main issue is that if I send LOI now and end up getting waitlisted or defered, I won't have anything to send/update for re-review. So I guess I'll wait until they decide
 

luvumeanit

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
55
0
Status
Medical Student
Yea, I think my main issue is that if I send LOI now and end up getting waitlisted or defered, I won't have anything to send/update for re-review. So I guess I'll wait until they decide
As you probably know, BU accepts a small number in January, rejects quite a few, and defers a lot of people until March. If you are deferred, wait until closer to decision time and email Dean Witzberg with your update info AND your intent to withdraw all your acceptances if they accept you -- I would say something like, "I have been accepted by five schools, including Northwestern, which is where I intend to matriculate. If I am offered a spot in the BU class of 2013, I will immediately withdraw from Northwestern and will matriculate at BU."

I think offering specifics, including, if possible, the name of another top school that you have in hand, BU will be impressed with your level of commitment to them.
 
About the Ads