Letter of Interest???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! i was wondering if someone could provide me with some insight on how to write a letter of interest. Does anyone have a template letter or example they would be willing to share? Is there a proper format/length and is it necessary to say the school is your TOP choice or can you state it is ONE of your top choices? finally, who do you send it to? Admissions office, dean of admissions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

loi's should follow standard business letter format (you can google this pretty easily) and should be honest and concise (i.e., you should really only be sending one letter of intent to one school.) indicate that that school is your top choice, reiterate what impressed you about the school, and affirm that you would turn down all other acceptences if you received an offer of admission. leave a few blank spaces at the bottom to sign your name in ink.

is a letter of INTEREST the same as a letter of INTENT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters of Interest are inherently weak. If you weren't interested in the school, you wouldn't be applying. Plus, most secondary applications allow space for explaining your reasons for applying to the given school.

Yes, but on the secondary you might not know you love the school yet. After interviews there are a few schools [really just two] that I would LOVE to attend. So I am thinking of sending letters of interest to make sure they know that.

TheMightyAngus said:
Letters of Interest are inherently weak. If you weren't interested in the school, you wouldn't be applying. Plus, most secondary applications allow space for explaining your reasons for applying to the given school.
That's why I'm pushing myself as hard as I am right now, so that I can update them with good news about my grades, employment and research. Besides, I applied to a few schools that I am no longer interested in. I was accepted at MCW, so Wake Forest couldn't really convince me to even attend an interview. However, before I had gotten an acceptance, I couldn't be as selective as I can be now, so I applied to some schools that I wasn't particularly interested in. On the other hand, I'm very interested in a school that hasn't released its decisions yet, so I fully intend to write them a letter and tell them that I WILL go there if I get accepted.

UTpremed said:
Yes, but on the secondary you might not know you love the school yet. After interviews there are a few schools [really just two] that I would LOVE to attend. So I am thinking of sending letters of interest to make sure they know that.

Do you have any helpful hints on how writing these letters? Are they similar to secondary essays that ask "Why X school?"

thanks!

TheProwler said:
I'm very interested in a school that hasn't released its decisions yet, so I fully intend to write them a letter and tell them that I WILL go there if I get accepted.

This is why Letters of Interest are weak. You can count on tens or even hundreds of people writing Letters of Intent to certain popular or elite schools. If you want to make noise, send a Letter of Intent.

sign your name in blood, that should show them your devotion!

bubbleyum said:
sign your name in blood, that should show them your devotion!

:laugh: or promise to name your first born after the school :D

but in all seriousness think of it as simply a persuasive essay or a selling pitch. Give good reasons with concrete evidence to support it.

:luck:

N1DERL& said:
:laugh: or promise to name your first born after the school :D

but in all seriousness think of it as simply a persuasive essay or a selling pitch. Give good reasons with concrete evidence to support it.

:luck:

Eh, I think they'd prefer a promise to donate enough money so that they name a wing of the school after YOU. HAHAHA