This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtMajor

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have 4 of my letters pretty nailed down at this point (got 3 professors that know me well.. 2 science 1 non, + a PI/doc) but for a last one I thinking of using the parent of the kid that I have been volunteering with through Big Brothers Big Sisters. She seemed to enthusiastic to write one, and I think she could highlight my inter/intrapersonal competencies well with examples.​

How does this look to adcoms though? Is having a letter from someone like this parent frowned upon?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a bit like getting a letter from a patient. The appearance of coercion is difficult to avoid.
So should I not ask for one, even if I may be lacking in these competencies without it?

Members don't see this ad :)
No one will believe it from this source. She is thankful to you for helping her child. She would praise you no matter what.
Ok well if I don't really have anyone else I could ask, do you think I should leave this one out or include it anyway. Would being less believable be better than nothing?

Ok well if I don't really have anyone else I could ask, do you think I should leave this one out or include it anyway. Would being less believable be better than nothing?
The potential appearance of coercion is not worth the risk.