This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ArtMajor

Full Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have 4 of my letters pretty nailed down at this point (got 3 professors that know me well.. 2 science 1 non, + a PI/doc) but for a last one I thinking of using the parent of the kid that I have been volunteering with through Big Brothers Big Sisters. She seemed to enthusiastic to write one, and I think she could highlight my inter/intrapersonal competencies well with examples.​

How does this look to adcoms though? Is having a letter from someone like this parent frowned upon?

Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No one will believe it from this source. She is thankful to you for helping her child. She would praise you no matter what.
Ok well if I don't really have anyone else I could ask, do you think I should leave this one out or include it anyway. Would being less believable be better than nothing?