Letter of Rec desparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssj4vinh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one letter from a science professor as of right now. My other letters are from a physician I've shadowed and a physical therapist I've worked for for 2 years.

I need two more letters from professors to meet the requirements for most schools. I will be taking a chemistry and biology class from June-July 30. If I get a letter from each of these classes, will it be too late for this cycle? I know I'll meet the deadlines, but will it delay my app? I plan on getting verified ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

You need one more letter from a science prof and one letter from a non-science prof. You could ask for a letter from a prof this summer, but if your class ends on July 30, you still need to give them time to write you the letter. Minimum, I think, would be to ask them to write it in one month. Even if you got that letter submitted by early/mid August (yes, you would be 'late, in the SDN sense), you would still need a letter from a non-science prof. Think back, could you ask any profs from previous classes?

Reactions: 1 users
I can sign up for a non science class. Would painting, philosophy, or music be good choices?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a music course my senior year and I believe my professor wrote me a wonderful LOR.

Take a course you want to take, show that you're awesome (no sarcasm, seriously do it), excel and ask for a letter.

Reactions: 1 user
LORs are not needed until the secondary. So you can still submit your primary for verification without delay but your secondaries won't be marked complete till your LORs come in. A late august completion is not horrible, but it's just starting to get a little late by SDN standards.

I didn't have a non-science letter. I actually can't think of too many schools that I didn't get to apply to. Although my research letter was from a non-science field. I would try to email past professors - it's worth a shot. You don't need LORs until your secondaries are due, but I wouldn't submit your primary until you're sure you can get them. This would delay you a bit since you probably won't be verified until the end of August, but you don't wanna submit a primary then not meet the letter reqs for most schools and have to withdraw your app. You can take the risk depending on how you're feeling about your relationship with the professor near the end of June but idk.

Last edited:
I agree with @LuciusVorenus , my main concern is that throughout your summer courses, you'll be applying and counting on the letter, only to have the profs say 'no' or 'no I can't write you a letter until September'. It would suck to complete and submit your primary (time and money) only to have to withdraw afterwards due to lack of letters. I suppose you could be upfront with the profs and ask them at the beginning of the course if they would be willing to write you a letter, pending extensive outside of class interaction and a good grade. Again, I encourage you to email profs from previous classes and try to make something happen. Offer to meet with them in person to talk more about your goals/plans.