Letter of Rec (LOR) question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted238468

Hi!

I'm currently taking a non-science class that I'm doing really well in and am really interested in. I'm at the end of my 2nd year and would like to ask the professor a letter of recommendation. Is it too early to ask if I plan on applying at the end of my 4th year (taking a year off)? And if not, what should I do with the letter until then?

I just read a Letter of Rec Tips Article on the main SDN page and this came to mind.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning on taking any additional courses with this professor? Have you considered assisting this professor with research and developing a more significant relationship? You have potential to "grow" a very strong LOR with this professor.

Unless you plan to keep visiting with this prof after the class ends, then get the letter and store it on interfolio. It's better he write the letter while he still remembers you. You can always get other letters later if you want to.

Also, your user name does us no good without a picture :p

Members don't see this ad :)
@taylormade2006

I'm learning weapons system from him and he's an instructor in the ROTC system, so I know he doesn't do research, but i am definitely willing to take more classes with him - He's pretty awesome. But idk if his classes will fit into my schedule. I'll have to wait and see. Thanks!

@ rHinO1

Interfolio? Also, will med schools care that I got this rec technically 2 years from before I start applying? Thanks!

p.s. a) sn i had for other stuff in middle school and just keep using it out of habit
b) i'm not sure if my bf would be ok w/ me posting pics for everyone else to see ;D

@taylormade2006

I'm learning weapons system from him and he's an instructor in the ROTC system, so I know he doesn't do research, but i am definitely willing to take more classes with him - He's pretty awesome. But idk if his classes will fit into my schedule. I'll have to wait and see. Thanks!

@ rHinO1

Interfolio? Also, will med schools care that I got this rec technically 2 years from before I start applying? Thanks!

p.s. a) sn i had for other stuff in middle school and just keep using it out of habit
b) i'm not sure if my bf would be ok w/ me posting pics for everyone else to see ;D

interfolio is a website that will allow you to have confidential letters uploaded to it. Then when amcas opens in May you can forward the letters to them from interfolio. I think it is ~$25 for 3 years and $4 per letter transferred. It is well worth it pay so you can collect your letters early. Just wait ~2 months and this site will be flooded with people posting about having their apps delayed b/c a prof hasn't submitted a LOR for them yet.

2 years is kinda early, I would shoot for 6 months to 1 year early if it were me. However, the date on the letter isn't what matters, it is the content that the adcomms will look at.