letter of rec service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddick

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your help. Lets say for example you use your schools letter of rec service and you have seven or eight letters sent in. But the school that you are applying to only permits 4 letters, how do you go about indicating to that school whose letters you would like them to consider for your application? I know this is kind of random, but if anyone has any experience with this, i much appreciate your help.

Dick

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks in advance for your help. Lets say for example you use your schools letter of rec service and you have seven or eight letters sent in. But the school that you are applying to only permits 4 letters, how do you go about indicating to that school whose letters you would like them to consider for your application? I know this is kind of random, but if anyone has any experience with this, i much appreciate your help.

Dick

Usually with the letter sevice you can indicate what letters you want to send to a particular school. Therefore, you should send the four letters that you want them to consider for you application. Further more, some applications allow you to indicate the name for the recommender. So if your application allows this, just specify the four authors you want them to consider.

I hope that helps

also, try and tailor your letters to certain schools... ie if a school is research focused, maybe send a letter from your PI versus one from an employer or lower class course. Never go over the "permitted" amount of letters, and while most schools want 2 science and 1 non-science, some schools accept supplementary letters (some up to two more, some up to 5 more...just depends). I'd say try not to send more than 5 or 6, but remember that you can play to each school's strength with your letters.

also, from what I understand, confidential letters are the most useful, so try and make most of your letters those if possible.

As indicated above, you can generally tell the letter service which letters you would like to send to which school. Furthermore, as noted above, most secondaries ask you who will be writing your letters, upon which you can indicate who the selected letters will come from.