letter of recommendation conflict HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTtime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked the physical therapist that I interned for to write me a letter of recommendation as I really looked up to him and thought we had made a good relationship in the 4 months I spent at his clinic. He respond very quickly and sent me the letter about a week later. I was very happy with everything he had to say about me except as I got to the end he mentioned a presentation that I had done at the clinic and how great and informative it was. Well this presentation never happened... so now i am conflicted about if I should say something to him about it as I'm not sure if he maybe has me confused with a different previous intern or if he just accidentally put it in there but either way i don't want to insult his by calling him out on it. Should i just let it go and submit it to PTCAS as is or ask him about it? HELP

Members don't see this ad.

Can you set up this presentation ASAP? That would be one way to get around it.

Can you set up this presentation ASAP? That would be one way to get around it.
I no longer work for him so i don't see what help that would be. It's not that I was given this presentation as an assignment and just chose not to do it, it's the fact that he just put this in the letter for a reason i don't know and it is false information, i'm just conflicted if i should reach out and ask him to correct it or just leave it for what it is and submit to the ptcas

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should double check with him about the presentation and remove it. What if you're asked to elaborate on the presentation during an interview?

Isn't he going to submit it to PTCAS rather then you? So can you just ask him to remove it before he submits? I almost wonder if he was making something up to 'help' you, but obviously its unethical and could create a really awkward situation for you in an interview. If you really don't want to bring it up to him, you could email your schools and say something like 'I think there was a misunderstanding with one of my references. I believe he referred to a presentation that I never made.' That way you are being 100% transparent.

I am a little confused about you submitting it to PTCAS. He has to submit it himself (at least that's the way it worked when I applied). Is this a letter he sent you for your review? If that's the case, then by all means he wants your feedback before he submits. Or is this a courtesy copy of the reference he already submitted to PTCAS? (may have to get PTCAS involved to correct that one).

Once a reference has been submitted to PTCAS it is a pain to get changed. I had a small issue with one of mine and it took some work on behalf of both my reference and me. PTCAS won't allow you to change anything on the reference form for obvious reasons. The reference has to call PTCAS and request that either the submitted form is reopened or deleted. The reference can then make whatever changes they need and resubmit. Unfortunately calling PTCAS often means being on hold for 20-30 minutes so your reference has to REALLY like you if they are willing take take a good chunk out of a busy day to make the call.