Letter of recommendation from an MBBS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried searching on this thread several times, but it seems that no one has asked this question. I realize a lot of schools require a physician letter. However, I just realized, will schools automatically count me out if my physician letter of recommendation comes from an MBBS? It's not as if I just shadowed her - I helped conduct research at a hospital, and she knows me extremely well. There's no doubt in my mind that her letter is very a strong one. If it doesn't count, I honestly don't know what I'm going to do for this cycle. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I tried searching on this thread several times, but it seems that no one has asked this question. I realize a lot of schools require a physician letter. However, I just realized, will schools automatically count me out if my physician letter of recommendation comes from an MBBS? It's not as if I just shadowed her - I helped conduct research at a hospital, and she knows me extremely well. There's no doubt in my mind that her letter is very a strong one. If it doesn't count, I honestly don't know what I'm going to do for this cycle. Thanks.

My physician's letter was from someone that knew me quite well, but I did not shadow or work with in the clinic. Interviews and acceptances ensued. Sounds like yours can speak to your character and work ethic, so you should be fine.

My physician's letter was from someone that knew me quite well, but I did not shadow or work with in the clinic. Interviews and acceptances ensued. Sounds like yours can speak to your character and work ethic, so you should be fine.

Thanks, it's just that I worry - will it not count as a physician letter because she's an MMBS and not an MD/DO?

Thanks, it's just that I worry - will it not count as a physician letter because she's an MMBS and not an MD/DO?

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Since it's the equivalent of MD/DO it really should count. I don't think I know anyone who had an MBBS write their letter, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. You should call/email a school or two and ask, to get rid of any nagging worries.

Sorry that's all I got. I'd personally avoid schools that refuse to take an MBBS letter as that is suggestive of cultural problems to me.