Letter of Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMikes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was #1 out of ~1,000 students in one of my classes (Ochem Lab). However, in the structure of this class there is very minimal interaction with the "professors" as it is directed and run by teaching assistants. Due to my performance in this class and a relatively strong relationship I built with my TA throughout the semester I would prefer to get a letter of recommendation from him/as a part of this course.

I was told by some people that the TA will write the letter and the professors will cosign it, but I'm not sure if anybody has any experience with this or if it is frowned upon. Any advice you could lend would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

People have done it and it worked out for them.

I suggest you check with rach school with their requirements. I think ive seen some school not accepting letters ftom t/a or from a lab course.

But kudos on being 1/1000!

Members don't see this ad :)
Worst case scenario you'll still have a strong letter. Find another professor to cover your ground?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everybody! I was just concerned that it would be, in a way, from the TA and I've heard that this is frowned upon.

What's everyone's take on either having:

[3 strong letters of recommendation] or [3 strong letters and a 1 weak one (from a professor)] ?

The latter is to increase the number of schools one can potentially apply to...

What's everyone's take on either having:

[3 strong letters of recommendation] or [3 strong letters and a 1 weak one (from a professor)] ?

The latter is to increase the number of schools one can potentially apply to...
1 weak letter can and probably will hurt your application.

l
1 weak letter can and probably will hurt your application.
I believe so as well! Thanks so much for your input and helping me finalize my decision! Always quality over quantity.