Letter to Withdrawal an Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D. Helix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone what to write in a withdrawal of an acceptance letter. (Proper protocol)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

call the admin office. Some want an email, some want a short letter, some just require a phone call.

I would keep the letter brief(2-3 sentences). you can discuss reasons why over the phone if prompted but keep it brief. rejection letters are brief so no sense in making a long letter for declining an acceptance.

sentence 1:thanks
sentence 2:no thanks

One school was really great to me and I really wish I did not have to decline an acceptance there. I called and thanked someone in Admissions who was very helpful in the whole process. I thought a letter and no phone call was too impersonal for this situation.

D. Helix said:

Thanks

Write more than that. If you wish for human treatment during the entire process, treat them the same and write 'em more. Just remember to still keep it professional and not a letter to your sister.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I feel a phone call is more personal for this matter. no need to rehash what you discussed on the phone.

Redneck said:
Write more than that. If you wish for human treatment during the entire process, treat them the same and write 'em more. Just remember to still keep it professional and not a letter to your sister.

D. Helix said:

Thanks

Here is an example of the letter that I have been sending:

February 23, 2006

Office of Admissions
School of Medicine
ABC University
900 Ellis Avenue
Somewhere, AA 11111-1234

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to thank you for the offer of admission into the ABC University School of Medicine Class of 2010. I appreciate all the time and attention that ABC University has devoted to the consideration of application. The application and interview process at ABCU has been one of the most thorough and professional that I have experienced.

After careful deliberation, I must respectfully decline the offer for admission into the ABCU Medical School Class of 2010. While I believe strongly in the mission of your medical school and recognize the amazing medical education that your university offers, I do not believe that attending ABCU would match my current medical educational goals.

I have been very impressed with the admissions process at ABC University School of Medicine. I will continue to share my positive experience with other medical students. I would again like to thank you for all the time that was devoted to considering my application.

Sincerely,

DrLalich

Reactions: 1 user
D. Helix said:

Thanks
I did it. Common courtesy. Just thank them for their consideration and confidence and then let them have it. Good luck.
-bone
Or send them this pic:
10176109_c02dc67866_m.jpg

either way, they'll get the point.

D. Helix said:

Thanks

This is mineL

Dear Admissions Committee,

Thank you so very much for your offer of acceptance to X University Class of 2010. However, while X University was always at the top of my list, my decision for which medical school to attend was very difficult and filled with many complicating variables. Due to this, I am sorry to say that I will not be accepting your invitation to attend X University. Again, thank you for considering me as a potential student. I wish all of you on the admissions committee and the hard working admissions staff the best of luck in selecting the class of 2010.

Sign it and you are golden.

Gonna have to start drafting these. Not sure why, but it's really hard to write them. I genuinely liked all the school's I was accepted to.

Should we tell them in the email where we chose to go instead (and why? ie. scholarship $$$)?

Gonna have to start drafting these. Not sure why, but it's really hard to write them. I genuinely liked all the school's I was accepted to.

Should we tell them in the email where we chose to go instead (and why? ie. scholarship $$$)?

Good Lord. It's not rocket science, they don't care why you're not going.
How about.

Dear Dean X,
Thanks, but no thanks.
Best,
Il D

Or take their rejection letter from one of your buddies and send it back with the minimal necessary modifications. That would be much better.

I just wrote a brief email.

Dear Admission,

I would like to withdraw my acceptance from xxxxx school. Thank you very much for the opportunity.

Short and sweet. Thanks but no thanks. Nice and formal.

Here is what you should write in your letter, word for word:

Dear school,

I am respectfully declining my acceptance, and I would highly recommend that you extend an offer of acceptance to nikoness in my place.

I kept it simple, brief, and kind. I thanked the school for the opportunity, wished them well, stated a reason or two for withdrawing, and then signed it. E-mailed all of them.