You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Letter to Withdrawal an Acceptance
Started by D. Helix
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
call the admin office. Some want an email, some want a short letter, some just require a phone call.
I would keep the letter brief(2-3 sentences). you can discuss reasons why over the phone if prompted but keep it brief. rejection letters are brief so no sense in making a long letter for declining an acceptance.
sentence 1:thanks
sentence 2:no thanks
One school was really great to me and I really wish I did not have to decline an acceptance there. I called and thanked someone in Admissions who was very helpful in the whole process. I thought a letter and no phone call was too impersonal for this situation.
I would keep the letter brief(2-3 sentences). you can discuss reasons why over the phone if prompted but keep it brief. rejection letters are brief so no sense in making a long letter for declining an acceptance.
sentence 1:thanks
sentence 2:no thanks
One school was really great to me and I really wish I did not have to decline an acceptance there. I called and thanked someone in Admissions who was very helpful in the whole process. I thought a letter and no phone call was too impersonal for this situation.
D. Helix said:Anyone what to write in a withdrawal of an acceptance letter. (Proper protocol)
Thanks
R
Redneck
Write more than that. If you wish for human treatment during the entire process, treat them the same and write 'em more. Just remember to still keep it professional and not a letter to your sister.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I feel a phone call is more personal for this matter. no need to rehash what you discussed on the phone.
Redneck said:Write more than that. If you wish for human treatment during the entire process, treat them the same and write 'em more. Just remember to still keep it professional and not a letter to your sister.
Maybe explain why you don't want to attend, but the letter doesn't have to be fancy at all.
D. Helix said:Anyone what to write in a withdrawal of an acceptance letter. (Proper protocol)
Thanks
Here is an example of the letter that I have been sending:
February 23, 2006
Office of Admissions
School of Medicine
ABC University
900 Ellis Avenue
Somewhere, AA 11111-1234
To Whom It May Concern:
I would like to thank you for the offer of admission into the ABC University School of Medicine Class of 2010. I appreciate all the time and attention that ABC University has devoted to the consideration of application. The application and interview process at ABCU has been one of the most thorough and professional that I have experienced.
After careful deliberation, I must respectfully decline the offer for admission into the ABCU Medical School Class of 2010. While I believe strongly in the mission of your medical school and recognize the amazing medical education that your university offers, I do not believe that attending ABCU would match my current medical educational goals.
I have been very impressed with the admissions process at ABC University School of Medicine. I will continue to share my positive experience with other medical students. I would again like to thank you for all the time that was devoted to considering my application.
Sincerely,
DrLalich
I did it. Common courtesy. Just thank them for their consideration and confidence and then let them have it. Good luck.D. Helix said:Anyone what to write in a withdrawal of an acceptance letter. (Proper protocol)
Thanks
-bone
Or send them this pic:
either way, they'll get the point.
D. Helix said:Anyone what to write in a withdrawal of an acceptance letter. (Proper protocol)
Thanks
This is mineL
Dear Admissions Committee,
Thank you so very much for your offer of acceptance to X University Class of 2010. However, while X University was always at the top of my list, my decision for which medical school to attend was very difficult and filled with many complicating variables. Due to this, I am sorry to say that I will not be accepting your invitation to attend X University. Again, thank you for considering me as a potential student. I wish all of you on the admissions committee and the hard working admissions staff the best of luck in selecting the class of 2010.
Sign it and you are golden.
Gonna have to start drafting these. Not sure why, but it's really hard to write them. I genuinely liked all the school's I was accepted to.
Should we tell them in the email where we chose to go instead (and why? ie. scholarship $$$)?
Good Lord. It's not rocket science, they don't care why you're not going.
How about.
Dear Dean X,
Thanks, but no thanks.
Best,
Il D
Or take their rejection letter from one of your buddies and send it back with the minimal necessary modifications. That would be much better.
G
gmcguitar4
I just wrote a brief email.
Dear Admission,
I would like to withdraw my acceptance from xxxxx school. Thank you very much for the opportunity.
Dear Admission,
I would like to withdraw my acceptance from xxxxx school. Thank you very much for the opportunity.
I just wrote a brief email.
Dear Admission,
I would like to withdraw my acceptance from xxxxx school. Thank you very much for the opportunity.
Did you steal my emails!?!?
Haha I wrote pretty much that.
I kept it simple, brief, and kind. I thanked the school for the opportunity, wished them well, stated a reason or two for withdrawing, and then signed it. E-mailed all of them.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 697