Letters from Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgia465

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so my school sends out faculty letter of recommendation packets but refuses to include letters from physicians or letters not from faculty... my question is do you need letters from physicians? and when do med schools ask for these letters... is it part of the secondary? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so my school sends out faculty letter of recommendation packets but refuses to include letters from physicians or letters not from faculty... my question is do you need letters from physicians? and when do med schools ask for these letters... is it part of the secondary? thanks!

You don't NEED them, but it would be nice to have.

As for LOR's AMCAS collects them for some schools the rest can be mailed to the school. I think many of them want them along with your secondary, or shortly thereafter, can someone confirm?

Last edited:
You don't NEED them, but it would be nice to have.

As for LOR's AMCAS collects them for some schools the rest can be mailed to the school. I think many of them want them along with your primary, or shortly thereafter, can someone confirm?

ive never heard of a school requesting LORs with the primary. they go with the secondary applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
not having a physician letter isn't going to be a deal-breaker. i didn't have one and i know that a lot of successful applicants that didn't either.

work on getting good letters from people that your school will forward on; i.e. professors, PI, volunteer supervisors.

I'm actually kind of surprised your school won't let you use a letter from a physician. Having a letter from a doc is generally considered a good thing to have. I mean, we're applying to medical school, why not allow students to include a letter from an official doctor? You'd think they'd want to do everything to help you get into med school.

I'm actually kind of surprised your school won't let you use a letter from a physician. Having a letter from a doc is generally considered a good thing to have. I mean, we're applying to medical school, why not allow students to include a letter from an official doctor? You'd think they'd want to do everything to help you get into med school.

i think the common logic is that a doctor that you shadowed won't be able to really comment on your academic performance/critical thinking skills. they haven't really seen you do or be responsible for anything.

its more of a work load thing... the school sends out 3000+ packets and they decided it would be more efficient if they just processed faculty letters..thanks for the replies!

its more of a work load thing... the school sends out 3000+ packets and they decided it would be more efficient if they just processed faculty letters..thanks for the replies!

If you do have a physician or someone outside your schools faculty that would give a good rec, you can just have them mail it to the schools you're applying to directly. All LORs don't have to funnel through your school's pre med committee.

If you have all the necessary letters, and if the physician will write you a really good letter, I might use it as a backup letter for schools you end up being waitlisted at. Along with letters of interest to the schools, a letter would help, also.