Quantcast

Letters of Interest?

Free Sample Essays
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
2
I've been reading posts that recommend sending letters of interest to your schools. Does that really do any good? Can it be damaging (ie they didn't ask for it, so wouldn't it piss them off)? I want to do everything I can to get in this year, but I'm not sure if these letters will be helpful. Does anyone have actual experience with this? Thanks.
 

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
2
Still looking . . . :confused:

And to add to my original question, who do I send the letter to? I've been reading that some people are sending the letters to Dean's of Admission. Wouldn't you just send it to the Admissions address you were given when you applied?

Further, would it be appropriate to update in the letter your EC's? AND, should I mention that I'm retaking the April MCAT, so they might be able to consider that before outright rejecting me?

I know that's alot of questions, but I appreciate your input. Though I'll gladly reapply next year if necessary, I want to do everything I can to get in this year. I would think most of you can sympathize with that! :) Take care everyone!
 

bbtbay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
I am writing letters of interest right now to schools that I was given a "Hold" status prior to interview. The way that I see it, it gives the admissions committee something new to look at and read when they re-evaluate my file later on. Also, it also shows them how interested I really am in there school. I really don't see how it could be viewed negatively.
 

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,938
Reaction score
542
what are letters of intent? i thought they were just for once you have been accepted into the school
 

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
2
bbtbay said:
I am writing letters of interest right now to schools that I was given a "Hold" status prior to interview. The way that I see it, it gives the admissions committee something new to look at and read when they re-evaluate my file later on. Also, it also shows them how interested I really am in there school. I really don't see how it could be viewed negatively.

Yeah, I've been reading that some people are doing that. Unfortunately I'm not even getting put on hold. I haven't gotten any post-secondary rejections yet, but obviously I'm not assuming that I'm going to get an interview with all these schools either. Basically I haven't heard anything about my applications. I've gotten some pre-secondary rejections, but that's it. I know I'm at the bottom of every application pile, because of my MCAT score, and I'm wondering if I really want to draw any attention to that. I think I'll just crawl back under my hole and pretend nothing is happening! :laugh:
 

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
2
Haybrant said:
what are letters of intent? i thought they were just for once you have been accepted into the school

I was actually asking about letters of "interest," but I guess a letter of intent would be for those accepted. Though I think I've heard some people who get put on waitlists also send letters of intent to tell their top schools that they are VERY interested in attending there, and would likely take a spot if offered. I think it's especially prudent for those with great stats to do this. Many non-top tiered schools may reject really qualified applicants because they assume they wouldn't take the spot anyway. So with a letter of intent you can try to convince them that you would attend their university, and hopefully get an acceptance.
 

bbtbay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
Khenon-

Keep your head up. My roommate from last year had a MCAT around yours and was very proactive in this whole application process. He arranged to meet with deans of admissions on the side (not a formal interview invite) and he eventually got an interview and was accepted. I think you have to do whatever is possible to make yourself stand out. If it means writing a letter of interest, just do it. Its better than just waiting around. Give them something more to think about. That's just my humble opinion (this is what I'm trying to do).
 

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
1,025
Reaction score
2
bbtbay said:
Khenon-

Keep your head up. My roommate from last year had a MCAT around yours and was very proactive in this whole application process. He arranged to meet with deans of admissions on the side (not a formal interview invite) and he eventually got an interview and was accepted. I think you have to do whatever is possible to make yourself stand out. If it means writing a letter of interest, just do it. Its better than just waiting around. Give them something more to think about. That's just my humble opinion (this is what I'm trying to do).

Thanks, bbtbay! That was encouraging. For some of my apps, I do need to give them time. I had a lazy LOR, so 3 of my schools are just now complete. And one school only recently sent me a secondary, and it's just complete this week. So I guess there's a few though I could send a letter to . . . been complete since August scores posted (they sent me secondaries earlier, but I'm sure they were waiting for the scores before "really" looking at me). Hmmm . . . I guess I should get on it then! :)
 
Top