Letters of rec after grad school for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted950958

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all. I am going to be applying this round for an MD, and I am currently working on a master's degree as well. I am starting to ask for letters of rec and I am unsure how many should come from my undergrad vs my graduate program. I went right to the masters after graduating undergrad, so im not too far removed from my undergraduate school that I couldnt get any letters from them. I have one letter from my graduate program already from my PI, but the rest of the letters I am still unsure who to ask. Would one from undergrad and 2 from my graduate degree be what they're looking for? Thanks!
 
Is your masters a hard science?
Each medical school has their own specific requirements but the rule of thumb is
2 science faculty that have been course instructors
1 non-science faculty that been course instructors

A PI may or may not satisfy this

Yes I am in a hard science masters. All of my professors for this degree have all been science professors, my PI included
 
Having gone through the same thing, I can say that some schools actually have specific instructions for that case (ie requiring a specific mix of letters, or a letter from your major professor/thesis advisor). That being said, I'm currently at one of those schools and my letters didn't exactly fit what they had asked for; it never came up at any point. I'd say it's worth looking at the specific guidelines for schools, but you'll generally be good following Gonnif's breakdown.