Letters of Rec for Masters + Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icgitar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm a senior at Boston University and I have a few professors/teachers who I believe can write me great recommendations. However, I want to apply for a Masters degree first, and I do not want to expend these recommendations just for my Masters.

Would it be appropriate to use a letter of rec for both my masters and medical school (when the time comes to apply) or should I ask each professor to write two?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll want to ask them to write two. Most individuals especially professors know how to tailor letters of reccomendation for graduate schools, professional schools, jobs etc.

My personal reccomendation would be to ask for your masters, then maintain contact with the individuals. A simple email every few months updating them on your life and goals goes a long way. Then when it’s time to apply to medical school ask if they wouldn’t mind writing a updated letter of recommendation.

Reactions: 1 user
You’ll want to ask them to write two. Most individuals especially professors know how to tailor letters of reccomendation for graduate schools, professional schools, jobs etc.

My personal reccomendation would be to ask for your masters, then maintain contact with the individuals. A simple email every few months updating them on your life and goals goes a long way. Then when it’s time to apply to medical school ask if they wouldn’t mind writing a updated letter of recommendation.

That's a great idea. Thanks!