Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiogirl2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am currently a junior and I am struggling to find a professor to write one of my LOR. I have 2 coming from the doctors I did research for this summer (both of which are professors/on admissions at my top med school choice). I wanted to know if it would be "frowned upon" to get a letter of rec from my communications professor. I currently do honors research for her, and I feel as though she is best suited to speak about my work ethic/personality. I have 4.0ed most of my core science classes, but those professors never formed that close of relationships with me. What do you think I should do? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You still have time to develop the relationship. Most core science professors see hundreds of students a year and they don't just write for the ones they know. Email 2-3 of the professors and say:

"Hi Prof. SoAndSo,

My name is @physiogirl2019. I was a student of yours in Class XYZ in the Fall of 2016. I'm currently a Junior and will be applying to medical school next year and currently looking for professors to write Letters of Recommendation on my behalf. Although we didn't interact much while I was a student of your, I did enjoy and excel in your course and was hoping you would consider writing one of my letters. I'd be happy to send you my CV or come to your office hours to help fill in the blanks. Thank you in advance for the consideration. "**

**This should not be used as is. It was written in 30 seconds to give an idea of the context.

Reactions: 1 user
Participate in lecture, show enthusiasm, attend office hours. Even if you understand it, it'll further solidify your knowledge.

Furthermore, you're supposed to have a non-science professor write you a letter along with 2 science professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Communications professor is good. You should aim for at least 1 letter from a core science class. Usually when you take upper division courses your junior and senior year the classes are smaller and you can form closer relationships with the profs.

1 science
1 humanities (communications)
2 research PIs

You should be straight although many recommend 2 science 1 non science (I didn't and I turned out fine). Although I would definitely get one from someone who actually taught you in a class. Also I would try to get one from an extracurricular like volunteering etc.

Sorry, but I thought core classes are usually lower division. WOuld it not be better to get an upper division as those classes are more intense and science heavy? What's your thought process on a core class letter.

Sorry, but I thought core classes are usually lower division. WOuld it not be better to get an upper division as those classes are more intense and science heavy? What's your thought process on a core class letter.

For medical school purposes, getting a LOR from a "intro to chemistry" professor is no less valuable than a LOR from "advanced inorganic chemistry" professor. The QUALITY of the letter is what it matters.

It's usually easier to get the LOR in upper-div courses because there tend to be less students.

Reactions: 1 users
For medical school purposes, getting a LOR from a "intro to chemistry" professor is no less valuable than a LOR from "advanced inorganic chemistry" professor. The QUALITY of the letter is what it matters.

It's usually easier to get the LOR in upper-div courses because there tend to be less students.

Read the question for closely. He said nothing about relationships with professors. He said get a letter from a core class as if they should, no matter what.

As for the letter, the purpose of science letters is to attest to your academic competency. Assuming the rule where you only get a letter from a professor where you got an A- or higher is followed, I'd say UD letters are better, assuming, of course, both professors know you equally well. If you're equally enthusiastic in all classes, class size won't matter, you'll still stand out. Even if the class size is small, the professor will have had lots of students through their career.

Last edited:
Best way to get the most vague general letter that cannot talk about your personal qualities in the slightest.
That's why I said you should offer to meet with them. She still has time. Not everyone has the opportunity to take upper division classes. OP talks about doing honors research with a comm professor, she may not be a science major.

UPDATE: I emailed my old organic chemistry prof and he required I send my CV, a page personal statement on why I want to go to medical school, and arranged an interview with me. Also, to clear up anything, I am a physio major. My comm professor is for an elective and I ended up doing honors research with her for an honors credit (I am in the honors college). I will most likely ask her as well. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
Man some of these LOR writers are hardcore. Personal statement, CV, and interview?

Man some of these LOR writers are hardcore. Personal statement, CV, and interview?

I once read a LOR from a professor. They did not even use any of the details on my CV or essay. I think it was just to see if the applicant has any real shot of making it because let's face it, wouldn't you want to know if the student has a real shot before writing them a letter? If they don't it's a waste of time.