Letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anatomicalagb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just rejected from MSUCOM and had a meeting with and admissions counselor which was very little help as they could not say anything specific about my app or interview. The only thing that she could tell me is that 2 of my faculty letters are old. My letters are from when I was in school and I am on my second gap i.e have been out of school for 2 years and the letters are one year old. I have gotten some DO interviews but I am wondering if I should try to contact those letter writers to have them update their letters for me? And if I should send the updated letters to school that have already offered me interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

So I was just rejected from MSUCOM and had a meeting with and admissions counselor which was very little help as they could not say anything specific about my app or interview. The only thing that she could tell me is that 2 of my faculty letters are old. My letters are from when I was in school and I am on my second gap i.e have been out of school for 2 years and the letters are one year old. I have gotten some DO interviews but I am wondering if I should try to contact those letter writers to have them update their letters for me? And if I should send the updated letters to school that have already offered me interviews?
Nope, just stay the course. 2 years old is not that old, they are just making excuses. Keep on moving brother, you got plenty of other choices in the DO party.

I am assuming you tried MD the last two cycles and didn't get in (hence the two gap years), so I will spare you the whole try MD first thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, just stay the course. 2 years old is not that old, they are just making excuses. Keep on moving brother, you got plenty of other choices in the DO party.

I am assuming you tried MD the last two cycles and didn't get in (hence the two gap years), so I will spare you the whole try MD first thing.

Yeah I tried md and do the first cycle and didn’t get in anywhere. Now my app is twice as strong and I’m doing both again. MSUCOM was just the first decision I had.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I tried md and do the first cycle and didn’t get in anywhere. Now my app is twice as strong and I’m doing both again. MSUCOM was just the first decision I had.
Honestly the shine isn't as strong on MSUCOM as it used to be. I think TCOM has already supplanted them as the best DO school the last few years even before the Nassar thing. So no big loss. Just do your research (here on SDN) before you put a deposit down. There are a lot of pitfalls to try and avoid in the DO world. Make sure you figure out what things you need to succeed.

I personally recommend non-mandatory attendance as a big one (they will still cheat and make you come most days, but at least some of the classes are skip-able), and looking at how many electives you get in third year also(not selective, because your school could suddenly decide the selective you want is no longer on the list like mine did to me...) . Always try to get ahold of a current second year schedule (preferably from last spring) so you can see what the school is really doing in crunch time before boards. Also find out whether they are a '70% in each components' (labs, quizes, and test must each be over 70%) or a 70% overall passing policy. A lot of schools will use this as a way to get you with quizes making classes mandatory, or worse, claiming you failed a class after the fact over a quiz when you are before committee for something else (and yes I have heard of this happening).

So in short:
f80dbe61d1fe7e4fc9688147c21334b7.500x375x48.gif

I had the same issue when applying. Most schools from what I can remember wanted letters that were under 3 years old. I think you'll be fine with what you have.

That’s why you don’t date letters, that way they are ageless :p

My 2 undergrad science professor letters were over 3 years old. Your letters are fine IMO.

Just a +1 to this, my letters were written in early 2016 and I have 2 DO acceptances. Your letters being 1-2 years old should not be an issue unless MSUCOM has a specific requirement for them

Just a +1 to this, my letters were written in early 2016 and I have 2 DO acceptances. Your letters being 1-2 years old should not be an issue unless MSUCOM has a specific requirement for them
Which they don’t. They just rejected and won’t give me a reason

I just dont like that some schools have the 2 year old LOR rule based of matriuclation year, not submission year. I've had to DQ a few schools for this.