letters of recomendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.E

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a bit confused now. AADSAS recomends that we request to have our profs write our letters of recomendation early, and to have the letters of rec sent with the "Letters of Evaluation Form". Still, they don't have this form available for 2006, so what are we to do? Are we expected to have our professors hold on to the letters of recomendation until we are able to get this form or what?

Members don't see this ad.

Buddy, you are atleast 5 months away from the next admissions cycle; so don't rush about sending the recommendation letters to the AADSAS. Wait till the end of March or April; then ask your prof's to write your letters and also give them ample time atleast 2 to 3 weeks. As May approaches the AADSAS will have your Evaluation forms ready and probably you would be the first applicant for the 2006 application cycle.

Yes, Mr. E, you are very early! What AADSAS means is that you should start to plan ahead to May or June. Wait for the form to become available in the next couple of months (if you send in your LOR's for the 2006 cycle now they will discard them as they will start accepting them around the 1st of May) and then have your professors send their letters in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought we had to use interfolio. I already had a professor write me a letter and post it to interfolio. She lives 4 hours away now so do I still have to send in the other form with another letter. I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me.

mccarth2 said:
I thought we had to use interfolio. I already had a professor write me a letter and post it to interfolio. She lives 4 hours away now so do I still have to send in the other form with another letter. I would appreciate if someone could explain this to me.

Interfolio is an option, not a requirement. You can submit a copy of everything (although AADSAS states they don't want a copy of your DAT scores) directly to AADSAS and they will mail it out to your various schools as a packet. I didn't use Interfolio and am not sure if you need to supplement her letter with additional forms.

Okay so now we need ANOTHER form for these lors? There is another form I should have given my professors to write the LOR? I gave them alot about myself, and our schools consent wavier form, do I need anything else, and what if they already wrote the letters??? HELP!

You're right, they won't make the forms available until later (around April I think...?). If you are asking professors for courses you're currently taking, I would let them know that you would like them to write your letter of rec. Of course these ones aren't going to write your letter at this moment...but they would probably appreciate you giving them the heads up. Usually students don't come to professors until much later, and they get bogged down with requests. If you give them the heads up early, it gives a good impression and shows you're responsible and serious about dental school. Once the form becomes available you can take it in to the professor and they can send your letter off with the form. For the 2005 cycle the earliest that AADSAS accepted letters of rec. was May 1st. If the professor you are asking is a past prof. let them know right now that you would like them to write a letter and keep it on file until the form becomes available. Its good you're doing all of this early. Professors definately appreciated being notified early that you are requesting a letter of rec. Its definately a plus! GOOD LUCK!!

dexadental said:
Okay so now we need ANOTHER form for these lors? There is another form I should have given my professors to write the LOR? I gave them alot about myself, and our schools consent wavier form, do I need anything else, and what if they already wrote the letters??? HELP!

There is a LOR matching form you need to fill out and have enclosed with the LOR. Basically it lists your name and other information so that AADSAS can match it with the correct applicant. You have plenty of time to send it in (remember, AADSAS is not accepting materials for the 2006 cycle until May). Just give a copy of the form to your recommendors - they'll understand. :)