This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out who I should ask for LOR's for this cycle, this is what I have so far:

1. Chemistry professor (taking the class now, on the path for an A)
2. Microbiology professor
3. My academic advisor
4. Cardiologist DO (shadowed for ~50 hours)
5. Orthopedic Surgeon DO (been working for him since February)

I've been trying to decide on a 6th letter...I have a stellar LOR from my volunteer coordinator from a local firehouse I've volunteered at my entire life. I also could ask another doctor that I shadowed, he's a pulmonologist MD that I shadowed for ~20 hours. Or I could ask my English professor if a nonscience professor letter would be better (I did really well in her class and she told me last year she would write a letter for me if I needed one)

Any thoughts? Volunteer coordinator, MD, or English prof? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Somebody has to read these things, more does not necessarily mean better.

You're fine with what you have.

I've been trying to figure out who I should ask for LOR's for this cycle, this is what I have so far:

1. Chemistry professor (taking the class now, on the path for an A)
2. Microbiology professor
3. My academic advisor
4. Cardiologist DO (shadowed for ~50 hours)
5. Orthopedic Surgeon DO (been working for him since February)

I've been trying to decide on a 6th letter...I have a stellar LOR from my volunteer coordinator from a local firehouse I've volunteered at my entire life. I also could ask another doctor that I shadowed, he's a pulmonologist MD that I shadowed for ~20 hours. Or I could ask my English professor if a nonscience professor letter would be better (I did really well in her class and she told me last year she would write a letter for me if I needed one)

Any thoughts? Volunteer coordinator, MD, or English prof? Thanks!

Do we nned to
Somebody has to read these things, more does not necessarily mean better.

You're fine with what you have.
Goro, would the letters appear weaker if there isn't one from a non-science professor?

Members don't see this ad :)
The weakest letters are ones that merely tell us you're a good kid. A History or Sociology professor can tell us if you can handle difficult concepts and have a good work ethic, and are genial, just as well as any Chem or Bio professor.

Doctor's LOR are generally the least informative. DO schools ask for them because the AOA wants to see that you've done due diligence about your prospective career, and give you extra credit for going the extra mile and seeking out a DO.

Do we nned to

Goro, would the letters appear weaker if there isn't one from a non-science professor?

Biochemistry professor
Cell Biology professor
Philosophy professor
Family Practice DO letter
MD Physician letter (whom I worked for)

Not to hijack this thread, but would these suffice? 2 hard science letter writers, one non-science, and two physician letters?