Letters of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plowi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand the principle, but what exactly does a good one look like?

Length of letter, type of stuff they address, and stuff like that.

How exactly do I ask for one and how long should I expect them to write it?

Do I photocopy the letters for each school Im applying to?

Thanks.

Im asking because I told them to write me a letter and got a pretty short one, although it seems OK.

Members don't see this ad.

Different schools have different requirements for LORs. I'm sure nearly all require more than one letter that is sent directly to them. In other words, they don't want letters that you've seen. You need to find out which schools you want to apply to and what their requirements are. Some schools use PharmCAS which allows for one set of letters to be submitted to several schools (all of my choices were PharmCAS schools). Other schools have forms that are filled out and sent to them.

Give the people that you ask to write recommendations for you several weeks to get it done (at the very least). My o-chem professor took two months to write the letter - so I'm glad I planned ahead.

I guess the best way to ask for a LOR is just to ask if they would be willing to write a recommendation for you. I gave each of my recommenders a copy of my personal statement and transcripts and spent time with them talking about my long-term goals. The best people to give recommendations are people who know you (like the professor at who's office hours you are a regular).

It sounds like you're new to this process. I recommend lots of time spent on researching schools and planning out your applicaton process. The process is somewhat involved. I'm working mine in stages: research, master application, and (now) supplemental applications. (Why I have to write MORE essays escapes me.)

Good luck and hang on tight! ;)

Troy

i really hate asking for LORs. i get a huge knot in my stomach. I just say DO IT EARLY and it is okay if you don't get to read them if you trust the person who wrote it for you.