Letters of Recommendations Classification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a bunch of posts about LORs and I have looked through a few of them. My question is regarding the classification of LORs. Most medical colleges require a letter of recommendation from a science and a non-science professor.

The list below are those that I have asked/agreed:

2 Professors (UG) who I did research under writing for me
1 Academic Coordinator (UG) who I did peer tutoring under
1 Mathematics Professor (UG) who I took calculus I & II (knows me well)

I also plan on asking some of my professors in pharmacy school for a graduate letter including the department head of pharmaceutical sciences.

My question remains is whether or not mathematics would be counted as non-sciences or anything else that may sub? I would consider math a science but who knows what others would classify it as.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are a bunch of posts about LORs and I have looked through a few of them. My question is regarding the classification of LORs. Most medical colleges require a letter of recommendation from a science and a non-science professor.

The list below are those that I have asked/agreed:

2 Professors (UG) who I did research under writing for me
1 Academic Coordinator (UG) who I did peer tutoring under
1 Mathematics Professor (UG) who I took calculus I & II (knows me well)

I also plan on asking some of my professors in pharmacy school for a graduate letter including the department head of pharmaceutical sciences.

My question remains is whether or not mathematics would be counted as non-sciences or anything else that may sub? I would consider math a science but who knows what others would classify it as.

In general, science = the same as BCMP (one of the ACMAS GPAs) - Biology, chemistry, math, physics.

So professors who taught you in a course in any of these subjects will be a science professor.

Professors who taught you in a course on anything else will be non-science.

Anyone who did not actually teach you in a class will be other. (if you want your research professors to count as science you could take a course with them)

So:

2 Professors (UG) who I did research under writing for me - Other (research)
1 Academic Coordinator (UG) who I did peer tutoring under - Other (boss)
1 Mathematics Professor (UG) who I took calculus I & II (knows me well) - Science

In general the safe number to cover pretty much every med school in the country is 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 other (minimum)

So you still need 1 science and 1 non-science. It would also be nice if there was someone who could comment on your work in a clinical setting but a lot of people don't have that.