Letters of Recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYUyankeezfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in mainly applying to allopathic IM programs but am interested in applying for 2 dually-accredited IM programs via the NMS and NRMP matches. I have 3 of the 4 letters I need thus far. If I assign 3 of the letters before the 4th one is uploaded, would I still be able to upload the 4th letter to those programs after assigning those documents? Thanks!

*My COMLEX Level 1 was a 556; COMLEX Level 2 was 665*

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm in mainly applying to allopathic IM programs but am interested in applying for 2 dually-accredited IM programs via the NMS and NRMP matches. I have 3 of the 4 letters I need thus far. If I assign 3 of the letters before the 4th one is uploaded, would I still be able to upload the 4th letter to those programs after assigning those documents? Thanks!

*My COMLEX Level 1 was a 556; COMLEX Level 2 was 665*

You can assign letters whenever you want. Once you assign them, you can't "un-assign" them though. Your max numbers to assign per program are 4. If you assign 3 now, you can assign the 4th later when its uploaded.

You can assign letters whenever you want. Once you assign them, you can't "un-assign" them though. Your max numbers to assign per program are 4. If you assign 3 now, you can assign the 4th later when its uploaded.
Thanks for the response. But before I assign the 3 letters, I technically have to "Certify" my application, right? And since I've already assigned the letter (and it's printed out, I'm just waiting for him to upload it), there shouldn't be a problem once it's uploaded?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. But before I assign the 3 letters, I technically have to "Certify" my application, right? And since I've already assigned the letter (and it's printed out, I'm just waiting for him to upload it), there shouldn't be a problem once it's uploaded?

As far as I know, you can't assign your letters to programs until you apply and you can't apply until your application is complete. By application, I mean that application portion of your ERAS, not the additional documents. You confirming the letter and printing the request form only means that its ready to be uploaded by your letter writer.

You can assign letters to any program that you apply to, and I believe you can do that whether they are uploaded or not. I don't really recommend assigning them before they're uploaded though unless you anticipate a huge delay between upload and you assigning them, because as I mentioned you can only assign 4 letters per program and you can't un-assign letters.

As far as I know, you can't assign your letters to programs until you apply and you can't apply until your application is complete. By application, I mean that application portion of your ERAS, not the additional documents. You confirming the letter and printing the request form only means that its ready to be uploaded by your letter writer.

You can assign letters to any program that you apply to, and I believe you can do that whether they are uploaded or not. I don't really recommend assigning them before they're uploaded though unless you anticipate a huge delay between upload and you assigning them, because as I mentioned you can only assign 4 letters per program and you can't un-assign letters.
I'd say that with the exception of that 1 letter of rec, my ERAS application is complete.