Homer101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
To all the people starting the MPH this fall. Congratulations guys! However my question is what are most of you guys planning to do? Work in the health sector with the MPH or get another degree. You can combine a lot of things with the MPH: MBA, JD, MD...etc

Just wanted to know what most people were thinking of doing after the MPH.

Albondiga

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
I received my MPH prior to medical school, and now I am completing residency. I'm considering re-entering the public health field, although I'm not sure how practical this would be for me (educational debt, loans, etc). Most people I think use their MPH to gain administrative status, pursue research, use it as a career change, or are offered the degree as part of another program (residency/fellowship). I don't think there is much place for MPH in the private sector.

AspiringDoctor9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Homer101 said:
To all the people starting the MPH this fall. Congratulations guys! However my question is what are most of you guys planning to do? Work in the health sector with the MPH or get another degree. You can combine a lot of things with the MPH: MBA, JD, MD...etc

Just wanted to know what most people were thinking of doing after the MPH.
Hihi!

Well, let's see - for my department, Health Management and Policy, people often go into administrative residencies/fellowships after the MPH degree. These are 1-2 year programs at major teaching hospitals where they have you work directly under the CEO, CFO, etc., as well as train and pay you. After this you're supposed to be more competitive since you'll have had working experience at a good institution. As far as my plans go, after this I am going to return to school for a JD or MBA (I haven't decided which yet). I hope this helps!

OP
H

Homer101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
Hi Doc.
yea I am kinda thinking on the same lines as well. My MPH is in global health and development. JD with a human rights concentration or MBA/MS in international fianance or busniess seems a good option. Don't know which way I will go. Let me know what you decide though. OR what places I should look at to make the decision.

omam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
Albondiga said:
I received my MPH prior to medical school, and now I am completing residency. I'm considering re-entering the public health field, although I'm not sure how practical this would be for me (educational debt, loans, etc). Most people I think use their MPH to gain administrative status, pursue research, use it as a career change, or are offered the degree as part of another program (residency/fellowship). I don't think there is much place for MPH in the private sector.
This is very interesting and relevant to me. I'm considering an MPH or M.S in Public Health right now and there is a chance I'll get an MD down the road. My big concern is the huge debt for the masters and then the MD. I'm thinking it might hinder me from doing more service oriented work in the public health sector...any thoughts from your own experience?